KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

8 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Had an email notifying me of the final payment taken on my 2nd run GT3 over the weekend.

Still haven't received the loco though........:jester:

Stewart

because the 2nd production hasn't been made yet.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/05/2021 at 20:51, JCL said:

I can hear a whoosh sound. :) 

The pain of the uncivil war in this thread has still to heal wounds, so humour and blue sky has yet to break out smiles.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/04/2021 at 06:06, Tim Hall said:

I have, as I'm still waiting, with an increasing sense of doom....but no reply yet.

Arrived today via Hermes. Took me by surprise, as no tracking data received. Anyway, it's had a gentle bit of running without problems so far.

• Like 5

I cannot recall where, but I did hear somewhere about the cab light being red being correct, it having that to allow drivers better adjustment to the dark of night than a bright white light.

Just wish I could recall a source.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, 69843 said:

I cannot recall where, but I did hear somewhere about the cab light being red being correct, it having that to allow drivers better adjustment to the dark of night than a bright white light.

That would surprise me - the use of a red light in a railway environment would surely be open to dangerous interpretation.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

That would surprise me - the use of a red light in a railway environment would surely be open to dangerous interpretation.

John Isherwood.

On a steam loco at night when the firehole door was opened the cab would be bathed in light which would vary from orange when the fire was bright to dull red if the fire was very low.

Red light in a railway environment........

Les

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

On a steam loco at night when the firehole door was opened the cab would be bathed in light which would vary from orange when the fire was bright to dull red if the fire was very low.

Red light in a railway environment........

Les

Quite true - I suppose it would depend upon how any red light source was diffused.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

Misinterpreting a red light as a "stop" instruction is surely fail safe rather than dangerous.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Misinterpreting a red light as a "stop" instruction is surely fail safe rather than dangerous.

Indeed - but disruptive if every train running in the opposite direction came to an emergency stop !!! :o

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, 69843 said:

Sams trains said the cab light was red in his review

8 hours ago, 69843 said:

That’s interesting. I wondered if that might possibly be the case.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Quite true - I suppose it would depend upon how any red light source was diffused.

John Isherwood.

I wonder to what extent things were illuminated by a red light?  Logically it wouldn't be very much and t was well shaded so as not to be seen from outside as any Signalman seeinga red light would immediately stop all traffic and any other train where the Driver noticed the red light would also come smartly to a stand as the Rules required.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, truffy said:

The difference between a red stop sign and red cab light (other than intensity and direction) being that one is moving and the other isn’t. 

Brakevan red lights move.

Whatever; if we are talking about a dim, shaded red light in the cab of GT3, that could be barely discerned from the outside, I can imagine that would be perfectly safe.

However, I get the impression that the red light in the model cab is rather too obvious - my comment was made on that basis.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Whatever; if we are talking about a dim, shaded red light in the cab of GT3, that could be barely discerned from the outside, I can imagine that would be perfectly safe.

However, I get the impression that the red light in the model cab is rather too obvious - my comment was made on that basis.

John Isherwood.

Indeed, it was probably used (or tried as an experiment) as dim red lighting is used in many areas of special use, like armoured vehicles interiors in conflict, submarines/warship areas during conflict situations, there is science behind it as the human eye is more sensitive to red light when at the same intensity as an equivalent white light.

Whatever though, it’s going to look odd on a non firebox engine with firebox lighting :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

Agree John. The red light in the cab may have been fairly low intensity and perhaps more inclined towards amber rather than bright red. As for the model I could live with the red if the brightness could be turned down. I tried doing this via the function mapping as it is a V5 decoder but perhaps this LD is not dimmable?

I'm pleased that the tender buffers will be round and I expect the front bogie guard irons / buffer beam / steps will be corrected as per the replacements to be sent to us who purchased the first run.

It would be handy to know what changes will be included in the second run. For example will the straps over the springs of the tender be included.

It could be that these specification changes including some decoder settings are being worked on.

Dave

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, truffy said:

The difference between a red stop sign and red cab light (other than intensity and direction) being that one is moving and the other isn’t. 

Agreed - but the reaction to it has to be the same.  A red light on the front of a train turned on in an emergency, or a red light shown from the cab,  to alert other trains and Signalmen are exactly that - a red light which is moving.   I think that John Isherwood has correctly identified the issue..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/05/2021 at 07:37, adb968008 said:

@KR Models

Will the second run have the lighting updated to have the front mounted reverse tail lights in red and in reverse only ?

I think my question got overtaken by Peter kay driving down the A666.

so i’ll risk it again...

Will the second run have the lighting updated to have the front mounted reverse tail lights in red and only lit in reverse only ?

(They are white today, and lit both going forwards and reverse).

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2