KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Yorkshire Square said:

The Chinese are not going to put cost price on the customs declaration. It’s not in their interest to reveal the phenomenal margins they’ll be making.

Additionally, if HMRC inspect one and feel the value is understated, they’ll impound that and then be on the lookout for similar packages. VAT and duty on a £285 model will be over £60. As a private importer, you’re unlikely to be able to get the VAT equivalent, levied in China, back. Oh and Royal Mail will levy a £8 fee for handling the VAT/duty collection.

No argument from me on that (except on the phenomenal margins part, which I feel is misguided).

However as Donald Rumsfeld would say... shipping remains one of known unknowns of this project. Theres a lot more unknowns to be known before that unknown becomes an important unknown.

once the unknowns are known, I remain an interested party to putting money where by mouth is, but keeping people in the dark doesn't seem to be an issue for the promoter.

we've got a CAD, the mechanism is interesting, and brings more unknowns, but the design has been done before and seen to be successful.

I hope theres a final CAD to come it would give confidence to know if an expert has been consulted on the measurements, dimensions, depth of features, granularity of detail etc, but so far nothing observed but a few comments on here, which may or may not be taken on board. 

To me the promoter has a take it or leave it approach to sales, but I also cant find any angle where he loses, success or failure, to me, he wins so for now, I’ll just wait and see what happens, as we move closer.

A year from now we may all be happy owners of a GT3.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, brianCAD said:

Sorry, it certainly wasn't intended that way - and your subsequent retort was uncalled for. 

I am genuinely concerned with some of the views expressed on this forum regarding mechanisms, being partly my stock in trade.

Fair point, I was a bit sharp in responding and I do use the auto censor to generate 'Boris', although this is mainly for comedy effect.  :victory:

I don't manufacture mechanisms but I've put plenty of rough ones together.... I just think that for a 6 coupled chassis with rods,  the initial geared  chassis is a very strange beast and the revised version is no better.  I agree that a well designed chassis with quality gears such as the Rapido Hudson would work well with no discernable difference to a 'regular' motor & gear combo.  

But for the GT3 there are no specifications or aspirations as to what sort of quality the drive is to be made to, this leads me to assume that price is driving the build and therefore the gears may not be to the highest quality/tolerance.  Coupled to the long gear train it could well see future problems with a high rate of returns to the manufacturer. 

And it is at this point that I will not awair EP, but fully-working and reviewed models. If they are superb, I may have to take a hit on a higher price (or not, if it's too high!)

But my earlier concerns about its performance can really only now be allayed by ... demonstrable performance!

Edited by truffy
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Cab steps have been improved in the latest CAD Image

D9397222-C306-4A41-A434-017856E092EF.jpeg

The CAD seems to indicate exhaust grilles - the balance of evidence appears to be that these did not exist; just open ports.

At some point, presumably, the enclosed roller bearings on the crankpins will be added?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

On 26/06/2019 at 01:59, chris p bacon said:

I'm not sure you can extrapolate that from the only answer given below.

A premises will have to be found that will enable the container to be unloaded in a short timescale or you start paying for downtime on the tractor unit and trailer, it will ideally have a forklift/mechanical handling and be quite a reasonable sized facility. The boxes from China will need to be unloaded and then the locos repackaged for onward post, it will need to be very secure as it will have the stock plus the customer details . This is something that should be organised at the start and it isn't really feasable to use a domestic address.

Just noting the part in Bold. All the funds for this are from 'Crowdfunding' (unsecured lending)  so whether it's put in place at the start of the project or the end makes no difference. You book a slot with a distribution centre based on the work and expected arrival date of the container. They are used to the timeframe moving as ships arrive early/late.  

As with other previous 'crowdfunded' models there is no idea as to the actual costs of this project, nor I doubt, are we likely to see any.

So he needs a UK freight forwarder with a decent (not the same as a large) warehouse which already handles retail e-com

Perfectly reasonable - until you have to set it up from Alberta , at which point blind-folds and dartboards become relevant. 

No interest in volunteering any services here - with a client in another jurisdiction that you can't realistically litigate in , I think I'd want cash up front before getting involved at all.

(If he thinks he's going to move it LCL and get a consolidator to do e-com out of their groupage shed within the 7 days' freetime , dream on......)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

Perfectly reasonable - until you have to set it up from Alberta , .........

- with a client in another jurisdiction that you can't realistically litigate in , I think I'd want cash up front before getting involved at all.

I did wonder about that part,  but can only go from (limited) experience.

Just now, chris p bacon said:

I did wonder about that part,  but can only go from (limited) experience.

Realistically - he'd have to approach a forwarder in Alberta , who had operations in both China (not a problem - any serious operation should have an agent/own office there )  and the UK. The UK needs , realistically, to be an owned operation with a reasonable warehouse operation attached. Oh, and the whole operation is "crosstrade" (or as the Yanks would say "foreign to foreign" )

Just how interested would the likes of DB Schenker be in a small one-off crosstrade operation like this??? The words "drop in the ocean" come to mind 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

The CAD seems to indicate exhaust grilles - the balance of evidence appears to be that these did not exist; just open ports.

At some point, presumably, the enclosed roller bearings on the crankpins will be added?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

If its just and etched grille then not too hard to remove if you feel necessary.

Not sure how the crankpins bearings would be done? Perhaps a clip on cover?

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

If its just and etched grille then not too hard to remove if you feel necessary.

Not sure how the crankpins bearings would be done? Perhaps a clip on cover?

Grilles (or not) - some representation of the exhaust ducting would need to modelled.

Crankpin bearings -  clip-on cover would seem to be easiest - it needs to clip onto the rod, not the crankpin, as the covers were integral with the rods and did not rotate. They had raised SKF markings.

1012844516_SKFLOGO.jpg.2e605e641dcce877972bede666f3ecb4.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

It seems that this its just a case of leaving gears out* to the front/ rear drivers during assembly rather than any other mods to the chassis. Still be interesting to see/read the results of the testing.

*I could be totally wrong about that but we'll see how it progresses.

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, KR Models said:

The first images of the tools.  It's coming together.

微信图片_20190822083841.jpg

微信图片_20190822083858.jpg

微信图片_20190822084142.jpg

Very interesting pictures it's starting to take shape now. Thank you for sharing them here Keith. Can't wait to see what you bring with you to the great electric train show in October for this project and the soon to be announced project.

Regards Gary 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, gary_lner said:

Very interesting pictures it's starting to take shape now. Thank you for sharing them here Keith. Can't wait to see what you bring with you to the great electric train show in October for this project and the soon to be announced project.

Regards Gary 

Thanks Gary,

We will have the first EP samples at the show.  Very much looking for to seeing the reality of all the hard work come to fruition.  

• Like 4