Did I go to far!

D08

Was a nice shiny engine.

I love the way you have got the EWS Maroon faded.

That takes some work. I've been trying foe ages to get faded red on a Hornby Sentinel that worked for ESSO on Trafford Park.

Chris.

Thanks Chris, it was a white pigment in the revell kit which I put on dry and kept rubbbing in with cotton bud.

It could be better, but it's my first attempt, I just couldn't live with a shiny shutter. Tim.

• Like 1

Not that this is at all relevant, but back in the day (BR blue) certain 08s were way over the top as far as weathering was concerned. 

How many people would dare try to replicate this on a model? 

08901 at Bescot on 30th June 1983. 

post-4474-0-94197200-1542894815_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Not that this is at all relevant, but back in the day (BR blue) certain 08s were way over the top as far as weathering was concerned. 

How many people would dare try to replicate this on a model? 

08901 at Bescot on 30th June 1983. 

attachicon.gif100691 08901 20150 BS 30:1:83.jpg

That is one of the 4 08's that were Bescot based and fitted with rubber skirts to prevent water ingress from frequent trips though the washer at Oxley.

Edited by 08221

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

For paint fading, I found a vid on Youtube ages ago (sorry. can't find it again!) that showed how to use Gouache to fade stock. A very thin dilution of white gouache using Mircosol  (seems to make the wash flow way better than using plain water) is simply brushed over the model. If the effect is too heavy, it is very easy to take off using neat microsol on a brush. You could probably use a homebrew thinners of water with some flow improver instead of microsol, but I've not tried that out.

I particularly like the simulation of flaked-off paint on the connecting rods off the OP's 08. Paint flaking is hard to get right, especially when the person doing the weathering didn't do the original painting.

For more weathering, I would consider oil washes to indicate dirt building up in the crevices rather than more powder to put grime in the middle of panels. Also fading of the paint, like the full-size 08 pictured above. This is particularly important for 08s that get to pass through carriage washers, as the washers sometimes clean the smooth surfaces and fail to get into the crevices. But perhaps an EWS shunter never goes through a washer.

• 1 month later...