KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I think my question got overtaken by Peter kay driving down the A666.

so i’ll risk it again...

Will the second run have the lighting updated to have the front mounted reverse tail lights in red and only lit in reverse only ?

(They are white today, and lit both going forwards and reverse).

Looking at the circuit board and plugs, it seems that the locomotive lights are wired properly. SGP on screen 74 has helpfully provided us with a diagram. It would, I think, be a simple job to unplug everything from the circuit board, take out two screws and remove it. The a new circuit board could be screwed in and the plugs re-attached. The question is, will a new circuit board be made available? For people with a sound decoder, it would be necessary to re-programme the decoder to control the lights.

On 04/05/2021 at 16:44, 97403_Ixion said:

Paid in full for the first run when ordered but still waiting here too...

Thanks to KR Models who got in touch earlier in the week and arranged the delivery, apologising for the delays.  Pleased to say the model arrived today, though yet to get it fully out to take a look but generally looks good and a pleasing addition to a growing fleet of Experimental locos!

Now looking to getting an order in soon for the Fell - I gather once decorated samples are in, the order book will close soon after.

On 07/05/2021 at 10:44, The Stationmaster said:

Agreed - but the reaction to it has to be the same.  A red light on the front of a train turned on in an emergency, or a red light shown from the cab,  to alert other trains and Signalmen are exactly that - a red light which is moving.   I think that John Isherwood has correctly identified the issue..

There is a difference though between seeing "red light" and seeing "red light".  I would imagine that a single point source of red light looks very different to the red light sourced within a cab and then diffused through the side of a cab window.

Any astro photographers will recognise the use of red light in order to not destroy night vision and that it doesn't need to be very bright to provide adequate illumination to see what you're doing and not disturb other photographers.  Looking straight into one of those led head torches is another matter however....   

In this case, it would seem that if there is red light pouring out of the model's cab window, as John Isherwood says, its a tad too bright.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

There is a difference though between seeing "red light" and seeing "red light".  I would imagine that a single point source of red light looks very different to the red light sourced within a cab and then diffused through the side of a cab window.

Any astro photographers will recognise the use of red light in order to not destroy night vision and that it doesn't need to be very bright to provide adequate illumination to see what you're doing and not disturb other photographers.  Looking straight into one of those led head torches is another matter however....   

In this case, it would seem that if there is red light pouring out of the model's cab window, as John Isherwood says, its a tad too bright.

On the railway there is no difference - a noticeable red light is a red light.  And  very few railway employees concerned with operational safety are likely to be astro-photographers, their job is to react correctly to a red light.   As we've already said a bright red light is one thing, a dim read light restricted in area it covers is another.

• Agree 1

There would not have been red cab lights. I need proof otherwise.

Indeed any red tint would be light reflection from the red carpeting that was fitted inside the cab. 

If research has been so thorough as to turn up proof of red cab lights, how come the round rear buffers, seen on many photos was overlooked? 

It is rather annoying that those who put money upfront for the GT3 have bogie, handrail, rear buffers, white front tail light and circuit board issues, whilst those that sat on the fence and now want a second run are getting all the problems sorted out. <_<

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, SGP said:

It is rather annoying that those who put money upfront for the GT3 have bogie, handrail, rear buffers, white front tail light and circuit board issues, whilst those that sat on the fence and now want a second run are getting all the problems sorted out. <_<

The early bird may catch the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SGP said:

those that sat on the fence and now want a second run are getting all the problems sorted out.

Are they?

KR Models have said they are sorting some of those problems you listed for those who bought the first run.

They have been silent on whether the remaining issues would be sorted for either of the two runs.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, SGP said:

Indeed any red tint would be light reflection from the red carpeting that was fitted inside the cab. 

If research has been so thorough as to turn up proof of red cab lights, how come the round rear buffers, seen on many photos was overlooked? 

I'm not convinced about a red cab light either. I would like to see the piece of documentation that states that this was the case. If it is proven that GT3 had a red cab light, I'll gladly disconnect my replacement white one and restore the red one!

As for the other issues, they have, or will be shortly sorted. At least they are not major like a certain Class 44 I have!

• Like 2

On 07/05/2021 at 10:41, boxbrownie said:

Indeed, it was probably used (or tried as an experiment) as dim red lighting is used in many areas of special use, like armoured vehicles interiors in conflict, submarines/warship areas during conflict situations, there is science behind it as the human eye is more sensitive to red light when at the same intensity as an equivalent white light.

Whatever though, it’s going to look odd on a non firebox engine with firebox lighting :D

Different situation but for the same reasons, visibility at night, Teesmouth Lifeboat Station (RIP) used red interior boathouse lighting for night launches to enable the crew’s eyes to adjust to the darkness much more quickly when the boat was launched. Otherwise, after being in white light you would be just about blind in the darkness at the foot of the slipway. Other lifeboat stations had or have the same.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 10/05/2021 at 18:07, SGP said:

.........and if They didn’t sort them out for a new run they would get criticised on here for ignoring these issues, wouldn’t they?  

They are sending out replacement parts to address many of the issues raised, not many other manufacturers have done that. 

Edited by D9001
  • Agree 8

12 hours ago, D9001 said:

They are sending out replacement parts to address many of the issues raised, not many other manufacturers have done that. 

Quite.   It seems all manufacturers are capable of making some  fairly serious errors.  Equally, its important to keep things in perspective.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/145576-ptajtajua-by-accurascale-now-with-added-bsc-inners/&do=findComment&comment=4395103

• Like 2

My GT3 runs in DC/analogue mode and I am asking if anyone has solved the problem of the always illuminated directional lighting, in particular on the loco. I have seen the DCC fix suggested by Wagonmaster (page 78 of this topic) but am looking to sort out the headcode marker lights and the lower set of lights so as they only illuminate when the loco is moving in the appropriate

direction. It will be easy enough to chage the colour of the lower lights from the current incorrect white to red. I have been wondering if the introduction of diodes into the relative wiring might solve the problem. Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, locoman462 said:

My GT3 runs in DC/analogue mode and I am asking if anyone has solved the problem of the always illuminated directional lighting, in particular on the loco. I have seen the DCC fix suggested by Wagonmaster (page 78 of this topic) but am looking to sort out the headcode marker lights and the lower set of lights so as they only illuminate when the loco is moving in the appropriate

direction. It will be easy enough to chage the colour of the lower lights from the current incorrect white to red. I have been wondering if the introduction of diodes into the relative wiring might solve the problem. Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.

Yes, I tbink placing diodes in the relative wiring would solve your problem. 

• Like 1

Yes, diodes would work but how many times do you actually need tail lights? I blanked my tail lights with duct tape, unplugged the rear tail lights and snipped the cab lights permanently. There ought to be a DIP switch underneath to switch them off, most other manufacturers fit them.

Edited by SGP
spelling
  • Like 2

On 13/05/2021 at 15:44, locoman462 said:

Further to the comments and advice from Wagonmaster, SGp and Barry O, I inserted diodes into the red and white wires at the front end of the loco immediately behind the LED housing unfortunately without any success solving the problem. In fact, they seemed to have no affect on the lights whatsoever. Both the headcode disc and lower directional lights performed as before. I did not put a diode in the black wire as this seemed to be a common return. I am now wondering if the exercise carried out by Wagonmaster on the Tender wiring  to solve the problem for DCC operation might also work for DC operation but obviously without the ability to control use of same.

Like SGP, I have blanked off the cab and rear (tender) tail lights to stop them showing when hauling a train, but really would like the front directional lights to show red and the headcode lights not illuminate when reversing onto the train.

Unfortunately, I only have a basic knowledge of DCC ready / fitted wiring. Any further ideas would be most appreciated.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hmm. A diode only works one way round so, as the lights are all diodes and by default should only work forwards OR backwards, it would seem that those errant front tail lights are getting a double feed somehow. 

I haven't tried fitting a diode inline myself, I just blanked it with duct tape. The red wire is a feed to both sets of front lamps so I would fit the diode to the black wire controlling the front tail lights. A lot of messing about sorting out which wire to cut and then which way round the diode needs to be fitted. You can bet that you won't get it right first time.

6 hours ago, SGP said:

A lot of messing about sorting out which wire to cut...

Now Im just picturing a disposal squad scene in some kinda action movie panicking over a model train with dramatic music... :P 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Please bare in mind that bits of this information is poor at best and sketchy at worst. Its not been easy to find said information, but we have worked with what we have got.

The interior cab lighting, this has been confirmed to be red. The GT3 when it was alive and kicking did have red cab lighting. 

Lighting while engine is moving backwards - The GT3 does have directional lighting (and this is now fixed on the 2nd run), but the GT3 never ran backwards. It never had that ability to do so, it only ever moved forwards. At the time, we had no data to confirm or deny that the GT3 had directional lighting, nor was it easy to find any such information at all. 

Lighting while engine is moving forward - The headcodes lights are meant to be white, obviously. The lights underneath the headcodes currently are white, while the lights on the tender buffer beam is red. We haven't found any information informing us otherwise. If any concrete documentation does come out confirming that they are in fact meant to be red, then we will happily correct our mistake. 

If you have any questions regarding the matter, feel free to ask them and i'll do my best so answer them. - Michael

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, KR Models said:

Please bare in mind that bits of this information is poor at best and sketchy at worst. Its not been easy to find said information, but we have worked with what we have got.

The interior cab lighting, this has been confirmed to be red. The GT3 when it was alive and kicking did have red cab lighting. 

Lighting while engine is moving backwards - The GT3 does have directional lighting (and this is now fixed on the 2nd run), but the GT3 never ran backwards. It never had that ability to do so, it only ever moved forwards. At the time, we had no data to confirm or deny that the GT3 had directional lighting, nor was it easy to find any such information at all. 

Lighting while engine is moving forward - The headcodes lights are meant to be white, obviously. The lights underneath the headcodes currently are white, while the lights on the tender buffer beam is red. We haven't found any information informing us otherwise. If any concrete documentation does come out confirming that they are in fact meant to be red, then we will happily correct our mistake. 

If you have any questions regarding the matter, feel free to ask them and i'll do my best so answer them. - Michael

Thanks Michael for this update. Guess I will stick with the red cab lights and the white lights under the buffer beam if that is the best info to hand. You mention that the directional lights will be fixed on the second run. How will this be represented, even though the GT3 did not run backwards? It would also be useful if the tail lights could be switched off when coupled up to rolling stock. Will that be possible with DCC on the second run?  I very much appreciate what you are doing to deal with the small corrections on the second run. I have been so impressed with the model that I have ordered ANO but with having a first run already if there could be a set of instructions for upgrading to the same level as the second run that would be great.

David