KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

9 minutes ago, Wagonmaster said:

Yes, I had this on mine too. Superglue is a no no, you'll ruin it, as you say. I used small dabs of Glue'n'Glaze, which is a PVA type glue. This will stick it, but not ruin anything if it ends up in the wrong place!

Also, if you press the bump, it might appear elsewhere, if you see what I mean. So, like I had to do, you may have to loosen the chequer plate towards the front and re-flatten it having applied glue. If you can get a weight on it to keep it flat whilst drying, it will help. I used a spare flat weight out of a carriage. 

Hope that helps. Enjoy.

Cheers Mr Master, I have Card glue which is also PVA Diluted, I can always wash it off too, Great idea

I see a tab into the body one at least but  I only had a quick fondle at lunchtime so did not get to give it  a right ol look over to see whats what.

Must be the massive temperatures in Ireland we are getting that expanded the metal :)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Buckton was a full time union official (probably an Area Organiser?) at that time and didn't become Assistant General Secretary (to A.E Griffiths) until 1963).   However personalities would have been irrelevant - what counted was what was in the 1957 Manning Agreement and any decisions made by the Manning Committee if the loco was ever discussed there (which I doubt as it never entered traffic and only ever worked test trains).

Ray Buckton was a very nice bloke, my Uncle was branch secretary at the + and often had Ray at his house (well actually Bungalow) for fish and chips and beer, mostly beer as I recall......but then I was only a dot back then, but he did give me loads of train stuff, of which some I still have tucked away in the loft I think.

We were a very strong union family back then, and the sense of fair for all still pervades but even harder to achieve nowadays.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Down_Under said:

One just landed in Aus. Thank you muchly Keith and the team.

now who is gonna be the first to convert to EM or P4?

I received mine in South Australia a couple of weeks ago but I did order immediately it was announced. Lovely model, looking forward to seeing the re-jigged bogie and buffer beam, then it will be spot on. I reckon KR have done  a terrific job in getting this model to market in the time they have. Good luck to them for future productions maybe:

Big Bertha

LMR Kitson saddle tanks

OOps, not wish listing........Just suggestions:rolleyes:.

Sorry Andy:D:D.

Rgds........Mike

• Like 1

Regarding the wobbly walkplates on the sides, mine were perfect when delivered but they have since started to lift. I haven't done owt with them yet but wondering if double sided micro tape would do the job.

• RMweb Gold

I have now run a GT3 on the layout on behalf of a friend so it could stretch its legs, it was dropped off after being run in on a rolling road and his own layout and I was asked to see what it could haul/ top speed.

The standard of paint finish is very good, but for a fairly simple locomotive there are detail issues with some missing altogether. The front steps were as others bent by the forward handrail, and the plating is lifting and warping on the side walkway on both sides. The buffers spin easily so will need to be glued in place as they spun around as the locomotive powered around the layout, and as is known It has the guard irons on the rear of the front bogie.  

It came to me with a decoder fitted by the owner and he stated that the wiring on this loco was incorrect and needed re-working. As such it was tested on DCC using various speed settings. 

I ran it with 8 Bachman Mk1's as well as light engine forwards and reverse, I also hooked up 8 kit built coaches, these are heavy but run more freely than the Bachmann Mk1's.  The circuit is about 25M of plain track and complex pointwork with no gradients.

Running was good for quite a while, it was a bit odd running the layout and facetiming the owner so could see it, but I managed to juggle the phone to give a reasonable view for him. After quite a few circuits of medium and full speed it started to 'stutter'.  I cleaned the track and wheels checking for dirt and It then ran ok for a while but stuttered again. So I again cleaned the wheels and track and checked the electrical connections to the layout as it had been re-assembled for testing this loco. Further running was carried out and the 'stuttering' continued. I ran 2 known good running locos with the same loads, and they ran without issue, I also ran a loco which has just 2 wheel pick up and that ran faultlessly.  With further intermittant 'Stuttering' when running  I asked the owner if he wanted it opened up (which he did) and I noted a problem with the pick ups. I filmed & photographed the issue and suggested a fix, but he asked for it to be left so he could assess what to do with it when he picked it up. I understand he has now fixed the problem but is less than happy about having to do it. With the myriad of minor and 2 major faults I suggested returning it, but he obviously chose not to.

I did note the motor ran very warm, not hot enough to burn fingers but certainly a lot warmer than any other loco (RTR & Kitbuilt) that I have.

• Informative/Useful 2

42 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I have now run a GT3 on the layout on behalf of a friend so it could stretch its legs, it was dropped off after being run in on a rolling road and his own layout and I was asked to see what it could haul/ top speed.

The standard of paint finish is very good, but for a fairly simple locomotive there are detail issues with some missing altogether. The front steps were as others bent by the forward handrail, and the plating is lifting and warping on the side walkway on both sides. The buffers spin easily so will need to be glued in place as they spun around as the locomotive powered around the layout, and as is known It has the guard irons on the rear of the front bogie.  

It came to me with a decoder fitted by the owner and he stated that the wiring on this loco was incorrect and needed re-working. As such it was tested on DCC using various speed settings. 

I ran it with 8 Bachman Mk1's as well as light engine forwards and reverse, I also hooked up 8 kit built coaches, these are heavy but run more freely than the Bachmann Mk1's.  The circuit is about 25M of plain track and complex pointwork with no gradients.

Running was good for quite a while, it was a bit odd running the layout and facetiming the owner so could see it, but I managed to juggle the phone to give a reasonable view for him. After quite a few circuits of medium and full speed it started to 'stutter'.  I cleaned the track and wheels checking for dirt and It then ran ok for a while but stuttered again. So I again cleaned the wheels and track and checked the electrical connections to the layout as it had been re-assembled for testing this loco. Further running was carried out and the 'stuttering' continued. I ran 2 known good running locos with the same loads, and they ran without issue, I also ran a loco which has just 2 wheel pick up and that ran faultlessly.  With further intermittant 'Stuttering' when running  I asked the owner if he wanted it opened up (which he did) and I noted a problem with the pick ups. I filmed & photographed the issue and suggested a fix, but he asked for it to be left so he could assess what to do with it when he picked it up. I understand he has now fixed the problem but is less than happy about having to do it. With the myriad of minor and 2 major faults I suggested returning it, but he obviously chose not to.

I did note the motor ran very warm, not hot enough to burn fingers but certainly a lot warmer than any other loco (RTR & Kitbuilt) that I have.

I've had mine for two weeks now and have ran it a lot. It's had two long sessions of over two hours running and it's still running beautifuily. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

More info on the problem and the fix might be useful.

Assuming this was the loco - not tender? The GT3 tender pick ups are through the bearings. I have used a conductive lubricant for this.  This fixed a problem on Bachmann Class 40's (before they have added the extra wiper pick ups on later models) as the factory gungy grease resulted in crazy stuttering.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

More info on the problem and the fix might be useful.

I asked if I could post pictures but I've been asked not to, he is not a member here but follows the Facebook page. I don't know for sure but he may want to ask to return it.

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Hardly a Myriad Surely. Tad Dramatic per Chance?

Myriad - A great number.

Dramatic ? Only if you want to see it that way.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Reading some of the comments on here its like being in a surreal environment. Lots of different people have noted problems on their GT3, Chris p bacon collated the ones he has seen.. but is wrong to point them out.

I hope that KR can learn from the GT3.Yes they have delivered them  (which is good) but they have some glaring errors .the bogie being a major one  the lighting being another one. This comes from a set of drawings provided to them..so it should be perfect, but the lighting needs real understanding of the locomotive. The live steam GT3 is a very well designed and built model.  

If any other manufacturer had delivered the GT3 people would have been very vocal. I  do not expect to have to change any CVs to get things to work..

No doubt I'll receive lots of protests but..a loco is not just a shiny paint finish...

Baz

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

I hope that KR can learn from the GT3.Yes they have delivered them  (which is good) but they have some glaring errors .the bogie being a major one  the lighting being another one. This comes from a set of drawings provided to them..so it should be perfect, but the lighting needs real understanding of the locomotive. The live steam GT3 is a very well designed and built model. 

They have learnt with regards to the bogie frames and buffer beam having the hand rail holes in the wrong place meaning they lean forward. From what I understand they will be remaking them and replacing these. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

They have learnt with regards to the bogie frames and buffer beam having the hand rail holes in the wrong place meaning they lean forward. From what I understand they will be remaking them and replacing these. 

They are doing new bogie frames, didn’t hear anything about new buffer beams though. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

They are doing new bogie frames, didn’t hear anything about new buffer beams though. 

It is in this thread somewhere. Have you read it all?

• RMweb Premium

I’m not wading back through 82 pages worth lol. I bent the handrails to get in the holes and that suits me fine. I chopped the NEM pocket off the bogie too and turned it around so the guard irons are at the front as they should be. If replacement parts do get shipped to me then they will most likely remain unused in the packaging. 

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’m not wading back through 82 pages worth lol. I 

I reckon these 82 pages would form a good reference for a study of the psychology of crowdfunding and social media aggression during a global pandemic...

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

17 hours ago, Barry O said:

Reading some of the comments on here its like being in a surreal environment. Lots of different people have noted problems on their GT3, Chris p bacon collated the ones he has seen.. but is wrong to point them out.

Dave’s not wrong to point errors out, like anyone. But he has been one of the constant snipers in this thread, so it comes across as just more of the same-old same-old. That’s all. 

• Agree 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, truffy said:

Dave’s not wrong to point errors out, like anyone. But he has been one of the constant snipers in this thread, so it comes across as just more of the same-old same-old. That’s all. 

I think a fair few on here confuse pointing out errors that didn't get fixed as sniping. I wrote to KR several times with no response so made the comments public. 

Instead of brown nosing, if posters had taken the time to actually study the EP and various videos released they would have spotted the errors. Some are minor compared to others, but they were all avoidable on the finished model.

I have had several messages from others who have had similar issues with their models, but when asked to post about them have said they wont as they consider there to be too many pro KR bullies in the thread. 2 comments further up this page from 2 wastes of space tend to back that up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Tim Hall said:

Anyone else still waiting? I emailed them nearly 3 weeks ago and was told that my order was "being processed". 

Yup. Still waiting for my pair Down Under.