KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

Lightnings used to take off on afterburners from RAF Coltishall to chase away the daily Russian (remember them? - flew down over the North Sea to test our air defences).  The Lightning would fly at almost ground level until over Horsey Mere then go into a vertical climb passing through the sound barrier as it did.

I remember sailing on Horsey Mere one time when it happened.  Immense rush of air and heat knocking the boat over almost onto its side, then two loud bangs.

Exciting in hindsight......

Les

afterthought - how hot was GT3's exhaust?

Edited by Les1952
afterthought
  • Like 2

Strange, I thought this was a KR Models' GT3 thread, but I'm the worst for going off topic anyway!!

Who cares, momentarily, Lightning was typical of British engineering and ingenuity at the time - brilliant, but flawed.

Once on afterburn time was limited but 'chasing the Bears' was pretty routine as you said.

Anyway, what was the power classification of the GT3?

6P6F?

Al.

1 minute ago, ovbulleid said:

This may have already been answered, but why did the designers go to the effort of designing a locomotive which didn’t need a fireman or a boiler but still had a cab in the middle? Why not have a single cab at the front instead?

Would it be to do with the air intake for the engine? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ovbulleid said:

This may have already been answered, but why did the designers go to the effort of designing a locomotive which didn’t need a fireman or a boiler but still had a cab in the middle? Why not have a single cab at the front instead?

You’ve got a spare 5MT frame and wheelsets, why not use them? Personally it’s why I love GT3. I haven’t given up on somehow marrying a class 15 body shell to a 4MT chassis. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, scots region said:

You’ve got a spare 5MT frame and wheelsets, why not use them? Personally it’s why I love GT3. I haven’t given up on somehow marrying a class 15 body shell to a 4MT chassis. 

That myth was dispelled at the start of the thread

On 07/12/2018 at 07:59, cctransuk said:

There has been a lot of misinformation published about GT3 - but my extensive research indicated that the frames and wheel spacing of GT3 matched nothing except the 'Manors'; certainly not Black or Standard Fives.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

On 07/12/2018 at 18:04, Clive Mortimore said:

From Wikipedia "As constructed the locomotive was built with bespoke heavy steel frames which not only bore the auxiliaries, combustion chamber, turbines, heat exchanger and locomotive cab, but also provided adhesive weight for the finished machine."

It did not have a steam loco set of frames and steam loco frames would have been unsuitable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

18 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Lightnings used to take off on afterburners from RAF Coltishall to chase away the daily Russian (remember them? - flew down over the North Sea to test our air defences).  The Lightning would fly at almost ground level until over Horsey Mere then go into a vertical climb passing through the sound barrier as it did.

I remember sailing on Horsey Mere one time when it happened.  Immense rush of air and heat knocking the boat over almost onto its side, then two loud bangs.

Exciting in hindsight......

Les

afterthought - how hot was GT3's exhaust?

Roast seals!

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

That myth was dispelled at the start of the thread

I always had the impression that the reason it was constructed on steam-locomotive type frames was to test the idea that steam locomotives could be converted to gas turbines. A little thought added to the information that the frames were three times thicker than normal steam locomotive frames in order to provide enough adhesive weight would invalidate that idea. Recently I read that the designer wanted to use a conventional layout because he thought that the more usual bogie layout was too innovative. That makes more sense, especially bearing in mind how long it took to get the locomotive from drawing board to a working reality. When it was first thought of, bogies would have been less common than they were when it eventually appeared.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I thought I read somewhere it was simply because the steam engine layout was the de facto for a large Locomotive and it was based on that, nothing more.

I’d guess also it was less “radical” for both the companies and crew to accept.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2021 at 15:24, KR Models said:

They should be in the country by the end of the month, hoping nothing goes wrong. Once they are, we will be sending out a general email, as well as tracking information for each customer.

Woohoo can't wait! Put my name down straight away at Warley 2018 (If anyone remembers such a time or place!)

On 19/02/2021 at 10:18, gordon s said:

Just happened to stumble across this a few minutes ago. Fairly sure it would have been spotted before, but can't plough back through 64 pages to check.....;)

.......but you never know....

had to look twice but i am indeed in the deltic gathering pic at shildon out of all the videos haha

20 hours ago, brossard said:

My friend recently received his model.  What a beauty!  He brought it round yesterday and I was very impressed.  He did make a video but hasn't posted it yet.  The "tender" sports the English Electric logo.

John

I got rather excited reading your post until i relised your'e in Quebec !

• Agree 1

Ha ha, yes.  Apparently models have to be shipped to the UK.  I was quite surprised, looking at the site, that despite prices being GBP and the web address incorporating ".co.uk", their address is Edmonton Alberta.  Still Rapido are doing sterling work.

John

On 28/02/2021 at 06:44, brossard said:

Ha ha, yes.  Apparently models have to be shipped to the UK.  I was quite surprised, looking at the site, that despite prices being GBP and the web address incorporating ".co.uk", their address is Edmonton Alberta.  Still Rapido are doing sterling work.

John

Rapido??

• Friendly/supportive 1

I was probably a bit obtuse.  My point was that there are Canadian companies producing UK models.  That is a very good thing.

John

Let me add that the models being produced by both companies are superb.  Something to be proud of.

Edited by brossard
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Slow boat from China has took on a whole new meaning in 2021.

Not just KR, but everyone.

I just wonder if when the ships come in, anyone will be at home to recieve them.

if they dock after June i’m hoping to be in the big blue sea with the ship.. holding a cocktail.

On 10/02/2021 at 19:25, Les1952 said:

Lightnings used to take off on afterburners from RAF Coltishall to chase away the daily Russian (remember them? - flew down over the North Sea to test our air defences).  T

We were on the coast road near near Sheringham many years ago  when a squadrons worth of  Jaguars from Coltishall flew over so low the whole ground,cars and people  shook  .Kids were scared ,dogs barking ,blokes saying "cor" and wifes saying "idiots ".I can still feel it..It felt as if you jumped up you would lose your hand I would have hated to have been on the receiving end of that lot .I still miss them and no Red Arrows using coltishall as a base sometimes .