Design Your Own BLT

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

Mention of M7s with pushpull trains at simple halt terminus makes me think of Turnchapel in Plymouth. You could also sneak in O2s, D1s even, as well as being a good place for the B4 on goods traffic. I wanted to put in a link with pictures, you find some good ones, but on eBay, and they’re here today and gone tomorrow for a link.

Could do the approach of only modelling part of a station - if it had lasted long enough, the Alton platform at Basingstoke would have seen push-pulls, for example. And it was near to the goods facility. Likewise the down bay at Woking. Or the Midhusrt platform at Petersfield, which I think was the other side of the crossing to the main station.

I wanted to suggest Fawley, but that was a proper station...

There was a brilliant 0 scale LSWR layout called St George's Hill on the circuit c20 years ago, based on that very approach.

The guy who owned it lived in a small flat, and when at home the boards folded to form a box, which was stood on end, and very effectively disguised as a grandfather clock!

EDIT: here it is, although it looks as if it has been expanded since I knew it ........ look carefully a the far end, and you will see that the front face is actually the main-line platform face. http://www.uckfieldmrc.co.uk/exhib03/stgeorges.html

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Eeek!, I never knew that Turnchapel site existed, honest, guv! Shows what a sheltered existence I lead. St. George’s Hill was sold on a few years ago, and the new owner might have chopped it round a bit.

Looking at using odd corner situation of bigger stations, Mikkels bay bit on his Farthing layout is a good one.

Edited by Northroader
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, retiredoperator said:

Hi Phill.  Thank you also. In the reply from Nearholmer when he mentioned Beluncle Halt , that is what put the idea into my head. I believe that they call it “ Modellers Licence “ ? And the Inglenook could act as the sidings. The YouTube series on branchlines in Kent is quite interesting. As for a “ Run Round Loop “ , that would be superfluous with my 

Push Pull Set.   Happy modelling Kev 

Hi RO,

The thing is, Beluncle Halt is a through station, as were most halts, so is it right to use it as a template for a terminus?

As others have said above, a halt terminus is a very rare beast but there were a lot of simple backwater termini that were only slightly more developed. Often these termini were built before push-pull technology existed and so run round loops were very common features.

(Termini, Terminii, Terminuses...)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

Hi Phil.  Of course you are correct in everything that you have said, a halt can never be a terminal station. Maybe I should have said “ small Station “ ? And who knows given time and a bit of luck, I would hope that my two planks/ modules can grow into a branch, that being the Inglenook and the 

fiddleyard , and a third part with the terminus proper, and go around a Curve with a certain amount of imagination? Who knows.  Happy modelling Kev 

• Friendly/supportive 1

RetiredOperator Sir,

You say: "....a halt can never be a terminal station....".

If you have a look at the "Halts as Termini" thread that I linked to earlier, you will discover that statement to be somewhat wide of the mark.

Halts could be, and in several cases were, terminal stations.

Kevin

• Agree 1

With push pull trains a halt could easily be a terminus. Especially if you invoke some kind of disruption to the normal service, so that the halt is a temporary terminus whilst further along the line a bridge is being rebuilt or something. You seldom see that kind of thing modelled, but it can make for interesting operations as a track layout is forced to be used for something that it wasn't really intended for. Though that's more applicable to something larger than a halt. Point being it doesn't require anything too unbelievable to be imagined to use a halt as a terminus.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

There’s a whole thread about Turnchapel, with phenomenal amounts of detail provided by Dave of Hooe.

Dave has gone quiet recently; probably covered it all with his postings.  Good stuff, especially if you know the area!

Brian.

4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Hi Nearholmer and Phil. When I said “ a bit crowded “, that is because it was an afterthought. If you remember I only added the branch so that I can run my “Hornby Push Pull Set “ . When I returned to model Railways after a long while I had so many ideas, but no room, where the plank/module idea gave me an opportunity to build something and “Stow it” when not required.   Happy modelling Kev 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Modellers.  Another question arose in connection with Shunting Puzzles, my 0-6-0 Locos Run through the points without a problem, but I have an M7 and an Adams 02 , obviously not for Shunting, but they have to negotiate points, that I am having problems with, all Peco code 75 large radius Electrofrog points, whether or not it is in the case of the 02 The drivng wheels need adjusting, or the bogie wheels I don’t know in both cases.  Or “ Horror of Horrors “could it simply be a case of “ Dirty Tracks “? I have already purchased a Digitrains Track Cleaner, but none of my 0-6-0’s can shift it without what seems to be a struggle?and I don’t want to go down the “ Double Headed or whatever route “ . Buying  a larger Diesel was not on my agenda, and the idea of it just to tow or propel a track cleaner would be “over the top “ , then again if I could buy a suitable Loco capable of handling the track cleaner that is suitable for BR ( S ) at the time when Diesel was taking over from Steam I would consider it.

Happy Modelling. Kev 

Hi mdvle. Thank you too. I got it wrong? The  Adams 02 wasn’t involved, but the Hornby LSWR M7 was along with some others.  Yes the straight track doesn’t pose a problem. What I cannot make out is all the points , on this plank are

Peco large radius Electrofrog points where later in the day I ran the M7 on another plank with Peco short radius Electrofrog points, and apart from the odd Hornby stutter ( oxidation on track? ) it ran fairly well. Happy Modelling  Kev 

Hi Phil. That is probably down to me? I am here for guidance, not knowing which “ Road to take “. As previously stated, I have been following advice on YouTube, and more than likely took the wrong route. I had been out of Model Railways for so long, I really need a pilot man ( as per single line working) or even a token. Please advise me. Happy Modelling Kev 

Kevin

if you start your own thread, with a title that makes clear that you are a ‘returner’ looking for advice, you will be provided whith as much, probably more, advice as a man might ever need.

as Harlequin says, this thread did, once, a long time ago, have a fairly narrow purpose, although that seems to have got a bit swamped ....... when I get time, I might move it on to discussion of two-platform termini.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

Hi Kevin. Thank you for being so polite. Before I think about my own thread , I have been on YouTube again, and looking through photos also online.

I found a photo of Westerham in Steam day’s with a small yard, a platform and runround ? But I couldn’t see a turntable, does anyone have any more information about a turntable?  But it could be a good model to begin with.

Happy  Modelling Kev. PS a long time ago, when I did something wrong my Mother would call me Kevin, I hope that I haven’t done anything wrong now.

Edited by retiredoperator
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kev,

Don't worry, you haven't done anything wrong. Threads often do wander off topic and when that happens it's sometimes a good idea to start a new thread somewhere else.

Edited by Harlequin

Hi Northroader. I have taken your advice. That is an excellent layout. I don’t know if you have seen the series of YouTube videos on former branchlines in

Kent , including Westerham, the Hawkhurst Branch etc etc. Really worth a viewing unfortunately long gone now . Happy Modelling Kev 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Phil.  When I said about being crowded and doing something wrong I meant that Nearholmer was using my full name. But now I have gone and something wrong, I have got my wiring in a muddle, causing a polarity problem. My idea of 

“ Designing a BLT has got derailed “. I will have to hang up my keys while I scratch my head, and think about it  Happy Modelling. Kev 

• Friendly/supportive 1