KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

• RMweb Gold

Well, I'm somewhat gobsmacked.......

Received my email from KRM at 19:02 last night advising that my GT3 had been handed over to Royal Mail at 18:56, was reported passing through the Medway Sorting Centre at 04:34 this morning and was delivered by Royal Mail down here on the south east coast a few minutes ago.

Plans for today have been abrupted, a morning working in the garden has been postponed and a box marked KRM-GT3-00-S has got to be opened...........

Yippee! Many thanks to all concerned :good_mini:.

Keith

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

Fitted :)

DSC05649.JPG.571d3ed6e3be71923b70e2d32148a6e7.JPG

Using:

DSC05650.JPG.efdfc84e051473962404967b70a0d093.JPG

Me too! Current puzzle is what to do about the bogie with the guard irons being at the back while the coupling housing is at the front. I suppose simply snip off the housing - it's not really needed - and re-fit the bogie t'other way round.  Cracking model with very nice sound. Happy chap in the playpen today.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

I wonder will the first one come to Cork First Colin :)

Keep waiting for the mail from KR!!

Did you order a Fell, I stopped short in that one!

Waiting for the email George, and yes, I have ordered the Fell and a trio of Consett wagons.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very pleased to report that my GT3 was delivered by RM this afternoon after receiving my despatch email from KR models yesterday evening.  

1755466D-ED76-4852-AB69-2FCB5A79BB16.jpeg.db4e80221a09abe51124732b11e52b69.jpeg

11FFD78C-A12D-4C04-B57B-02F29F20E4D6.jpeg.1d368e1f94dfd772babba47a551e3369.jpeg

30A6E641-7793-4113-8442-4467E6EC9DA7.jpeg.a3a379e0ec7a9dd5184f3071ef20876e.jpeg

Still to fit the detail bits, hubcaps etc. but she runs and sounds great.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 8

Tested mine this afternoon while Mrs Philou was having her hair done - had me flumoxed for a few minutes as the lights came on and nothing happened. I turned up the voltage a tad on my trusty 30 year-old Gaugemaster and the turbine started, which was good news but no movement - 'Oh' - thought I. Turned up the volts again and more sound and then it moved of at a low smooth speed - huzzah! Reversed the polarity and off she went sedately to the end of the yard length in the other direction.

I could only test it on DC as I had a ..... errr ..... mishap, yes, that's it, a mishap with my ECoS that I still haven't had repaired. With the sound chip under DC, it will not move off until it's started properly - just like the real thing. (I have other sound chipped locos that behave similarly and I had forgotten that!). I shall need to get my DCC controller up and running to go through all the functions!

Quite impressed and it looks good despite the reversed bogie frames.

Look forward to the Fell in due course.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Philou said:

Tested mine this afternoon while Mrs Philou was having her hair done - had me flumoxed for a few minutes as the lights came on and nothing happened. I turned up the voltage a tad on my trusty 30 year-old Gaugemaster and the turbine started, which was good news but no movement - 'Oh' - thought I. Turned up the volts again and more sound and then it moved of at a low smooth speed - huzzah! Reversed the polarity and off she went sedately to the end of the yard length in the other direction.

I could only test it on DC as I had a ..... errr ..... mishap, yes, that's it, a mishap with my ECoS that I still haven't had repaired. With the sound chip under DC, it will not move off until it's started properly - just like the real thing. (I have other sound chipped locos that behave similarly and I had forgotten that!). I shall need to get my DCC controller up and running to go through all the functions!

Quite impressed and it looks good despite the reversed bogie frames.

Look forward to the Fell in due course.

Cheers,

Philip

Mine arrived also today. A very impressive debut. Yes, front bogie guide irons transposed (almost invisible) and the handrail issue on the front. But overall, I’m very impressed-very high level of finish and the sound is great. 
Looking toward to the Fell and Leader now! 

• RMweb Gold

I think I would like to switch the 2 lower marker lights off at the front. Also fitted a LokPilot decoder to it and cannot switch the cab light on even though it was permanently lit on DC. Further digging to do.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 96701 said:

I think I would like to switch the 2 lower marker lights off at the front. Also fitted a LokPilot decoder to it and cannot switch the cab light on even though it was permanently lit on DC. Further digging to do.

On the sound fitted version F19 controls the cab light. Not sure if that is a standard function for your decoder or it might need new mapping?

An expert might be able to give us an idea of how to switch the marker lights off. Perhaps this will need a wiring change as well as new function. I have mentioned to Mike that the F20 disable directional lights just does the same as F0 (lights on/off) rather than disabling the auto directional change. That would leave lights the same forwards and and reverse. Preferably there would also be a function to switch the tail lights off when coupled up.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Edna Clouds said:

Me too! Current puzzle is what to do about the bogie with the guard irons being at the back while the coupling housing is at the front. I suppose simply snip off the housing - it's not really needed - and re-fit the bogie t'other way round.  Cracking model with very nice sound. Happy chap in the playpen today.

I snipped the NEM pocket off and tided it up with a file and put it back on the right way round. Next I will delve into the lighting as I would like the marker lights on the front to light up read in reverse and go off forwards.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, peteskitchen said:

I snipped the NEM pocket off and tided it up with a file and put it back on the right way round.

According to the RM review, there are to be new bogie frames offered to customers - I'm not too bothered and realistically how many times would you use such a loco tender-first - other for when it's working light? I seem to recall that the reverse turbine was an exceedingly small affair on the 1:1 model. Turning the bogie and snipping the pocket might be right way to go for this particular model.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

Another happy bunny here too! Mine arrived at noon, but have only managed a brief look at it and run up and down the test track. Certainly looks the part and a lovely sheen to the paint.

A few niggles as noted by others, such as the buffer beam/handrails, bogie guard irons and the lights. Mine is the basic dcc ready version, but I will investigate the lights once I've fitted a decoder. Nothing major like no exhaust port etc. like certain other manufacturers! ;-)

Very pleased with it and Keith should be proud of his first venture into this highly critical market. Can't wait for the Fell and hopefully DHP1.

• Agree 4

Regarding Function 5, can anybody please advise whether the "Manual Brake Application"  SHOULD slow the loco down?

It only seems to give the sound of a brake application. Is that correct?

I have become very accustomed to the effect of brake application on most of my Zimo sound fitted locos.

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

My dcc ready version arrived today, can anybody confirm whether the rear tender lights work when the

loco is in reverse please ?

These are lit red when travelling forward.

No big deal really, just curious.

Thanks.

No lights on the tender in reverse on mine, just the permanently lit 2 lights on the front.

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Riddles said:

Regarding Function 5, can anybody please advise whether the "Manual Brake Application"  SHOULD slow the loco down?

It only seems to give the sound of a brake application. Is that correct?

I have become very accustomed to the effect of brake application on most of my Zimo sound fitted locos.

Function F5 does work as long as it is combined with a reduction in the speed setting as well. If speed is reduced to zero it will come to a halt more quickly (combined with brake actuation sound). If not reduced to zero it will slow more quickly than without F5 and then resume the new lower speed setting.

David

Just opened my GT3, very impressed. The dcc sound is convincing and the lighting superb. Runs like a dream with 10 coaches. The overall finish is immaculate, I hope that KRM will help other well known manufacturers to mix the correct colour green. For £285 with sound an amazing first model and well worth the wait.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

GT3 green was NOT BR green - it was a much bluer shade.

John Isherwood.

A fair point but I think I know what Engineer143125 means. One of my first reactions on viewing my model was, “Why can’t Hornby achieve this standard of finish?”

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

A fair point but I think I know what Engineer143125 means. One of my first reactions on viewing my model was, “Why can’t Hornby achieve this standard of finish?”

If we're referring to finish - I'm with you all the way!!

Getting the colour correct isn't rocket science, either - Hornby Dublo managed it in the eary 1950s.

John Isherwood.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

If we're referring to finish - I'm with you all the way!!

Getting the colour correct isn't rocket science, either - Hornby Dublo managed it in the eary 1950s.

John Isherwood.

As for Hornby’s BR greens, the rocket science seems to be of Elon Musk standard. Didn’t his last rocket undergo a “rapid unscheduled disassembly” on landing? (It blew up.)