Rapido announce Metro Cammell Weymann Fleetline Bus

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Bump

Argh! I feel an expensive moment coming on. Not to mention a couple to convert to the VR version.

Still, it saves me building the resin kits in the stockpile. Off to eBay with them.

Edited by ian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looked splendid sitting in the middle of Hall 5

Some confusion in the Warley Guide as it says it is a Fleetline from 1976, number 3611.

There was a Fleetline number 3611 but that was a BCT example from some 10 years earlier! The one Rapido are doing was a 100% WMPTE bus, number 6311

Unfortunately out of my time period.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Looked splendid sitting in the middle of Hall 5

Some confusion in the Warley Guide as it says it is a Fleetline from 1976, number 3611.

There was a Fleetline number 3611 but that was a BCT example from some 10 years earlier! The one Rapido are doing was a 100% WMPTE bus, number 6311

Unfortunately out of my time period.

Keith

http://www.wythall.org.uk/vehicles/vkon311p.asp

• Like 1

Dear Rapido please make a Glasgow tram to this standard.

I was recently at a vintage bus gala (please don't judge me, in my defence I was manning a sales stand for a preserved train) Looking around the other traders there were hundreds of model buses of different types and colours yet hardly any model trams. There is a huge gap in the market.

Dear Rapido please make a Glasgow tram to this standard.

I was recently at a vintage bus gala (please don't judge me, in my defence I was manning a sales stand for a preserved train) Looking around the other traders there were hundreds of model buses of different types and colours yet hardly any model trams. There is a huge gap in the market.

Trams are an interesting idea - you get a prototype that actually requires sharp turns so our space restrictions aren't an issue, and there is lots of room for making buildings if that part of the hobby appeals to you.

But, and it is a big but, the operational opportunities are none.  Even if your idea of the ideal model railway is just having trains go around in circles you have a choice in trains to run - different engines, different rolling stock - which isn't part of the tram scene.  As for the common shunting layout...

So the question then becomes is there a market big enough to buy trams as collector items to sit on a shelf and my suspicion is no.

Of course, the obvious solution is to make Jason get obsessed with trams.

Edited by mdvle

Trams are an interesting idea - you get a prototype that actually requires sharp turns so our space restrictions aren't an issue, and there is lots of room for making buildings if that part of the hobby appeals to you.

But, and it is a big but, the operational opportunities are none.  Even if your idea of the ideal model railway is just having trains go around in circles you have a choice in trains to run - different engines, different rolling stock - which isn't part of the tram scene.  As for the common shunting layout...

So the question then becomes is there a market big enough to buy trams as collector items to sit on a shelf and my suspicion is no.

Of course, the obvious solution is to make Jason get obsessed with trams.

Eh?

There's a massive market in trams. There has even been at least two fortnightly partwork magazines with trams on the cover.

Jason (not that one)

Eh

There's a massive market in trams. There has even been at least two fortnightly partwork magazines with trams on the cover.

Where then are all the models in this massive model tram market then?  Certainly haven't seen any discussed here on RMweb, haven't seen any model tram layouts discussed.

I spent a while sat in the bus chatting with (the other) Gareth and Jason this afternoon.

I have to say I felt a bit seasick after half an hour of people jumping on and off though!

yeah and did you feel very crammed in too?   I did and I not some big fat yanky tourist.  those seats were tiny and your knees were right up against the seat in front...…..oh and smell that faux 70s vinyl on the seats...….great vantage point though on the top deck.

Where then are all the models in this massive model tram market then?  Certainly haven't seen any discussed here on RMweb, haven't seen any model tram layouts discussed.

Yeah.... never see any ever  :no:

Veteran of BRM, Warners Peterborough and Doncaster shows amongst many others....http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/172-the-grime-street-blog/

or just the highlights....

Its replacement is in build....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122452-sheffield-grimeside/

Edited by Red Devil
  • Like 5

Absolutely fab news and the one bus I have really craved.

I am pretty sure Jason and Rapido are clued up enough to do the Bristol VR using the same basic bodyshell, as well as the subtle differences with indicators and lights between the earlier and later West Mids fleetlines.  I am not totally on numbers but I think the 4xxx series had indicators above the windows whereas the 6xxx series were located down on the front panel. Minor details which collectors would invest in.

Thanks very much Jason and team 

• Like 1

It's a model railway forum though isn't it? You probably don't get many tramway enthusiasts here as they are probably elsewhere.

But haven't you noticed the Trams and Tramway section of the forum?  :blind:

It's one of the most popular out of the Special Interest sub forums.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/142-trams-tramway-modelling/

Jason

It's a model railway forum though isn't it? You probably don't get many tramway enthusiasts here as they are probably elsewhere.

But haven't you noticed the Trams and Tramway section of the forum?  :blind:

No I haven't, but thank you for proving my point.

24 posts in 2 topics over the last month doesn't sound to me like a wise place to invest a 5 figure sum in tooling for a model.

Absolutely fab news and the one bus I have really craved.

I am pretty sure Jason and Rapido are clued up enough to do the Bristol VR using the same basic bodyshell, as well as the subtle differences with indicators and lights between the earlier and later West Mids fleetlines.  I am not totally on numbers but I think the 4xxx series had indicators above the windows whereas the 6xxx series were located down on the front panel. Minor details which collectors would invest in.

Thanks very much Jason and team 

Our pleasure!

It was fun having the Fleetline in the hall, and it was a convenient place for us to have meetings. 

The designs are not finished yet, but we will be doing several fronts - early indicators, later indicators, and later indicators with no vents. We also intend to do other buses using the chassis and interior of the Fleetline but with new bodies. 

It will be a while before these come out. The buses don't actually make us much money - I am doing them because I love them. So we squeeze them in between other production runs. We want to get the Guys out before we properly announce the Fleetlines with all details and samples. 

-Jason

• Like 6

24 posts in 2 topics over the last month doesn't sound to me like a wise place to invest a 5 figure sum in tooling for a model.

As per other posts, there are active tram modelling places around, just not here, to suggest that there isn't is wrong. However is there enough interest to do an RTR model etc? I quite literally have no idea but probably not, I think that ship sailed with the non appearance of the proposed Bachmann trams some years back. However never say never as more and more obscure stuff gets produced it is still possible. 

I hope the Fleetline proves successful for Rapido, I'll probably end up with one even though it's of little use to me for my modelling, but I like carving stuff up so it'll probably end up 'Fallerised with r/c for speed, I think we need to wean them off this strange Midlands stuff and do something more universal though  :sungum: I like the sound of different bodies to utilise the parts though....

I'll look forward to a decent PD2/GVG6 with say an Orion body to hack into something decent that moves.... (very subtle hint there!)

Proving your point? What point?

That you are being argumentative or trolling?  :rolleyes:

I don't think I have even advocated making tram models. They have zero interest to me. I doubt very many on this forum are particularly interested in buses either. Or motorbikes, cars, tanks, lorries, . etc. 

The Road Vehicle section of the forum only has three more pages than the tram section. People won't buy buses then....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/164-road-vehicles/

But you stated their isn't a market for mass produced tram models. Really? Just off the top of my head.

Corgi make them.

Oxford Diecast make them.

Kato make them.

Bachmann make them.

Tomytec make them.

There have been at least two partworks available in the shops with them on the cover by Atlas and DeAgostini. I bought the first one of each because they were cheap.

PS. Sorry for ruining the thread.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Our pleasure!

It was fun having the Fleetline in the hall, and it was a convenient place for us to have meetings. 

The designs are not finished yet, but we will be doing several fronts - early indicators, later indicators, and later indicators with no vents. We also intend to do other buses using the chassis and interior of the Fleetline but with new bodies. 

It will be a while before these come out. The buses don't actually make us much money - I am doing them because I love them. So we squeeze them in between other production runs. We want to get the Guys out before we properly announce the Fleetlines with all details and samples. 

-Jason

Absolutely fine Jason.  Just take your time coz I am a patient guy.

We also intend to do other buses using the chassis and interior of the Fleetline but with new bodies.

Please be an East Lancs body like 6757!

But seriously, I'll be getting two just for nostalgia! They were being rapidly phased out of Coventry when I was a kid, but I still have very vivid memories of catching them to town! Far better experience than the Metro's that replaced them, although being a kid I didn't have the lack of room issues that others have stated  ;)

Proving your point? What point?

That you are being argumentative or trolling?  :rolleyes:

I don't think I have even advocated making tram models. They have zero interest to me. I doubt very many on this forum are particularly interested in buses either. Or motorbikes, cars, tanks, lorries, . etc. 

The post that started this was a request / wish for Rapido to make a Glasgow tram, and I pointed out it was unlikely to be a market for it given the price that it would need to be sold at combined with how small the potential tram market is.

I am grateful that you pointed out there is a tram section hidden away on here, but I merely pointed out that it basically proved my point that there isn't much interest.

Since that post Jason has stated that the bus models don't make much money, which likely indicates it would be next to impossible for a tram model unless someone at Rapido really wants to make a model.