KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

Mine just arrived - Chocolate Zephyr!

So pleased - thank you so much KR for making this model and the others in the pipeline too.

What a good day as had only just got back from my COVID inoculation!

Hoping the third good thing comes too!  :victory:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Only slight problem is the loco to tender connection seems tricky.  Is there a knack to getting it to 'click into place'?

OORail did a vid on the connector. Not sure if that is the 'official' method?

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Very cool... would you believe a rtr GT3... previously reserve of the wealthy, those with oodles of spare time or just lucky.

6DDA4BB3-9D54-4009-B9CD-5D8AFA290A83.jpeg.bda6635af2fbd21e8d999417de36be8d.jpeg
only minor oops is that handrail needs reseating.

02764E54-AA88-415A-91C5-B1FBD35AC1A1.jpeg.87afe955dae9f2bbacd80098c6da596e.jpeg8C1F5737-83D3-4A7D-9E60-DB9C4B268254.jpeg.a1008d66278588d3894b42163fe39cb7.jpeg

Would you believe it was 55 years 1 month exactly since GT3 was sent to Wards.

My father, was employed by TW wards of Salford, he procured GT3 from EE, shared knowledge of its scrapping amongst Buckley Wells Railway Enthusiasts ( who had 2000 members around this time), and arranged Wards of Salford to open their yard for enthusiasts to come see on saturday after it arrived. Prior to this he removed various plates, discs, cab parts etc and they were given away free to those who wanted souvenirs, including carpet and curtains. 

so probably we are probably to within 55 years and few days or so since it wouldn't have existed.

B6C8539F-E8FC-4C74-8221-385741A8EC2A.jpeg

somewhere I have a disc from GT3, and some Wards paperwork, though Ive not seem it in decades otherwise would have shared before now. Unfortunately my father passed away in 2017, but he had a good of story about the scrapping of gt3, he was in an interesting place of trying to preserve a few locos, run an enthusiasts group, and scrap locos at the same time... Wards didnt scrap many, but a few were set aside, at least 1 is still here as a result, but he always regretted not finding sufficient interest in some standard 3MTs at Patricroft.

very glad this model has been done, its a bit personal for me.

well done.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

22 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

So pleased - thank you so much KR for making this model and the others in the pipeline too.

I missed out on the first issue but had a nice email about the second release order book end of March. Looks a great model so pleased they made it happen. I just had my jab this morning to but all I got was a creme egg for being a brave boy lol...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Very cool... would you believe a rtr GT3... previously reserve of the wealthy, those with oodles of spare time or just lucky.

02764E54-AA88-415A-91C5-B1FBD35AC1A1.jpeg.87afe955dae9f2bbacd80098c6da596e.jpeg8C1F5737-83D3-4A7D-9E60-DB9C4B268254.jpeg.a1008d66278588d3894b42163fe39cb7.jpeg

My father, was employed by TW wards of Salford, he procured GT3 from EE, shared knowledge of its scrapping amongst Buckley Wells Railway Enthusiasts ( who had 2000 members around this time), and arranged Wards of Salford to open their yard for enthusiasts to come see on saturday after it arrived. Prior to this he removed various plates, discs, cab parts etc and they were given away free to those who wanted souvenirs, including carpet and curtains. 

so probably we are probably to within 55 years and few days or so since it wouldn't have existed.

somewhere I have a disc from GT3, and some Wards paperwork, though Ive not seem it in decades otherwise would have shared before now. Unfortunately my father passed away in 2017, but he had a good of story about the scrapping of gt3, he was in an interesting place of trying to preserve a few locos, run an enthusiasts group, and scrap locos at the same time... Wards didnt scrap many, but a few were set aside, at least 1 is still here as a result, but he always regretted not finding sufficient interest in some standard 3MTs at Patricroft.

well done.

What a 

24 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

well done.

Great story of your fathers, written material on GT3 is so rare, I remember an article in one of the first Rail Enthusiast mags in 1981 and I was captivated. Imagine where those artifacts went maybe sat in someone’s shed not knowing their significance. Looks a cracking model.

1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

Our local photter had a tip off that GT3 would be running on test through Mantles Wood (just north of Amserham on the Great Central route).  He managed to grab a shot in each direction.  Lovely model, hauls 7 with ease (the max I can realistically run on my layout).  Only slight problem is the loco to tender connection seems tricky.  Is there a knack to getting it to 'click into place'?

Edit: no fiddly bits added yet

rev GT3 southbound.jpg

rev GT3 northbound.jpg

We're pleased you like it.  It looks great on your layout.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Perhaps a silly question but isn't that a Royal Train disc lamp code - or did it run with that headcode?

I think it ran (on Great Central route) with express headcodes.  Mine will be changed when I add the fiddly bits.

2 hours ago, Opelsi said:

Well the hoped for third piece of good news duly arrived promptly.

Someone I know was told his Sister would not last 24 hours with COVID some considerable time ago. Today She is well enough to come home.

Guess that trumps everything - never give up hope!   

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Everything on the model looks fine except perhaps the alignment of the steps and front buffer beam. The holes that are shown on your photo are on both sides and in wider positions than the handrails. Same on mine, so perhaps this is common. The steps are also sloping backwards and this seems to be owing to the buffer beam not sitting square. The buffers and buffer platforms are pointing downwards. I assume this can be rectified but could do with some advice / permission from Keith and Mike before attempting this.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

Well the hoped for third piece of good news duly arrived promptly.

Someone I know was told his Sister would not last 24 hours with COVID some considerable time ago. Today She is well enough to come home.

Guess that trumps everything - never give up hope!   

Fantastic news!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

35 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

*waits patently for my sound version..... 

Hope it’s coming next week? 

I'm also waiting for a sound version. 

Keith just said in the facebook live stream that about 400 or so orders went out yesterday and the rest should be done next week.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Is there a knack to getting it to 'click into place

Turn it into its roof on a padded but firm surface and ease together.

2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Everything on the model looks fine except perhaps the alignment of the steps and front buffer beam. The holes that are shown on your photo are on both sides and in wider positions than the handrails. Same on mine, so perhaps this is common. The steps are also sloping backwards and this seems to be owing to the buffer beam not sitting square. The buffers and buffer platforms are pointing downwards. I assume this can be rectified but could do with some advice / permission from Keith and Mike before attempting this.

Yes absolutely.  We had a small number where the handrails have popped out of the buffer beam  

More photos of unboxing.

(Sorry about the quality of photos).

The loco comes with a nice badge of GT3.

There is also an accessory pack included.

Which consists of the following:

Pipes

Screwlink chain

4 X folded headcode disks ( 2X brown and 2x green).

6 X green circle things (not sure what these are)?

Vacuum and steam heating pipes?

I've yet to get it onto the test track.

16162561567171963061806.jpg

1616256202430112125477.jpg

1616256399326-28406004.jpg

1616256477496400303033.jpg

1616256669123-1038642835.jpg

16162567226631188096466.jpg

Edited by Steam here!
Missed out detail
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Steam here! said:

More photos of unboxing.

(Sorry about the quality of photos).

The loco comes with a nice badge of GT3.

There is also an accessory pack included.

Which consists of the following:

Pipes

Screwlink chain

4 X folded headcode disks ( 2X brown and 2x green).

6 X green circle things (not sure what these are)?

Vacuum and steam heating pipes?

I've yet to get it onto the test track

16162567226631188096466.jpg

The Green thingies are the bearing caps for the con rod bearings. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Received my GT3 today and I'm really impressed with the locomotive, runs well out of the box and sounds great. Well done KR Model's. Worth the wait and good value for money. Look forward to the Fell in due course. 

Craig

• Like 2