KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

30 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I want to know how accurately KR have modelled the finial of that telegraph pole cable-stayed onto the boiler and the back of the cab roof

Excuse my ignorance but does a gas turbine loco actually have a boiler?

34 minutes ago, grahame said:

Excuse my ignorance but does a gas turbine loco actually have a boiler?

The GT3 was an opulent beast, it had a fully fitted kitchen and bathroom in the tender as well as a carpet in cab - it would definitely have needed a boiler to heat up the water to fill the bath so the driver would arrive at the destination all fresh.

Aslef saw this as a safety risk, if the bath was over filled and water splashed onto the lino then the driver might slip when he got out to dry off. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

16 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The GT3 was an opulent beast, it had a fully fitted kitchen and bathroom in the tender as well as a carpet in cab - it would definitely have needed a boiler to heat up the water to fill the bath so the driver would arrive at the destination all fresh.

Apparently it also had a crew toilet in the tender. And the Spanner train heat boiler was located in the tender so would have been handily placed for providing hot water for the bath, kitchen and toilet.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

All this "I told you so" doesn't enhance your reputation, you know.

You came to market a complete unknown, a 'Johnny Foreigner" to boot, and hard on the heels of a fraudster. That was your bad luck, and it made many of us suspicious; it was perfectly sensible for a section of your potential market to be sceptical. Despite all that, you have done (or are about to do) what you said you would - all credit to you.

You could now potentially win over even the worst of your nay-sayers, and convert them into customers. However, crowing over your imminent triumph will only alienate those same potential customers - a mature organisation would be magnanimous in its victory, and refrain from triumphalism.

Still - it's your choice!

John Isherwood.

Said he triumphantly.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I agree that gloating is inappropriate (and possibly premature as we have not yet got our GT3s) but why spoil it by calling him Johnny Foreigner if you are being constructive? 

If I recall correctly from early in the thread, Keith is actually from the UK. (subject to correction).

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

All this "I told you so" doesn't enhance your reputation, you know.

You came to market a complete unknown, a 'Johnny Foreigner" to boot, and hard on the heels of a fraudster. That was your bad luck, and it made many of us suspicious; it was perfectly sensible for a section of your potential market to be sceptical. Despite all that, you have done (or are about to do) what you said you would - all credit to you.

You could now potentially win over even the worst of your nay-sayers, and convert them into customers. However, crowing over your imminent triumph will only alienate those same potential customers - a mature organisation would be magnanimous in its victory, and refrain from triumphalism.

Still - it's your choice!

John Isherwood.

I think your “Johnny Foreigner” remark is uncalled for and is verging on blatant bigotry.

Darius

• Agree 10

10 hours ago, KR Models said:

The doubters won't believe you.  They still is all a deception and that we'll do a runner with all the funds taken so far.  

I won't be happy until I know the name of the guy that installed your internet router.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, KR Models said:

The doubters won't believe you.  They still is all a deception and that we'll do a runner with all the funds taken so far.  

As you type this from your private island surrounded by beautiful women and a monorail!

8 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I agree that gloating is inappropriate (and possibly premature as we have not yet got our GT3s) 

KR isn’t Hornby any more than it’s DJM but we know from Hornby’s A2s that things can go horribly wrong when models reach their final destinations. Let’s hope all will be well.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I think your “Johnny Foreigner” remark is uncalled for and is verging on blatant bigotry.

Darius

You miss my point - I was describing the likely thought processes of many potential customers when K.R.M. was launched.

If I had intended to be offensive, it would be much more apparent!

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You were taking yet another opportunity to give KR models a verbal kicking under the disingenuous guise of encouraging further sales as your later weasel words put it.

My father was born in India but became a British Citizen so I take exception to people that bandy the words “Johnny Foreigner” around and then try to hide behind unbelievable excuses.

Darius

• Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Although it could have perhaps been more tactfully phased, the point is that buyers were giving their money to someone totally unknown in another country. That raised questions about what rights buyers therefore have and what protections there are if something had gone wrong

It does seem a shame that this happens every few weeks, KRModels making an ill judged comment which causes arguments and animosity. 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

You were taking yet another opportunity to give KR models a verbal kicking under the disingenuous guise of encouraging further sales as your later weasel words put it.

My father was born in India but became a British Citizen so I take exception to people that bandy the words “Johnny Foreigner” around and then try to hide behind unbelievable excuses.

Darius

Darius,

It may surprise you to know that KRM and I have a mutually respectful and amicable relationship via PM on this forum. KRM have stated to me that I have conducted my public correspondence re GT3 in a proper fashion.

You will also be unaware that I have provided KRM with research material and information concerning GT3 and other subjects. Had I not already built a model of GT3, and have a kit for the Fell, I would have purchased both. As it is, I have made an EOI for the 'Super Clayton'.

So - please stop interfering in a relationship which is functioning perfectly well without your divisive input - I did not issue a 'verbal kicking' to KRM; I merely observed that a more mature stance could be advantageous to them.

Like it or not, a very significant proportion of the British Public, including railway modellers, are suspicious of anything that does not originate in the UK; pretending otherwise is simply self-delusional. The term 'Jonny Foreigner' has been used for centuries as an expression of that attitude - modern political correctness has not diminished that view; it has merely pushed it underground.

Nothing that I have written here or elsewhere indicates that I hold such views - I emphatically do not - but it is a significant factor when potential customers consider a new entrant into the market.

John Isherwood.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

If I recall correctly from early in the thread, Keith is actually from the UK. (subject to correction).

Yes, he is. Both of us are, only one of us still lives here though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not going to delve any deeper into what has transpired. There's really no point for it. 

It was less gloating, more poking fun at the doubters who had nothing but ill-intentions from the beginning that said we could never do it. 

We did it, its our right to feel proud over it.

-Mike

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

10 minutes ago, KR Models said:

We did it, its our right to feel proud over it.

Indeed it is - but your recent posting doesn't give the impression of a mature company.

I can't recall any of the mainstream model railway companies "poking fun at the doubters", despite them being continuously criticised by a certain section of the membership here. They simply 'rise above it', and get on with producing model railways.

Just my opinion - take it as you will.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

I should imagine it’s not just me who’s thinking all this back and forth “he said, she said” getting a little tiresome now!

let’s hope people start to get their locos soon and review on here to divert attention away from it if nothing else, I’m certainly one of those who wasn’t aware of the loco or company until recently and am eagerly awaiting the order books to open for the 2nd run as it’s a stunning looking model (and prototype) even though it will only sit in the display cabinet 

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Indeed it is - but your recent posting doesn't give the impression of a mature company.

I can't recall any of the mainstream model railway companies "poking fun at the doubters", despite them being continuously criticised by a certain section of the membership here. They simply 'rise above it', and get on with producing model railways.

Just my opinion - take it as you will.

John Isherwood.

So please tell us more about this amicable and respectful relationship that you have with KR Models.

Cheers

Darius  - who is looking forward to receiving a GT3 soon and is now off to lightly weather an SR General Manager’s saloon and an NR Inspection Coach.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Darius43 said:

So please tell us more about this amicable and respectful relationship that you have with KR Models.

I wondered this.  If he calls him Johnny Foreigner in public, I'd love to know what he calls him in private.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 3

I was pleased to find the e-mail this evening when I got back after a few days away from the laptop.

I just hope the French VAT/La Poste are not going to want an arm or leg off me before it lands in the letterbox! Roll on the Fell!

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1