KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, KR Models said:

Yes absolutely.  We had a small number where the handrails have popped out of the buffer beam  

Thanks guys. I will have another look tomorrow as moving the handrails to the holes would mean the handrails have to splay out at the bottom. I will send photo to explain. 

The exploded diagram of the parts is great. Was wondering about maintenance instructions. Lubrication and access to DCC chip etc. I'm particularly interested in the lubrication for the tender wheels as the electrical pick up is through the axles and wheel hubs (not wipers as per the loco). So would conductive lubricant need to be used.

David

PS The GT3 is really a marvellous achievement. More EOI's to go in!

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Very cool... would you believe a rtr GT3... previously reserve of the wealthy, those with oodles of spare time or just lucky.

6DDA4BB3-9D54-4009-B9CD-5D8AFA290A83.jpeg.bda6635af2fbd21e8d999417de36be8d.jpeg
only minor oops is that handrail needs reseating.

02764E54-AA88-415A-91C5-B1FBD35AC1A1.jpeg.87afe955dae9f2bbacd80098c6da596e.jpeg8C1F5737-83D3-4A7D-9E60-DB9C4B268254.jpeg.a1008d66278588d3894b42163fe39cb7.jpeg

Would you believe it was 55 years 1 month exactly since GT3 was sent to Wards.

My father, was employed by TW wards of Salford, he procured GT3 from EE, shared knowledge of its scrapping amongst Buckley Wells Railway Enthusiasts ( who had 2000 members around this time), and arranged Wards of Salford to open their yard for enthusiasts to come see on saturday after it arrived. Prior to this he removed various plates, discs, cab parts etc and they were given away free to those who wanted souvenirs, including carpet and curtains. 

so probably we are probably to within 55 years and few days or so since it wouldn't have existed.

B6C8539F-E8FC-4C74-8221-385741A8EC2A.jpeg

somewhere I have a disc from GT3, and some Wards paperwork, though Ive not seem it in decades otherwise would have shared before now. Unfortunately my father passed away in 2017, but he had a good of story about the scrapping of gt3, he was in an interesting place of trying to preserve a few locos, run an enthusiasts group, and scrap locos at the same time... Wards didnt scrap many, but a few were set aside, at least 1 is still here as a result, but he always regretted not finding sufficient interest in some standard 3MTs at Patricroft.

very glad this model has been done, its a bit personal for me.

well done.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad.  I guess today must be a bitter sweet moment.

You've done his memory proud with some lovely photos of the model.  I don't have one on order, but after seeing these lovely images, that might change

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Thanks guys. I will have another look tomorrow as moving the handrails to the holes would mean the handrails have to splay out at the bottom. I will send photo to explain. 

The exploded diagram of the parts is great. Was wondering about maintenance instructions. Lubrication and access to DCC chip etc. I'm particularly interested in the lubrication for the tender wheels as the electrical pick up is through the axles and wheel hubs (not wipers as per the loco). So would conductive lubricant need to be used.

David

PS The GT3 is really a marvellous achievement. More EOI's to go in!

Likewise, would appreciate information re. removal of loco and tender bodies for maintenace purposes. Also access to cab interior for painting etc, Any information regarding control panel and seat colours would be most appreciated.

Congratulations Keith and Michael on producing a stunning model of this iconic locomotive. Bodes well for future releases.

I can't wait for the 2nd run book to open on the 31st, looks a top model so will be ordering one straight away.

If GT3 looks this good, the Fell should be another cracker, can't wait for that to appear on my doorstep when it's ready.

Ta for posting pics all, enjoy your models.

Cheers

James

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just finished running in the GT3, overall I have to say so far I'm very pleased with it and like the loco tender connection it's very revelutionary only seen something similar on the Stirling Single.

I haven't had a detailed look at the model due to time constraints and with the model running in.

I will tomorrow take a more detailed look tomorrow and hoping to add kadee couplings to it.

The loco itself is very heavy, the tender is also heavy. I will have to compare this with the Heljan Kestrel (weight wise) which I'd imagine is roughly the same if not, not too far off.

Having found a section on the test track there is a 2% gradient. I'll be interested in what it can pull.

I should have some more info and photos tomorrow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

GT3's made another northbound run through Mantles Wood, this time with detailing bits added.  Sadly the old biddies seem more interested in discussing Mrs Dale's Diary than the white heat of technology.

The detailing pack includes 2 brown 'closed discs' so you can make any headcode combination.  I liked the fact they have 'plugs' behind them - so much easier to fix than some other recent hi-fidelity models which defeat my old eyes a bit when it comes to changing headcodes.  One of the 6 hub cabs seemed more recalcitrant than the others for no obvious reason.  I've use tacky wax for now and would be interested to hear other rmwebbers solutions.  POSSIBLY it might be worth KRModels doing spare packs for sale?

The handrails on my one didn't go into the buffer beam.  I've cured the lhs but still need to do the rhs.  Oh, and I've turned the buffers horizontal which I didn't notice in the earlier pics until too late.

rev2 GT3 with detailing.jpg

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 16

8 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

GT3's made another northbound run through Mantles Wood, this time with detailing bits added.  Sadly the old biddies seem more interested in discussing Mrs Dale's Diary than the white heat of technology.

The detailing pack includes 2 brown 'closed discs' so you can make any headcode combination.  I liked the fact they have 'plugs' behind them - so much easier to fix than some other recent hi-fidelity models which defeat my old eyes a bit when it comes to changing headcodes.  One of the 6 hub cabs seemed more recalcitrant than the others for no obvious reason.  I've use tacky wax for now and would be interested to hear other rmwebbers solutions.  POSSIBLY it might be worth KRModels doing spare packs for sale?

The handrails on my one didn't go into the buffer beam.  I've cured the lhs but still need to do the rhs.  Oh, and I've turned the buffers horizontal which I didn't notice in the earlier pics until too late.

rev2 GT3 with detailing.jpg

Beautiful layout photo. Well done KR models the colours look spot on.

• Agree 2

Received a mail too and it's being tracked - somewhere in Limbo Land - aka Roissy Airport and in the hands of La Poste. I await to see what may happen regarding any demands for VAT (TVA). For those who live on mainland Europe (more specifically France), I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

Well Done KR Models. It a really Beautiful model. There’s only 2 little criticism not sure if it be mentioned but the springs to Axleboxes on the tender there is a big gap. Also the lights below the headcode disc is there a way to turn it off? Part from that I’m really happy with it, I brought the Sound Version and runs smooth. I’m just sorting my garage to make room for a model railway. 

51057963688_7bb026aafa_z.jpgGT3 by Rory Capell, on Flickr

51058684576_7a7f04577d_z.jpg

GT3 by Rory Capell, on Flickr

GT3

here is a picture I found on Wikipedia at Leicester GC Shed 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:GT3_at_Leicester_..1961.JPG#/media/File:GT3_at_Leicester_..1961.JPG

Edited by rorz101uk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, rorz101uk said:

Well Done KR Models. It a really Beautiful model. There’s only 2 little criticism not sure if it be mentioned but the springs to Axleboxes on the tender there is a big gap. Also the lights below the headcode disc is there a way to turn it off? Part from that I’m really happy with it, I brought the Sound Version and runs smooth. I’m just sorting my garage to make room for a model railway. 

51057963688_7bb026aafa_z.jpgGT3 by Rory Capell, on Flickr

51058684576_7a7f04577d_z.jpg

GT3 by Rory Capell, on Flickr

GT3

here is a picture I found on Wikipedia at Leicester GC Shed 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:GT3_at_Leicester_..1961.JPG#/media/File:GT3_at_Leicester_..1961.JPG

Looks good.

re lights... a bit of electrical tape over the relevant  body aperture should blank the light.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Bear Digital said:

Horrible suspicion that they might actually be tail lights on the real one.

Care to pop the body off for us to have a look at internal wiring ?.

( How brave are you on your new model LOL)

Not right now, I have no modelling room! Plus I’ve only just got it and don’t want to waste £250 ;-)

1 hour ago, Hairy Bear Digital said:

Horrible suspicion that they might actually be tail lights on the real one.

I'm pretty certain that they were - BR woulddn't have let it run on their tracks with additional headlights which could be mistaken for headcodes.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I'm pretty certain that they were - BR woulddn't have let it run on their tracks with additional headlights which could be mistaken for headcodes.

John Isherwood.

I don’t think that’s true, non of the mainline diesels had additional lighting, headcode panel and taillights only. BR Decided to fit an extra high-intensity light in the late 80s yearly 90s. Not really sure why? I think it was to do with trackside workers being able to see a train well before it was close to them.

7 minutes ago, rorz101uk said:

I don’t think that’s true, non of the mainline diesels had additional lighting, headcode panel and taillights only. BR Decided to fit an extra high-intensity light in the late 80s yearly 90s. Not really sure why? I think it was to do with trackside workers being able to see a train well before it was close to them.

You misunderstood me - I am saying that the lower pair of lights were red tail lights.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The lower lights were red tail lights not white. 

At the time of GT3's construction train identification/reporting was by discs then head codes. GT3 was built with red tail lights on the front so as to dispense with oil lights, They were seen as old fashioned and out of date while GT3 was seen as the future. Oil lights outlived GT3 by 25+ years....:rolleyes: 

• Like 1

Well folks, I've weighed the GT3 and it weighs an impressive:

502Grams

Heljan Kestrel weighs:

587 grams

So the model itself, what do I think to it?

Considoring that there is no prototype surviving (in preservation) except a 5inch gauge model.

Overall KRModels have captured the model extremely well, when comparing photos from google, I must say KRModels have nailed it.

The model consists of the following that I have found:

•Sprung buffers

•Seperately applied details including hand rails.

•very high built quality (feels very robust).

•Very heavy, strong loco.

•Nem pockets

•Loco/cab lighting

•GT3 badge

•Optional Extras (accessory pack).

•Headcode disks (can be rearranged for the moddellers requirments).

•Paperwork with exploded diagram 

Running qualities:

The loco overall is very quiet and smoothe.

After running in there is still a faint squeaking sound coming from the tender alxes, I did have a look and it does look dry, I do have some Gaugemaster lubrication oil (the tall but narrow type. The shape of a pen if that makes sense).

Itd the only fault I have discovered on this model).

Livery application :

To me it looks spot on, very neatly applied, the extra little details that you may not notice straight away at first glance.

On the tender you've got these two gauges on both sides, picked out with letters and numbers which are minute, you may need a nagnifying glass to see the context of those gauges.

The warning flash labels (overhead wires?) on the sides of the tender body stands out crisp and clear, its the same english electric logo that's been neatly applied and the text is neatly legible from a distance.

You've also got the SKF picked out in white, which stands out on the green chassis axelboxes.

You can see the rivets on the chassis itself, with the springs although the same colour do stand out. There's also seperayely applied footrail that's just beneath the indetntations of a set of steps in the sides of the tender, have been captured really wheel.

On top of the tender you've got a black grille that's been seperately fitted, looking from the right angle I think you cann the blanking plug?

Towards the end of the tender looking from above there is two squarish indentations with a rectangular one in between them.

As for the glazing on the rear of the tender you've got this silver surround, which makes the windows stick, the same is also applied to the cab windows and doors.

The door between the cab and tender though is plain green.

The loco cab steps have a indentation of diagonal cross pattern, at the front of the cab looking from the loco buffers (head on) you'll also notice you've got of black wipers on the fron windows that are seperately fitted.

The running plate is also neatly applied with very ridges on the surface (you'll have to tun your finger left and right).

Its the same effect on top of the buffers which are attached to the red footsteps.

The front bogie as well has this SKP (not sure what it stands for) with the green behind it, with the springs, axelboxes and rivets picked out.

There is also a long horizontal bar above the bogie (not sure what this for?)

You even see the extra details beyound the grilles, with these horizontal green bars.

On top of the loco at the front you've got this raised green unit with the gold bars, moving futher up the loco, looking from the correct angle and looking down you can see what appears to be two hatches, with two  black airducts/vents?

The loco also comes with a close coupling method between the loco and tender, keeping both units close together even on 2nd radius curves, which is one of the best mothods I have seen.

Ussually the moddeller has to guess how close the get both of units together on their layouts.

Here the work is done for them.

The length (loco buffer to tender buffer) = 27.4cm

The working lights DCC Ready (analogue users)

At the back there are just two (one either side of the door).

When going backwards, there is some flickering, going forwards they are continuously red.

For the cab you get this sort of evil red glow from the light in the ceiling.

For the front of the loco (going backwards) its only the two lights in the brown headlamps that come on.

(Going forwards) all six lights come on including the two brown headlamps.

Cab Detail:

In the cab, you can see a red/burgendy floor, two light grey seats an above console at the front but in the centre.

Looks like a panel with a door/grill on it?

Haulage power from a 2% start, followed by 2nd radius curves, you'll be pleased to know it was able to pull up hill and pushdown backdown 8 Hornby Southern Maunsell coaches with wheel slip, I did try it with 9 coaches the wheels just spun and it wasn't going anywhere.

I still think that is still impressive though for a 4-6-0.

Kadees on minum 3rd Radius

No: 19 tender end 

No:18 loco end

I've not added the detail parts yet and won't be doing till I get the new layout up and running, but that is something to look forward to.

Thank you for reading this post, hope you've found it intersting and most useful and has given you an idea of what to expect from the model.

Callum

16163448857461631225569.jpg

Edited by Steam here!
Missed out some detail.
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Front step are a bit wonky but I understand that they are easily straightened.

The loco/tender link was used in one or two Proto 2000 American steam locomotives. Try not to unplug it too often it (at least on my Proto 200 units does show signs of wear/looseness. 

51 minutes ago, Steam here! said:

The front bogie as well has this SKP (not sure what it stands for) with the green behind it, with the springs, axelboxes and rivets

SKF is Svenska Kullagerfabriken-the manufacturer of the roller bearings used on the locomotive (and thousands of other locos).

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Is there any way of turning the cab lighting off? One of my pet hates! Also the front red marker lights are not red and light up going forwards as well as backwards. I think a modification will be required there. A diode will sort the direction but I've yet to have a peep to see they can be coloured easily or not. 

Otherwise a beautiful model. I'm very pleased with her. 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, peteskitchen said:

Is there any way of turning the cab lighting off? One of my pet hates! Also the front red marker lights are not red and light up going forwards as well as backwards. I think a modification will be required there. A diode will sort the direction but I've yet to have a peep to see they can be coloured easily or not. 

Otherwise a beautiful model. I'm very pleased with her. 

Are you running with DC or DCC? DCC chip will probably have a function to turn cab lights off as well as turning tail lights off.  This works fine with the DCC sound decoder. Front marker lights are a different matter.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Are you running with DC or DCC? DCC chip will probably have a function to turn cab lights off as well as turning tail lights off.  This works fine with the DCC sound decoder. Front marker lights are a different matter.

I'm running dc. I'm wondering if there might be a microswitch on the blanking plug like Dapol class 22s? Nothing in the instructions I can find 

Only had a very quick look and left for running in on the rolling road.

Front white lights I think are on all the time and white (as opposed to the white headcode lights can be switched off).

The cab light is red - looks like a knocking shop!

I am now wondering if there has been a mix up here?

It is a fantastic model which I never thought would be available RTR.

(I have a sound fitted version and run with an ESU ECoS)

Edited by Opelsi
  • Informative/Useful 1