KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

14 minutes ago, Mad McCann said:

It looks highly impressive.

I assume this is a pay up front project then.

I only ask as I’m heavily committed with various situations and won’t likely have much disposable income until spring.

Davy.

Yes it is a pay up front, shut the eff up and dont ask me silly questions (like which consumer laws will you be complying with) project.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Now what to do with that Resin Kit GT3 I have?

There is a saying,  do not count your chickens until they have hatched.  It certainly does seem that most, if not all,  questions have been addressed and further product releases will flow with minimal cause for criticism.  It has been a steep learning curve though and many criticisms could and should have been quickly addressed instead of being left to fester.  The model in question does seem to be very innovative and well researched and does bode well for future model releases from this Chinese manufacturer.  To gauge the quality of the model release it would be interesting to know which other manufacturer chooses this company for their models,  but that information may well not be made known due confidentiality agreements.

• Agree 1

On 23/11/2019 at 11:35, Georgeconna said:

@Mr Decorum

Interesting Video. 

Yuo can change this now>>> Why can’t we have a Fell? Six engines for the price of one. It’s got to be a bargain!

You probably can in about a year’s time as KR have announced EoIs for it.

16 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Nice to see Postiviity now for this model. I will look forward to a Sound Version next year!

Now what to do with that Resin Kit GT3 I have?

I note that there are still one or two on here who just can’t bring themselves to be positive about it. I am looking forward to their comments in Q2, next year. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

19 minutes ago, D9001 said:

I note that there are still one or two on here who just can’t bring themselves to be positive about it. I am looking forward to their comments in Q2, next year. 

You really can't wait to say "I told you so", can you?

Some list members were, wisely, sceptical of a new-comer with a rather contentious attitude to potential customers.

Many are now prepared to say complimentary things about what has recently been presented - so far.

We all await reports of the running qualities, and a few of us are not going to make any positive comments until they have seen the production model in the flesh, and running.

To my mind, their caution is far from being negative - simply pragmatic.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

I was delighted to meet up with Keith and Michael yesterday, I found them to be very approachable and friendly, albeit initially cautious when I mentioned I was a member here!!! I like their attitude towards testing the different gearing arrangements, they clearly know what they're talking about and are very passionate about making great models and I love the look of the GT3.

Think back to where this project was just one year ago and you'll see that substantial progress has been made.

Kudos to them.

John E.

• Like 4

A non-running EP is a good start but there is still a long development road ahead until these are shipped as it would seem that the drive still has to be sorted and confirmed so I am not gushing like a new bride just yet.  I have never criticised the model only the process and I feel that some caution is prudent as it is the consumer funding the project.  Releasing a new model to market is difficult for even a well established brand so there has been a learning curve which will make future releases perhaps less stressful for both the manufacturer and the consumer.

Edit:  just for clarification to those gushing brides out there,  apart from criticism as to the number of driven axles,  I do not recall any of the detractors actually criticising the model itself.  The criticism is about the process and the reluctance of the manufacturer to be forthcoming with even basic information at first.  Any info had to be dragged out so who is actually responsible for the degree of criticism levelled against the project?   Remember that this is a crowd funded project not a self funded project.  If the manufacturer was funding the whole project then he could be as secretive as he wished,  but when involving public money then the public has a right to know pertinent details which were not initially shared. 

I think that the model is excellent and truly hope that the manufacturer has come out of his secrecy shell and is successful as the future projects "planned" are models that the mainstream manufacturers see no commercial interest in releasing.

Edited by GWR-fan
Additional info
  • Agree 4

Just now, Phil Parker said:

It's a running EP. We've talked to them about the testing process.

Many thanks.  I have not seen any information about the model being tested so am pleased that progress has been made.  Perhaps it was released on Facebook which I do not follow.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, GWR-fan said:

Many thanks.  I have not seen any information about the model being tested so am pleased that progress has been made.  Perhaps it was released on Facebook which I do not follow.

You don't have any information but still state it is a non-running EP. Since there will be many who have now had a look at the model and talked to Keith, it might be better to bide your time and wait for details.

Andy Y has recorded an interview with Keith which we'll put out later in the week. As I recall, it covers several points raised here. For all the misgivings, I found the KR team to be open and helpful. They asked us to record the interview for RMweb and BRM, and answered all the questions.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

You don't have any information but still state it is a non-running EP. Since there will be many who have now had a look at the model and talked to Keith, it might be better to bide your time and wait for details.

Andy Y has recorded an interview with Keith which we'll put out later in the week. As I recall, it covers several points raised here. For all the misgivings, I found the KR team to be open and helpful. They asked us to record the interview for RMweb and BRM, and answered all the questions.

Good evening Phil. Thanks for the cracking pic of the Gt3 the other day that you posted. Did you guys get a chance to see the Gt3 on the rolling road and sound samples for the interview? Looking forward to getting my GT3 next year.

Regards Gary 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, gary_lner said:

Did you guys get a chance to see the Gt3 on the rolling road and sound samples for the interview?

We didn't unfortunately as we got waylaid with other stuff which we needed to do on Saturday.

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, gary_lner said:

Good evening Phil. Thanks for the cracking pic of the Gt3 the other day that you posted. Did you guys get a chance to see the Gt3 on the rolling road and sound samples for the interview? Looking forward to getting my GT3 next year.

Regards Gary 

Sadly not. I was running around trying to get everything covered and @AY Mod was poorly. He's back at home editing now so look out for him doing his best Paxman soon.

There's also a couple more photos on World or Railways: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/kr-models-showcase-gt3-and-announce-a-fell-diesel

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

it might be better to bide your time and wait for details.

All very well and good, but the last I saw, the deadline for ordering is end of this month (although that now seems to have gone missing from the website). So there's not much time to bide for those of us still to make the decision.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, truffy said:

So there's not much time to bide for those of us still to make the decision.

Perhaps Andy Y or Phil Parker could give a one paragraph comment on whether it runs well so that we know before the deadline for ordering.  ( No pressure ;) )

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

You don't have any information but still state it is a non-running EP. Since there will be many who have now had a look at the model and talked to Keith, it might be better to bide your time and wait for details..................................

Thankyou,  but as yet no one has stated seeing it running so one might have assumed that it was a non-runner.  Andy stated on Saturday afternoon, quote "....

We should have opportunity to see it on a rolling road, and maybe hear it tomorrow." end quote,  but then commented on Sunday that there had not been an opportunity to view it running.  I would believe it to be important that if some one actually saw it running then it would be noted.  Odd that all the earlier comments did not mention seeing it run.  There was one post where a question was asked about whether the model was motorised and a comment made that there was no means of being able to run the loco and secondly another comment was that the manufacturer stated that he had two drives to test (test where at the show or in a test facility).  No one has stated seeing the loco run.  Thirdly the sound system is set up in a diesel railcar, not the loco further inferring that the loco possibly was not motorised.   I await a response that the loco was actually seen running.  I feel sure that if any BRM member saw it running they would comment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Went to the KR models stand today to congratulate them on having a model there and admitted they have proved me wrong. They admitted that the Dave Jones saga had helped cast a cloud over their business model but they have struggled through the issues to where we are today and I was happy to shake michaels hand and congratulate them on a good looking model. They also recognised where I came from in that although the model is not for me a proven track record will encourage me to order from them in the future. 

They did state the models do run but Warley had not provided power for their stand so they could not have a rolling road.

I will watch this model and future models with interest.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

With 40 working layouts in the hall I would have thought it possible to find one that would have let the GT3 be demonstrated.

True but if they haven't been able to test it properly themselves they may not want to try it on a layout and risk a potential failure with witnesses. I am not saying there is anything wrong with it just a possible scenario.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

You don't have any information but still state it is a non-running EP. Since there will be many who have now had a look at the model and talked to Keith, it might be better to bide your time and wait for details..................................

Thankyou for those that responded.  It would seem that it is a running model but apparently due a power supply issue to the stand the model could not be tested.  Thus it seems without further corroboration that no one saw it running.  If I was exhibiting the model and it was a running sample then upon finding that no power was available then I would have gone to the local parts store and purchased a 12 volt battery and jury rigged a power supply.   Given the overall cost of the project the price of a battery and controller is infinitesimal in getting the model functional for display.  I am sure that seeing the model run would have pushed many more over the line in placing orders.  The sound system was able to be tested on another stand so only analogue power would be needed to display the model and not digital.

I would certainly like to know that some one did actually see it run but to date no postings as such. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Thankyou for those that responded.  It would seem that it is a running model but apparently due a power supply issue to the stand the model could not be tested.  Thus it seems without further corroboration that no one saw it running.  If I was exhibiting the model and it was a running sample then upon finding that no power was available then I would have gone to the local parts store and purchased a 12 volt battery and jury rigged a power supply.   Given the overall cost of the project the price of a battery and controller is infinitesimal in getting the model functional for display.  I am sure that seeing the model run would have pushed many more over the line in placing orders.  The sound system was able to be tested on another stand so only analogue power would be needed to display the model and not digital.

I would certainly like to know that some one did actually see it run but to date no postings as such. 

But would you have made your first run in public view? Or would you have done so privately? Just imagine the impact of that annoying piece of swarf in the drive system. I think that KR were sensible not to demonstrate the model until they had the chance to run it themselves privately.

• Agree 4