KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

• RMweb Gold

Finally succumbed to a GT3, been umming and ahhing about one but Mike at c+m models had one in his second hand cabinet for a good price so I ended up getting it, sound fitted example too

4146F446-2B6C-4CE4-AFA5-3C97102E1BC0.jpe

I really need to stop donig these jobs where I finish near a model shop, it was kestrel last week and GT3 this week! Going to have to get some rest days in to pay for them both! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 months later...

Putting the company's past performance behind me,  I am currently considering a GT3 given that in this rerun perhaps earlier teething issues have been dealt with.  I have no interest in an expensive sound fitted model but a DCC ready model may be on the cards.   Alas,  the original "brown" livery is unavailable in DCC ready format at Rails so a fictional livery would be required.  I like the black LMS version,  however,  that is stretching reality a little too far for a loco manufactured in 1958.  LMS 10000 did run apparently in "LMS" livery until Stannier's death around 1951,  however  a black GT3 is too much to accept.  That leaves a BR green late crest which is more believable.  After a lifetime working on turbine engines in commercial aviation I do have an affinity for turbine powered locomotives.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Putting the company's past performance behind me,  I am currently considering a GT3 given that in this rerun perhaps earlier teething issues have been dealt with.  I have no interest in an expensive sound fitted model but a DCC ready model may be on the cards.   Alas,  the original "brown" livery is unavailable in DCC ready format at Rails so a fictional livery would be required.  I like the black LMS version,  however,  that is stretching reality a little too far for a loco manufactured in 1958.  LMS 10000 did run apparently in "LMS" livery until Stannier's death around 1951,  however  a black GT3 is too much to accept.  That leaves a BR green late crest which is more believable.  After a lifetime working on turbine engines in commercial aviation I do have an affinity for turbine powered locomotives.

pm me, I have one of the originals brand new.............almost I did run it on the rolling road!!

Mike

• 1 month later...

I have the black BR and green BR twin pack in DCC sound. I think they could be improved by giving them a proper number rather than "GT3" and maybe name plates - perhaps "Sir Frank Whittle".  Anyone have an idea as to what numbering system they would have been allocated had they ever gone into service? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Salmotrutta said:

I have the black BR and green BR twin pack in DCC sound. I think they could be improved by giving them a proper number rather than "GT3" and maybe name plates - perhaps "Sir Frank Whittle".  Anyone have an idea as to what numbering system they would have been allocated had they ever gone into service? 

I'm not sure that fictitious numbering will 'improve' any model, but ......

BR's only two gas turbines were numbered 18000 and 18100 - these were in the original 18xxx series allocated by BR to gas turbines.

However, by the time that GT3 was released, BR was using D prefixed numbers for diesel locomotives, and E prefixed numbers for electric locomotives. It might therefore be reasonable to suggest that BR might have numbered / renumbered its gas turbine locomotives in a G or GT prefixed number series.

CJI.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

There are recorded hints that JOP Hughes fancied 'Lord of the Isles' for the GT3 project. This is evident from at least one of the various concept sketches drawn by his daughter and I could well imagine it as his oblique homage to the GWR 4--6-0s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

BR's only two gas turbines were numbered 18000 and 18100 - these were in the original 18xxx series allocated by BR to gas turbines.

However, by the time that GT3 was released, BR was using D prefixed numbers for diesel locomotives, and E prefixed numbers for electric locomotives. It might therefore be reasonable to suggest that BR might have numbered / renumbered its gas turbine locomotives in a G or GT prefixed number series.

CJI.

It's really so that when I run them both they don't have the same numbering. Looking at the 1957 numbering they would be equivalent to class 4 diesels so G1 to G1999. Thanks for getting me started on this...:)

• RMweb Gold
On 18/01/2024 at 18:23, Salmotrutta said:

class 49, or maybe class 6x?

Using early 1970’s TOPS logic…

49… 2750hp, same as a 47, 49 is next spare sequence

or

60-69 gap in existed in numbering between diesels (01-55), Electric DC (70-74) and Electric AC (80-86)

They could have gone for class 9x series.. that series held all the oddballs in the 1970’s.. Steam (98) , Ships (99) Departmentals (97) etc,.. if gt3 remained a one off almost certainly it would have ended up in this series..96003 perhaps ?

As pre tops.. the number series was already prepared… 18xxx… if you look at the 1950’s DC electrics in the 26000/27000 series, they just became E26000/E27000 so likely G18000 in the 1960’s… maybe 18200 / G18200… if you add 50,000 like with the DCs.. youve got 68200… kind of like the sound of that !

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1