KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Slow boat from China has took on a whole new meaning in 2021.

Not just KR, but everyone.

I just wonder if when the ships come in, anyone will be at home to recieve them.

if they dock after June i’m hoping to be in the big blue sea with the ship.. holding a cocktail.

I doubt it being slow.  If it departed China about the time KR implied that it was on the ship leaving China then the ship should reach a UK port sometime during this month, if it isn't here already.  Exact duration of the voyage depends on the route it is working as some vessels go past British ports on their way to the Baltic and call here on the way back.   Stuff now seems to be clearing UK Customs more quickly than had been the case with earlier arrivals caught up in the backlog.

If the ship's name were known it would only a minute or so to find out where it is .

• RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2021 at 20:25, Les1952 said:

I remember sailing on Horsey Mere one time when it happened. 

A bit different from Betjeman's take.

"How cold the bathe, how chattering cold the drying,
  How welcoming the inland reeds appear,
The wood-smoke and the breakfast and the frying,
  And your warm freshwater ripples, Horsey Mere."

• Like 1

You can see a video of the GT3 with train on our club layout in the Facebook link in my signature.

John

I tried to link the video directly but it didn't work.  Possibly because I refuse to sign up for FB.

Edited by brossard
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I doubt it being slow.  If it departed China about the time KR implied that it was on the ship leaving China then the ship should reach a UK port sometime during this month, if it isn't here already.  Exact duration of the voyage depends on the route it is working as some vessels go past British ports on their way to the Baltic and call here on the way back.   Stuff now seems to be clearing UK Customs more quickly than had been the case with earlier arrivals caught up in the backlog.

If the ship's name were known it would only a minute or so to find out where it is .

there are still 2-3 month delays in UK ports.

Some ships are refusing to serve UK ports.

others are charging premiums, inc a $2000 UK handling fee.

generally container shipping prices have gone from $2k to $12k for Asia UK container shipping.

https://theloadstar.com/buoyant-ocean-carriers-set-to-roll-out-peak-season-surcharges-months-early/

it is expected to last throughout this year and possibly into next.

https://theloadstar.com/china-looks-ready-to-step-in-again-and-put-a-cap-on-ocean-freight-rates/

several articles on this site suggest that shipping companies might be encouraging the high prices too.

I understand one model railway manufacturer has already said they diverted from UK to Hamburg, but that container is facing a 2-3 month delay getting it into the UK even by road.

in short hauliers dont want to come here, reduced capacity, increased price and delays,

https://theloadstar.com/european-road-freight-capacity-falls-dramatically-post-brexit-pushing-up-rates/

Demand for shipping goods has never been higher, with limited air freight, low stock inventories in the west, post-covid demand, containers misplaced, couriers want volume bulk, short turnaround business, not bespoke orders to a slow processing port.

That 80’s phrase of treasure island, comes to mind...money talks, inflation will be next..lots of it, but for marginal interests like ours.. there is a long slow wait.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

And yet the odd thing is that throughput of container vessels at Felixstiowe is now fairly normal after recent weather problems caused one vessel to divert to London Gateway and clear ob ver 700 containers in a matter of hours.  There are three large container ships at London Gateway working all of which have docked in the last couple of day, There are two  off Harwich destined London Gateway and one for Felixstowe which only arrived this morning on the anchorage; there are two, again very recent arrivals, working at Southampton with one container berth empty.  So nothing apparently unusual about container ship working - the fact that there are only four large vessels working at Felixstowe is not unusual from what I have seen in the past.

The recent shipment of Model Rail/Rapido 16XX, arriving in Felixstowe, got through port handling/HMRC clearance in no less time than normal - we knew when the ship arrived and we knew when Kernow started distribution - no delays there at all.

Yes, there are major problems with road hauliers on cross Channel/North Sea routes but reports of congestion at container ports now appear to have receded considerably from the situation before Christmas and into early January.  That is very different from road haulage things on the shorter sea routes.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And yet the odd thing is that throughput of container vessels at Felixstiowe is now fairly normal after recent weather problems caused one vessel to divert to London Gateway and clear ob ver 700 containers in a matter of hours.  

Never let the facts stand in the way of a good Brexit moan :lol:

I thought we were over all that now.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

London Gateway?  As a London resident of seventy years, I have never heard of it.  Is that something akin to 'London Gatwick', you know, nowhere near London?  Or London Stanstead?  Bloody long walk to London!  

Terry

Surely it’s closer than either of them!!

54 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

London Gateway?  As a London resident of seventy years, I have never heard of it.  Is that something akin to 'London Gatwick', you know, nowhere near London?  Or London Stanstead?  Bloody long walk to London!  

Terry

The Chancellor said yesterday that the Thames Estuary was going to be a Freeport (along with a few other places like Felixstowe, Liverpool and Southampton).   So does that mean Canvey Island - and is this Gateway in the estuary?  Wot's an estuary anyway - I mean I know it's a river mouth but how far does it go - will the House of Commons bars be Duty Free - maybe all the way to Richmond??

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

And yet the odd thing is that throughput of container vessels at Felixstiowe is now fairly normal after recent weather problems caused one vessel to divert to London Gateway and clear ob ver 700 containers in a matter of hours.  There are three large container ships at London Gateway working all of which have docked in the last couple of day, There are two  off Harwich destined London Gateway and one for Felixstowe which only arrived this morning on the anchorage; there are two, again very recent arrivals, working at Southampton with one container berth empty.  So nothing apparently unusual about container ship working - the fact that there are only four large vessels working at Felixstowe is not unusual from what I have seen in the past.

The recent shipment of Model Rail/Rapido 16XX, arriving in Felixstowe, got through port handling/HMRC clearance in no less time than normal - we knew when the ship arrived and we knew when Kernow started distribution - no delays there at all.

Yes, there are major problems with road hauliers on cross Channel/North Sea routes but reports of congestion at container ports now appear to have receded considerably from the situation before Christmas and into early January.  That is very different from road haulage things on the shorter sea routes.

obviously haven't read the saga of Accurascales deliveries then on the KUA and JSA. If you read the other threads several manufacturers have tweaked dates since Christmas hinting at shipping issues.

11 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Never let the facts stand in the way of a good Brexit moan :lol:

I thought we were over all that now.

Obviously didnt read my post and just put your blinkers on.

Demand for shipping goods has never been higher, with limited air freight, low stock inventories in the west, post-covid demand, containers misplaced, couriers want volume bulk, short turnaround business, not bespoke orders to a slow processing port.

None of these relate to the B word, but as you mention it, customs officials need to check a lot more containers than they used to now dont they ?

Their is a pervading feeling that China hauliers are stoking these high prices, but obviously you prefer to moan, than read the links... I doubt the Chinese government would intervene on Brexit, but when hauliers monopolise prices, on Pac and Atlantic routes, it affects their exports.. so they may intervene.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Accurascale had delays with one shipment but they have recently said another one got through without problems.   Simple fact is that ports are accepting and unloading vessels so they must have somewhere to put the boxes.  But then the ModelRail consignment cleared Felixstowe in the normal time  off a ship that arrived on time.  Transhipping at smewhere like Hamburg and using a lorry instead of a coastal vessel strikes me as rather daft when teh big problem is with vehicles.

And yes there are more containers to examine now but that's at posts with stuff coming in from the EU - hence the past problems at Felixstowe which is of course also a major ro-ro port.  Southampton doesn't deal with so much traffic from the EU compared with other places and London Gateway seem to be managing so far (it does have short sea container traffic).  The big problems are at the ro-ro ports where very large numbers of vehicles pass through, particularly Dover.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Air freight is incredibly expensive currently. With fewer passenger flights there's less extra cargo room from those flights, and the cargo lines are full moving time-sensitive goods, especially so for the UK where the ports are still so congested.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, rorz101uk said:

What would have been the cost to air ship the models? 

Expensive

On 05/03/2021 at 10:16, The Stationmaster said:

Accurascale had delays with one shipment but they have recently said another one got through without problems.   Simple fact is that ports are accepting and unloading vessels so they must have somewhere to put the boxes.  But then the ModelRail consignment cleared Felixstowe in the normal time  off a ship that arrived on time.  Transhipping at smewhere like Hamburg and using a lorry instead of a coastal vessel strikes me as rather daft when teh big problem is with vehicles.

It depends if you have a choice, your quote of 700 containers is chicken feed if the ship holds 10,000 containers.

Simply put, if the ship needs to sail, it will sail. Short of taking the container back to China, if it skips a port, dropping it in Hamburg instead of Harwich, may not be your choice. But it is your choice to wait a small boat, to find a gap to the UK.. or just give up and collect it.

Model Rail might have got lucky, but where is everything we were promised .. 25,86,Railcar, 20, Kua, Gt3, W1.. everyones got delays, but only this thread is toxic and unforgiving of one manufacturer, patience and understanding is holding everywhere else... but grinding wheels turn here.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Perhaps they (KR) could smoothe waters by identifying the ship the container is on. That way people would know where the ship is .

Why do you REALLY need to know.  We have been waiting decades for an RTR GT3, so what is another month or two?

All this childish impatience is demeaning to this wonderful hobby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 1

News at last! Every time I see a new contribution to the thread, I check to see if it’s news. I feel like asking people to stop contributing until there is news to report but then that would just be another useless comment cluttering up the thread. I wonder what the neighbours will think of the screaming. Perhaps they’ll think I’m murdering someone.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Why do you REALLY need to know.  We have been waiting decades for an RTR GT3, so what is another month or two?

All this childish impatience is demeaning to this wonderful hobby.

Because KR drop hints about where the items are....then... nothing.....

And others are getting fairly anxious about when the uk examples will arrive. 

Other manufacturers  are more open about what is happening....and with your background I would have thought you would understand why some are having some "childish impatience"

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Because KR drop hints about where the items are....then... nothing.....

And others are getting fairly anxious about when the uk examples will arrive. 

Other manufacturers  are more open about what is happening....and with your background I would have thought you would understand why some are having some "childish impatience"

When was the last time Hornby, Bachmann or any other manufacturer gave out the listing of stock and the name of the ship it was on?

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Perhaps they (KR) could smoothe waters by identifying the ship the container is on. That way people would know where the ship is .

How does that help ?

are you planning on taking a motor boat out to meet it?

are you going to reserve space in the berth for it ?

Knowing which ship its on wont put it in your hands any faster.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, mvwilson said:

When was the last time Hornby, Bachmann or any other manufacturer gave out the listing of stock and the name of the ship it was on?

Model Rail for their recently arrived 16XX - as Rapido arranged the shipping they onbviously told MR which vessel the models were on.  But that was probablya. full container load whereas the GT3s are possibly likely to be groupage traffic (i or are 5,000 coming?) .

Kernow have doen so in the past for several models.

DJM did so (so they did get something right among their many shortcomings).

Bachmann used to although they didn't give specific ship names - they simply said what was expected in a particular forthcoming period which roughly matched shipping dates.

Knowing the ship name is an interesting bit of information for some of us and it is hardly a state secret unless it is held as a 'secret',  What's wrong with gib ving folk a firmer idea of when something they are awaiting, and might even have paid for, is going to reach a UK port?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Knowing the ship name is an interesting bit of information for some of us and it is hardly a state secret unless it is held as a 'secret',  What's wrong with gib ving folk a firmer idea of when something they are awaiting, and might even have paid for, is going to reach a UK port?

because its non of our business.

I dont ask Tescos to tell me who their delivery drivers are.

And in the past when people have discussed couriers, they are usually beaten with a stick due to their choice of courier.

imagine listing the ship, then tomorrow it diverts.. there will be 3 pages of bile poured out, all of which is out of the hands of the comissioner. Supposing it docs, and customs decides they want 3 weeks to inspect it.. again pages of mistrusting bile poured out.

until its here, its not here, and until then, you dont have it, I dont have it, KR doesnt have it.. which means someone else has it, and its up to “them” what happens to it.

given the toxicity of this thread, saying nowt until those who have purchased it get an email saying the tracking number is probably not unwise (and avoids the why did you choose courier x instead of y too).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, mvwilson said:

When was the last time either made a model that we were that interested in? :lol:

30 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Model Rail for their recently arrived 16XX - as Rapido arranged the shipping they onbviously told MR which vessel the models were on.  But that was probablya. full container load whereas the GT3s are possibly likely to be groupage traffic (i or are 5,000 coming?) .

Kernow have doen so in the past for several models.

DJM did so (so they did get something right among their many shortcomings).

Bachmann used to although they didn't give specific ship names - they simply said what was expected in a particular forthcoming period which roughly matched shipping dates.

Well I am in Australia so I will probably get mine delivered at least three weeks after any UK deliveries. I am happy to wait, knowing the name of the ship or port its going to dock in is not going to get it delivered any quicker. Once I get the tracking number I will make sure I am home to receive it, thats all I am interested in.

• Like 3