Bachmann stand at Warley Show

Andy Y

Bachmann Europe set to host TV show winners at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition

1..JPG

As proud sponsors of The Warley National Model Railway Exhibition and supporters of Channel 5’s prime-time television show ‘The Great Model Railway Challenge’, Bachmann Europe Plc are thrilled to announce that visitors to the 2018 Warley Show will be able to meet the winning team and their layout from series one for themselves.

After being crowned as champions, the team from Aberdeen Model Railway Club will be making the journey south to the NEC, Birmingham, with their winning layout ‘City of Tiers’ to take centre stage on the Bachmann stand at The Warley Show over the weekend of the 24th & 25th November 2018.

Visitors to the Bachmann stand can also get hands-on and see how easy it is to make realistic miniature grass and landscapes using the fantastic new static grass ‘Field System’ from the world leaders in model scenery products – Woodland Scenics – with expert model-maker Peter Marriott encouraging visitors of all abilities to give-it-a-go with interactive demonstrations.

In addition, we will be joined by the team from Proses, all the way from Turkey, who will be showcasing their innovative range of modelling tools and accessories designed to make layout construction and maintenance easy – ideal for the beginner and experienced modeller alike.

Alongside our trio of special guests, the Bachmann stand will again play host to the Members Lounge – a dedicated space for members of the Bachmann Collectors Club to get up close to the latest developments from Bachmann Europe and talk to members of the team about new and forthcoming developments.

‘City of Tiers’ will be one of three layouts from ‘The Great Model Railway Challenge’ on display at The Warley Show which, now in its 26th year at the NEC, will bring together more than 90 of the best model railways from across the UK and Continental Europe to showcase the hobby at its finest.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I would really have like to see the GMRC winning layout, its so so different, but having damage my left foot I will not be able to go.

Thanks tor your support and straying slightly O/T, but it might make you smile - I was rushing downstairs to get to the loo and slipped 4 steps from the bottom! Bang, ouch, then a trip to A&E.

Thanks tor your support and straying slightly O/T, but it might make you smile - I was rushing downstairs to get to the loo and slipped 4 steps from the bottom! Bang, ouch, then a trip to A&E.

Ouch! You have my sympathy - I am notoriously clumsy and found to my dismay that my reactions had slowed once I entered my fifties. Which meant I suffered a series of nasty falls, as I was no longer fast enough to catch myself after doing something recklessly stupid involving "hard objects" and "not paying attention to my surroundings".

I finally learned to slow down a little after a damaged knee, two broken arms (one each side to match) and a fractured skull........

Edited by apollanaut

• RMweb Gold

In the immortal (computer generated) words of GW Railway, "When on the stairs, use the handrail and take care". 

They started using it shortly after I, not concentrating on the job in hand, misjudged the bottom one at Exeter Central and went A-over-T, though I doubt I was the inspiration.

Fortunately, despite my advancing years, the only injury was to my pride. You have my sympathy, as it could so easily have gone the other way.

John

Back On/T, I hope everyone enjoys the show, I'm giving it a miss this year but plan to do the whole weekend in 2019.

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

At the risk of my membership, if I were a moderator I'd spank Andy Y's btm and move the Farish items to the appropiate part of RMweb...  :jester:

I'm constantly surprised when N modelers miss stuff because the simply don't look at the OO section of a manufacturers topic.

Regards, honest, Gerry.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy for posting. The Mk2s look magnificent and I have no interest in the 8F, so why am I drooling looking at it. Superb.

I dont do n gauge myself, but i spent quite a while looking at it, its a very nice model with a lot of detail and parts for its size.

N modellers i think will be well happy with it., it looked pretty impressive in the cabinet yesterday, wouldnt mind a oo one like that.

Edited by adb968008

Sadly there seemed to be very little that was new to see on the 'general public' side of the Bachmann stand this year.  As such, the likes of Accurascale, Hatton's, Revolution and Rapido continue to be far more successful in capturing both my attention, excitement and pre-order deposits as 2018 draws to a close.  I understand Bachmann's policy of promoting new items to the 'members only' fraternity (as has been discussed before at length), however I still can't help but feel that it leaves the rest of us with very little to get excited about when it comes to viewing the exhibition stand.

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1

Hi,

At the risk of my membership, if I were a moderator I'd spank Andy Y's btm and move the Farish items to the appropiate part of RMweb...  :jester:

I'm constantly surprised when N modelers miss stuff because the simply don't look at the OO section of a manufacturers topic.

Regards, honest, Gerry.

especially after the caning I got for not putting "N gauge" on a thread last summer about new Class 86s inadvertently leading some to assume it was 00...…

• RMweb Gold

Sadly there seemed to be very little that was new to see on the 'general public' side of the Bachmann stand this year.  As such, the likes of Accurascale, Hatton's, Revolution and Rapido continue to be far more successful in capturing both my attention, excitement and pre-order deposits as 2018 draws to a close.  I understand Bachmann's policy of promoting new items to the 'members only' fraternity (as has been discussed before at length), however I still can't help but feel that it leaves the rest of us with very little to get excited about when it comes to viewing the exhibition stand

I'm not sure we missed anything genuinely new - certainly in 4mm scale. I'm sure most of the samples have been on public display (and photographed and  shown on this website) before - certainly I saw both the Class 25 and the crane at Kidderminster station recently  (either the autumn steam gala or the Class 50 gala, maybe both?). I am actually a  club member but I couldn't find my card before leaving home  and in the end couldn't be bothered to ask for entry!

I'm not sure we missed anything genuinely new - certainly in 4mm scale. I'm sure most of the samples have been on public display (and photographed and  shown on this website)

Ummm, in a way that's precisely my point - sure, we've all seen the various photos online but isn't the point of Warley (and exhibitions akin to it) to help persuade folk to actually get out of their armchairs and physically make the effort to go to the exhibitions and support the hobby/trade?  I just think that if every manufacturer adopted a similar policy then (from a trade standpoint at least), there would be little incentive to actually go to the exhibitions at all.  Of course, online photographs are invaluable, however viewing models 'in the flesh' is far more likely to result in me hitting that pre-order button than any online photo can ever hope to achieve.  By the time the samples of the Class 25 and Class 158 are considered fit for viewing by the mere general customer base then they'll be 'old news', and for me at least my interest may well have waned and I'll have most likely spent my hard-earned dosh elsewhere.  All I know is that at Warley this year I spent a great deal of time on the Hatton's, Accurascale and Revolution stands, whereas I must have spent no more than a fleeting 3 or 4 minutes at the Bachmann stand before concluding, "Ummm, nothing to see here..."

I'm sure not everyone will share my viewpoint, but the Bachmann strategy at present successfully pushes myself as a customer further and further away from what they are doing, and perhaps more importantly further away from even being interested in what they might be doing.  And I would have thought that this would be the exact opposite of what any manufacturer would wish to achieve.  Just my personal viewpoint of course.

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Gold

I think Bachmann have tried their best to put a positive spin on not having a big announcement or much new to show off at Warley, and while I have been fairly strident and consistent in my comments about the continued delay to the 94xx, to be fair they've had problems, come clean about them, and I wasn't expecting much this year.  You didn't expect an overtly negative spin, did you?  Frothing is fun, but it won't help the situation.  I can see that any manufacturer has a problem striking the correct balance between informing his customers of events and playing his cards close to his chest, and that if they are getting this about right there will still be moans from the likes of me; perhaps the situation will be clearer in 2019.

• RMweb Gold

Ummm, in a way that's precisely my point - sure, we've all seen the various photos online but isn't the point of Warley (and exhibitions akin to it) to help persuade folk to actually get out of their armchairs and physically make the effort to go to the exhibitions and support the hobby/trade?  I just think that if every manufacturer adopted a similar policy then (from a trade standpoint at least), there would be little incentive to actually go to the exhibitions at all.  Of course, online photographs are invaluable, however viewing models 'in the flesh' is far more likely to result in me hitting that pre-order button than any online photo can ever hope to achieve.  By the time the samples of the Class 25 and Class 158 are considered fit for viewing by the mere general customer base then they'll be 'old news', and for me at least my interest may well have waned and I'll have most likely spent my hard-earned dosh elsewhere.  All I know is that at Warley this year I spent a great deal of time on the Hatton's, Accurascale and Revolution stands, whereas I must have spent no more than a fleeting 3 or 4 minutes at the Bachmann stand before concluding, "Ummm, nothing to see here..."

I'm sure not everyone will share my viewpoint, but the Bachmann strategy at present successfully pushes myself as a customer further and further away from what they are doing, and perhaps more importantly further away from even being interested in what they might be doing.  And I would have thought that this would be the exact opposite of what any manufacturer would wish to achieve.  Just my personal viewpoint of course.

Yes I pretty much agree with all of this. I would also add their apparent inability to deliver items in the current ‘catalogue’ - even reliveries and ever increasing prices. And before anyone jumps on that last comment just compare Bachmann’s RRP with the newly promised Deltic....

I'm not sure we missed anything genuinely new - certainly in 4mm scale. I'm sure most of the samples have been on public display (and photographed and  shown on this website) before - certainly I saw both the Class 25 and the crane at Kidderminster station recently  (either the autumn steam gala or the Class 50 gala, maybe both?). I am actually a  club member but I couldn't find my card before leaving home  and in the end couldn't be bothered to ask for entry!

Due to other commitments throughout the year, I make Warley my 'must attend' show.  I'm no armchair enthusiast either, my annual spend on this hobby in money and time attests to that, it's just that I don't get enough return for attending shows further afield when I have other competing calls on my time (elderly relatives, offspring making their way in life, live music etc).  So whilst those more committed, with more time or closer attention may have seen it all before, I wager I'm in the majority for whom these new models in development are actually new in the flesh, and that will be pretty much true of the casual once-a-year show-goers through the turnstiles.

By the time the samples of the Class 25 and Class 158 are considered fit for viewing by the mere general customer base then they'll be 'old news', and for me at least my interest may well have waned and I'll have most likely spent my hard-earned dosh elsewhere.  All I know is that at Warley this year I spent a great deal of time on the Hatton's, Accurascale and Revolution stands, whereas I must have spent no more than a fleeting 3 or 4 minutes at the Bachmann stand before concluding, "Ummm, nothing to see here..."

I think this is symptomatic of us 'never having had it so good,' we are suffering from the fatigue of a surfeit of new models and our threshold has risen accordingly.  This has also resulted in an even shorter attention span, meaning the big players like Bachmann and Hornby who produce models across the board (locos, coaches, wagons, units, road vehicles, RTP buildings, scenic devices, controllers etc etc) are bound to appear somewhat 'safe' compared to the single-issue parties showing off a bauble and a unicorn.

If a modeller is looking forward to a high spec Class 158, 117 or Class 24 with headcode box, Freightliner flats or Tartan Arrow CCT, to name but a handful of excellent new and forthcoming Bachmann releases, do you expect them to take the approach that I can do without these now, because 'Ooooh look, there's a puppy on the XYZ stand.'  The role played in the long game by these substantial organisations tends to be overlooked or derided to an extent; be careful what you wish for...

I think Bachmann have tried their best to put a positive spin on not having a big announcement or much new to show off at Warley, and while I have been fairly strident and consistent in my comments about the continued delay to the 94xx, to be fair they've had problems, come clean about them, and I wasn't expecting much this year.  You didn't expect an overtly negative spin, did you?  Frothing is fun, but it won't help the situation.  I can see that any manufacturer has a problem striking the correct balance between informing his customers of events and playing his cards close to his chest, and that if they are getting this about right there will still be moans from the likes of me; perhaps the situation will be clearer in 2019.

Some good points here. I had a good look at the new and developing products on the stand and will be delighted to reap the benefits of their various gestation periods.  Do people seriously have sufficient disposable income to buy 40 new products that are announced together and hit the shelves simultaneously?  Very few, and those serious about the hobby in their own terms, and the health of the RTR sector in broader terms, will no doubt reflect positively on the steady progress on this and other stands from the big players, planning 2019's purchases and beyond, accordingly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Et tu,Brute ?..my retail nose went to Accurascale ,the show event winners by many a mile,Hattons who welcomed,demo’d ,talked and did q&a,Kernow ( again) and making their show debut,Trains 4U with stock of Revolution Trains and Gareth’s gorgeous little Cavalex wagons.A cut above your average show stand this latter.

Hornby still a pale shadow,though I did manage a techie conversation with SK over IETcouplings.Tells me the next batch will have revised system incorporating method of coping with baseboard joins /height differences.

Dennis Lovett was buzzing about everywhere and will relish his new role.A supreme realist as ever. ...PR extraordinaire. He will make a difference up North but strictly from his MK armchair as he’s done too much driving he says.

Sandra was back on Rails stand which is good. Brian Greenwood was finally lured to Warley ,Good to see for quick catch up...he too busy with Rails and networking

My sense is that this years show was all about......wagons: Accurascale,Revolution Trains,Bachmann Freightliner,Hattons Oxford hoppers,RHTT,Beilhack ploughs etc and T4 U Cavalex.

But for the tour de force,what upstaged everything and everybody was of course.....the “Irish” Deltic.

• Like 4