KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, truffy said:

Umm, no, I don't think so. What they're doing is adding a charge to cover customs clearance.

Whenever I order any goods from outside Switzerland, the charge is made up of two factors: Swiss tax, which is variable; and an import duty, which is fixed. That import duty might be slightly higher for some couriers, but not by much. Even if it's just lousy old Swiss Post it's still a fair chunk of change. And import tax covers the whole cost of receiving the item, including shipping costs.

There are three components: Tax, Import Duty and a Handling Charge. The first two should be fixed irrespective of the courier and the distinction between all three components should be made clear. If it is not, ask for it to be broken down.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, Chris M said:

My experience of having stuff posted to me from the USA.

1.Yes you should be able to avoid paying local tax.

2. You don’t actually pay import  duty, just standard rate VAT.

3. You pay VAT on the price of the item

plus the cost of the postage. This always annoyed me because post charges in the UK are zero rated.

4. The who have already been paid a lot to deliver the item charge you for collecting the VAT from you. I’m sure this is only a few seconds work on the PC and we are being ripped off.

5. Items take much longer to get through UK customs than they do to travel all the way from a shop in California to the UK.

Re your item 3, this is a common misconception. Only the supply made by Royal Mail is exempt from VAT, that would normally be the supply to the retailer who posts the goods. Where retailers show p&p as a seperate amount, it is not a supply of exempt rated postage, it's VAT liability follows the goods that are being sent, if the goods are standard rated the supply of p&p charged is standard rated.

There has also been changes in the liability for VAT of some Royal Mail services, so that now most parcel charges, including tracked services are now standard rated.

Edited by rembrow
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, rorz101uk said:

I’m surprised that Keith hasn’t replied to these questions and speculation? So we know where we stand? Either way I still want my model tho!

He's probably just waking up. From memory, Alberta is 5 hours behind the UK. (CJL)

19 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

He's probably just waking up. From memory, Alberta is 5 hours behind the UK. (CJL)

Seven hours. If he's awake now he's up before sparrow's fart.

Toronto is 5 hours behind. Canada's timezones range from 3 1/2 hours behind (Newfoundland) to 8 hours behind (Vancouver).

Our daylight savings doesn't line up exactly, so there's usually a week or two of the year it's an hour less.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Les1952 said:

One of the American couriers, I can't remember which one.  Nothing refundable from a private seller in another country ("protected by the constitution" is the usual excuse from the US)

I have also noticed that eBay sales from private sellers outside the UK have started to get a customs charge added AFTER the purchase is made which isn't mentioned in the listing - probably because the seller doesn't know about it.  SOME auction listings now state 20% VAT will be added- not stating that it is also added to the postage.

Les

I'm wondering if this is the reason my eBay sales to the EU have dried up.....

Going somewhat OT but that has always been the case with auctions even within the EU.  Items submitted by a seller in one EU country and sold at auction in a second EU country have for years had VAT at the local rate in the country of sale added to the hammer price.  I'm not sure if the same applied to an item purchased in country B from an auction held in country A but VAT would now apply at the rate in country B.  

Similarly it has been the practice for far longer than I can remember that as far as auction sales are concerned VAT is charged on the auctioneer's commission and on any subsequent storage,  delivery. etc costs.   As far as Ebay is concerned they should have been paying VAT on whatever charges they raise on a private individual's  sale (but they might well have been getting round tax payments in the way that some other large concernms such as Amazon have in the past?).

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2021 at 09:15, Roy Langridge said:

I have stopped selling outside of the UK on ebay in the short-term. Even prior to 1st Jan my last sale to France had me filling in more paperwork which, to be quite honest, I just don't have the time for as I would rather spend that time modelling.

Roy

completely Agree,

I stopped selling international (beyond the EU) 2+ years ago.

Too much risk to the US, Russians were just dodgy, make offers 10% of the asking price and get mildy aggressive in their emails when you reject it.

Australia is by far the worst..

Someone I know sent two different models to Australia, both of which their local customs screwdrivered the bodies off completely destroying them.. I guess the DCC chip in a sleeve inside looked suspicious. No compensation as it was done by customs, out of pocket by a big number, one was a Bittern from the GG set.

never had any issues shipping in the EU, every transaction was very polite and successful.. I will miss that for sure, but I noticed a tail off in interest from mid -summer last year, now Ive just closed it to UK only.

I think the market for Euro model spares will get quite attractive in a niche way in the UK.. no ones buying a £7 pack of traction tyres from germany with £20 of political guff wrapped around it. I guess reverse will be true in Europe for UK models.

None of this is to do with the GT3, but at least its a change from reading beat em’ up posts about it... but that does beg a question...

if a GT3 lands in France faulty, how does VAT (both directions) and replacements work ? (In my decades of ebay ive never actually had an international /non-eu return, Oz aside.. those had to be abandoned)

Edited by adb968008

On 25/01/2021 at 22:35, Philou said:

WUT? That was a bit sudden and unexpected ..................!

I hope that I shan't have to pay additional VAT when it comes from the UK :(

Cheers,

Philip

I asked that question already bout the VAT to KR and no reply.

I do not fancy paying out another 21% plus fees possibly 70-80 notes. I would not be to bothered getting one as the price then becomes daft for something that will be going around in Circles.

Looking at the order there is no VAT Listed Separately, Just the GT3 price and Delivery so I fear for the worst now

George.

On 26/01/2021 at 09:18, Colin_McLeod said:

Indeed. When my GT3 arrives in Ireland I will have to pay the Irish VAT.  I have asked KR Models to deduct the UK VAT and to refund to me the VAT element of the payment I have already paid.

Did they come back Colin? I had no reply and I asked weeks ago.

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Land em in Belfast, then click and collect.

no border guards checking.

:D

I see a whole industry forming in that loophole.

More red tape for NI, Would give yo u a headache. Colin and me are about is far removed from the NI set up as possible

Plus It will cost me more in Diesel then VAT to drive up north not to mind it is slightly outside the 5k travel limit from Cork thanks to the Chinese flu.

• Friendly/supportive 1

To clear up some of the confusion that is surrounding the delivery.

If you live in the UK, have a UK address, and have paid for a model to be delivered to the UK, then you have paid UK VAT on the model. We have paid the UK VAT so that the model can be imported from China. Once its here, it shall be distributed in the UK.

As for other countries outside of the UK, we are not registered at the moment, and we are still working out the changing laws, rules, and guidelines.

If you have any further questions more tailored to your situation, feel free to email me at michael@krmodels.co.uk

-Mike

Edited by KR Models
Clarification
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, KR Models said:

To clear up some of the confusion that is surrounding the delivery.

If you live in the UK, have a UK address, and have paid for a model to be delivered to the UK, then you have paid UK VAT on the model. We have paid the UK VAT so that the model can be imported from China. Once its here, it shall be distributed in the UK.

As for other countries outside of the UK, we are not registered at the moment, and we are still working out the changing laws, rules, and guidelines.

If you have any further questions more tailored to your situation, feel free to email me at michael@krmodels.co.uk

-Mike

Hi Mike, i think everyone who is expecting the GT3 would like some idea as to when these models are due to arrive in the UK.

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

I asked that question already bout the VAT to KR and no reply.

I do not fancy paying out another 21% plus fees possibly 70-80 notes. I would not be to bothered getting one as the price then becomes daft for something that will be going around in Circles.

Looking at the order there is no VAT Listed Separately, Just the GT3 price and Delivery so I fear for the worst now

George.

Send your question to keith@krmodels.co.uk as we didn't receive any email from you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Hawkins said:

Hi Mike, i think everyone who is expecting the GT3 would like some idea as to when these models are due to arrive in the UK.

Hi Brian,

We can't answer that yet until UK Customs releases the container from the port.  

• Like 3

So .... it seems they're in the UK .. good news. However I do hope the question of VAT can be resolved soon as I have a vested interested in the outcome  (<------- location).

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

This is the correspondence that I had with KRM back on 25.11.2019:

If I set the country to UK, the total cost is £237.50 + £4.50 (shipping) + £47.50 (taxes). This represents tax at 20%, which I think is correct for UK VAT.

If I set the country to Switzerland, the total cost is £237.50 + £19.00 (shipping) + £18.29 (taxes). This represents tax at 7.7%, which is about right for Swiss MWST.

So, my question is whether KRM is paying the tax on my behalf (which would be wonderful), or not? I only have two days left to place an order, so your web guy’s view would be appreciated.

If it's there, then we must be, because the store takes out the tax for us.

On reflection, that's a bit worrying, since if it's sent from the UK, with Swiss tax already applied, the chances are that I will still have to pay tax as well as import duty on entry. That would make me quite sad.

25 minutes ago, truffy said:

This is the correspondence that I had with KRM back on 25.11.2019:

On reflection, that's a bit worrying, since if it's sent from the UK, with Swiss tax already applied, the chances are that I will still have to pay tax as well as import duty on entry. That would make me quite sad.

There should only be one amount of VAT due, the final destination. KR have paid it on importation into the UK and can reclaim it on export.

The international commodity code for model railways is zero, nobody should be paying duty on imports from China.

You should be billed Swiss VAT and a clearance fee from the courier before delivery.

Edited by maico
  • Agree 1