KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

My Dad is quite annoyed there was no new buffer beam, as promised. It really sours a £300 model if you have to snip bits and drill and fill, just to get it presentable. Hope the Fell does better.

Neil

Edited by zoomer1979
Forgot name
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

My Dad is quite annoyed there was no new buffer beam, as promised. It really sours a £300 model if you have to snip bits and drill and fill, just to get it presentable. Hope the Fell does better.

Neil

I'm more miffed about the white lights on the front.Too many of 'em. I must get round to blanking some off.

• RMweb Gold
On 16/01/2022 at 08:40, ColinK said:

Still waiting for my loco.

Ditto. I guess KR models are not a retailer as such so depends on how many staff are on the task? Would be nice to get a message though about expected delivery.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I received my GT3 sound fitted version yesterday.

Here are a couple of pics. One with GT4 (aka APT-E) that is also sound fitted, and another with a shiny class 15.

GT3_1.jpg

GT3_2.jpg

Nice looking combo! As a matter of interest was that ordered some time ago, as part of the second run or a recent order?

11 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Nice looking combo! As a matter of interest was that ordered some time ago, as part of the second run or a recent order?

I order towards the end of last year from Rails. It is part of the second run.

I have now tested her on DCC and am delighted. Also the lights are not as bright as some photos here give the impression. Indeed I think they are fine, equal to say Bachmann's diesels.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/01/2022 at 08:40, ColinK said:

Still waiting for my loco.

My blue one arrived today, stunning model.  The plan was to have it running on my layout at the Chapel-en-le-Frith exhibition, but that show has been cancelled.  It was going to be the last exhibition appearance of the layout before I dismantled it, but the show has been cancelled, so I’ve no other bookings for it.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get hold of one of the second run of these. A superb loco in almost every respect except one, with lots of features of which other manufacturers would do well to take note; for example the very effective close coupling between loco and tender.  Apart from my comments below, the only alterations I plan to make are the installation of a better speaker as the factory fitted version is a tad feeble, and to sort out the head code discs.

My real problem with this loco however seems to be one that I've now heard is fairly common with other owners, and is well demonstrated in the excellent YouTube video of it running on Little Bytham - see

On the video at speed you can see it's juddering from side to side, although not as bad as the BG at the rear of the train !  Mine has a very definite waddle, and at speed judders in the same way. It spoils the running of what is otherwise an excellent model and, to be blunt, on a model at this price if, as appears to be the case, it's is a common fault, then it's really not acceptable. At first glance I'm not sure if it's a rear driving wheel issue, or an issue with the connecting rods. Has anyone with this issue found a simple solution rather than replacing driving wheels and/or replacing the collecting rods ?

I hasten to add I've not yet contacted KR for their comments, although I suspect it's an issue about which they'll be well aware.

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, tlm said:

I managed to get hold of one of the second run of these. A superb loco in almost every respect except one, with lots of features of which other manufacturers would do well to take note; for example the very effective close coupling between loco and tender.  Apart from my comments below, the only alterations I plan to make are the installation of a better speaker as the factory fitted version is a tad feeble, and to sort out the head code discs.

My real problem with this loco however seems to be one that I've now heard is fairly common with other owners, and is well demonstrated in the excellent YouTube video of it running on Little Bytham - see

On the video at speed you can see it's juddering from side to side, although not as bad as the BG at the rear of the train !  Mine has a very definite waddle, and at speed judders in the same way. It spoils the running of what is otherwise an excellent model and, to be blunt, on a model at this price if, as appears to be the case, it's is a common fault, then it's really not acceptable. At first glance I'm not sure if it's a rear driving wheel issue, or an issue with the connecting rods. Has anyone with this issue found a simple solution rather than replacing driving wheels and/or replacing the collecting rods ?

I hasten to add I've not yet contacted KR for their comments, although I suspect it's an issue about which they'll be well aware.

It's a similar coupling to the recent Bachmann V2 which has been commented on that RMWeb thread. Perhaps a connection on the connection!

1 hour ago, tlm said:

... at speed judders in the same way.

I can't detect anything excessive in the video; is what you perceive not a function of over-generous sideplay in the driving axles?

If there is more sideplay than you need, you can reduce it with Peco insulated washers, with a V cut out of them, pressed onto the outer driving axles between the wheels and the chassis; (in the same way that circlips are applied).

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 2

Sincere apologies to zr2498 if I didn't make the point clearly. While the loco to tender connector plug is of a similar design, it's the size of the loco to tender gap to which I was referring. On the new Bachmann V2, it's appalling (image attached)

1.jpg.9465e54ade9942d54f893546ece27f4b.jpg

with the (tender mounted) cab doors also leaving an absurd gap and hanging in mid air. On the GT3 by comparison the gap is tiny (image attached)

1962310725_GT3.jpg.f07f77c5e6b4f7fbeb9b21728588b4e7.jpg

and while I haven't checked for a cam mechanism, it reverses without difficulty through Peco small radius points on my test track.  Let's not forget the RRP for the V2 is considerably higher than the GT3's RRP.

Many thanks also to cctransuk for the suggestion. However, I don't think it's a side play issue, and the back-to-back measurements are fine. The loco has a small though distinct limp for want of a better description at low speed, which gives the juddering effect as speed increases. This might suggest a possible quartering issue, so I suspect it's time to subject it to the full Birkin F exam to see if I can locate the problem.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Received my DCC Sound GT3 recently - my first DCC fitted loco. Fabulous looker. Lights and motion work as expected, and reset the loco address - but I can't get any of the sound functions to... sound. Anyone have experience with one of these on a Digitrax controller? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by ekrafsur
adding thanks

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, ekrafsur said:

Received my DCC Sound GT3 recently - my first DCC fitted loco. Fabulous looker. Lights and motion work as expected, and reset the loco address - but I can't get any of the sound functions to... sound. Anyone have experience with one of these on a Digitrax controller? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

First thing is to check you have sound fitted rather than just DCC fitted. You have changed the address OK.

Do you still get motion and lights with F0?

What happens if you press F1. On sound fitted, sound starts, on DCC fitted (non sound) the cab lights come on.

• Like 1