KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

The link worked for me but it just asked for my name, email and phone no. No delivery address information was requested.

Just re-tried the link and it now says “product not found” as Metr0land states.

Looks like KR will have to have a second go at getting this sorted.

Darius

I had the link work but with no address request and the whole idea to contact people who have changed address then need to start again I reckon.

• Agree 1

On 01/11/2021 at 05:07, TheEngineShed said:

That circular cut-out should be an easy fix, assuming there isn't tender frame structure behind it...

I agree, and it's on my list of small changes to sort.

I just find a bit of irony in a fix being applied but then the other fix not being applied.

• Agree 2

Second mail link worked for me too!

Actually, I think this is pretty damned fine customer support from KRM. I'm aware that you can (could?) get replacement parts from the big two, if you knew to ask, but this proactive outreach is something new. At least to me!

Admittedly, the big two sell mainly through third-party retail, and KRM direct. Nevertheless, well impressed!

Edited by truffy
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4

Don’t hold your breath on this. I ordered a DCC Sound version of GT3 but was sent an analogue (non-sound) version. KR Models offered to send me a chip to fit myself but I’m still waiting and they are no longing responding to my enquiries.

• Friendly/supportive 1

The wiring expert at Rainhill MRC has come up with a simple fix to solve the ANALOG directional front lighting issue on GT3.

TENDER; Locate 4 way plug at front of chassis and remove black wire from position marked 'NF' (We chose to disconnect the plug and carefully push the wire out from the rear of the plug so it could be reconnected if DCC operation was required in the future). Connect a 2.2k resistor to the black wire. Carefully solder a short piece of wire to Pin 7 on the blanking plug. Slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over the resistor before soldering the blanking plug wire to the end of the resistor.

Test run the loco which should now show headcode lights only in forward direction and marker lights only in reverse direction.

LOCOMOTIVE; Change colour of the marker lights from white to red by either placing a small piece of translucent red sweet wrapper between the LED and lens in the lower half of lighting unit at thr front of the loco or alternatively, paint LED red.

As I didn't want the cab lighting feature, I blanked off the cab LED rather that cut the wiring to it.

REAR TENDER LIGHTS; These are unafected by the amendments to the loco front lights so I drilled a small hole just ahead of the rear axle just big enough to fit a small slider switch. I cut the red wire to the LED and joined the ends to the switch contact  tabs. I can now choose to have the rear lights on when running light engine or off when pulling a train.

I hope that these instructions will be of use to those analog GT3 users. Whilst accepting that in all probability, the real GT3  would have used red lens oil lamps rather that the fitted electric lights, I think that this conversion is better than what the model came with.

IMG_20211111_235406.jpg

• Informative/Useful 4

Brilliant, I just read all 91 pages, well actually from 73 onwards. You all are certainly an entertaining bunch. Nothing wrong with passion, but as one of the other members mentioned, we are talking about models here. So play nice. I joined because I was one of those who bought direct from KR Models on ebay, one of those left overs. So despite all the valid  comments I love the engine... I had a Hornby TTS decoder sitting around so bought a 21 pin to 8 converter and installed it.  I did a video on YouTube, see the link below. Now since then I have added a capacitor stay alive to the TTS to overcome the drop outs and it's working lovely.. I actually quite like the lights. But thats just my personal opinion.

Edited by Craigs Hornby Upgrades
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Craigs Hornby Upgrades said:

Brilliant, I just read all 91 pages, well actually from 73 onwards. You all are certainly an entertaining bunch. Nothing wrong with passion, but as one of the other members mentioned, we are talking about models here. So play nice. I joined because I was one of those who bought direct from KR Models on ebay, one of those left overs. So despite all the valid  comments I love the engine... I had a Hornby TTS decoder sitting around so bought a 21 pin to 8 converter and installed it.  I did a video on YouTube, see the link below. Now since then I have added a capacitor stay alive to the TTS to overcome the drop outs and it's working lovely.. I actually quite like the lights. But thats just my personal opinion.

Which TTS decoder did you use for the turbine sounds?

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Craigs Hornby Upgrades said:

Class 66...sound is good enough for £46 and to be honest the horns, whistles and other sound files are better than the loksound 5.

The 66 sounds are great, nothing like a gas turbine locomotive though haha

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/11/2021 at 18:49, Craigs Hornby Upgrades said:

I love the floor lighting, not that i’m going to tell that to my misses.

:D

• Like 1

On 17/11/2021 at 21:51, locoman462 said:

The wiring expert at Rainhill MRC has come up with a simple fix to solve the ANALOG directional front lighting issue on GT3.

TENDER; Locate 4 way plug at front of chassis and remove black wire from position marked 'NF' (We chose to disconnect the plug and carefully push the wire out from the rear of the plug so it could be reconnected if DCC operation was required in the future). Connect a 2.2k resistor to the black wire. Carefully solder a short piece of wire to Pin 7 on the blanking plug. Slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over the resistor before soldering the blanking plug wire to the end of the resistor.

Test run the loco which should now show headcode lights only in forward direction and marker lights only in reverse direction.

LOCOMOTIVE; Change colour of the marker lights from white to red by either placing a small piece of translucent red sweet wrapper between the LED and lens in the lower half of lighting unit at thr front of the loco or alternatively, paint LED red.

As I didn't want the cab lighting feature, I blanked off the cab LED rather that cut the wiring to it.

REAR TENDER LIGHTS; These are unafected by the amendments to the loco front lights so I drilled a small hole just ahead of the rear axle just big enough to fit a small slider switch. I cut the red wire to the LED and joined the ends to the switch contact  tabs. I can now choose to have the rear lights on when running light engine or off when pulling a train.

I hope that these instructions will be of use to those analog GT3 users. Whilst accepting that in all probability, the real GT3  would have used red lens oil lamps rather that the fitted electric lights, I think that this conversion is better than what the model came with.

IMG_20211111_235406.jpg

Just as a point of information, I covered my alterations for dcc use in my post of 2nd April on page 78, just in case anyone finds it useful!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Wagonmaster said:

Just as a point of information, I covered my alterations for dcc use in my post of 2nd April on page 78, just in case anyone finds it useful!

This one?

• 3 weeks later...

Just had notification from KR that the 2nd run GT3s have arrived at the UK warehouse and processing for dispatch to UK and overseas customers is to commence shortly. UK orders will be sent by Royal Mail.

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, rembrow said:

Just had notification from KR that the 2nd run GT3s have arrived at the UK warehouse and processing for dispatch to UK and overseas customers is to commence shortly. UK orders will be sent by Royal Mail.

Yeah mine came through a few hours ago too! I'm glad its with Royal Mail I was curious who would be handling delivery as a courier as sometimes can be a bit of a pain to re-arrange/collection of stuff with things like Hermes or DPD etc as they can never seem to find my flat door even though its clearly labelled... this is a good sign for me!
I can't run them at the moment cos moving house but he can sit in the box and be admired at least. Hope the BR Blue one turns up soon too, not had an update on him yet.

1 hour ago, Lillian_R said:

Hope the BR Blue one turns up soon too, not had an update on him yet.

I dropped an email to Keith earlier regarding delivery of the Blues and received a reply just after 10pm from him saying.. and I quote...

"The GT3 BR Blue will be dispatched at the same time".

Now that's what I call responsive. Well done and thank you to Keith (@KR Models)! :good:

Edited by Railsnail
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, Railsnail said:

I dropped an email to Keith earlier regarding delivery of the Blues and received a reply just after 10pm from him saying.. and I quote...

"The GT3 BR Blue will be dispatched at the same time".

Now that's what I call responsive. Well done and thank you to Keith (@KR Models)! :good:

Oh so I'm gonna get them both together? Even better!

• Agree 1