2-10-0 overhaul?!

rab

Hmm, bit of a mixture there and on the adjoining road. There's obviously three axles from an LNER Pacific, the green one on the right being a crank axle.

The other five drivers could be from a 9F, although there does appear from the photo to be two sets of flange less wheels, the boiler not being related. The set of smaller wheels are from a trailing truck or tender due to the outside bearings.

Edit, maybe I've stuck my neck out too far in assuming the larger wheels are from an LNER Pacific, going purely by the colour. I don't know which one it would be, unless possibly from Blue Peter?

Edited by great central

The boiler looks like a Bulleid one to me.

Green wheels. Where are Blue Peter's?

I'll also add I doubt the other wheels are off a 9F. Seem too large to me and the wheels on the left have the wrong type of balance weights.

Worth bearing in mind there is a wheel tyre press at the SDR so the flangeless ones are probably in for new tyres.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Front driving wheelset has eccentrics on the axle, so not from a 9F or WD, which were both outside cylinders with walschaerts VG. Thinking ex GW loco for that wheelset at least. As mentioned above, looks like at least 2 sets of wheels from different locos, with an unrelated boiler in the picture.

Edited by PhilMortimer

I know what this is, it will be the wheelsets for a new build project based on a modern version of Webb's 3 cylinder compound 'Experiment' class. The larger wheels will be for the low pressure inside cylinder and the smaller ones for the two high pressure outside cylinders. I believe the designers have overcome the problems the Webb locos had with the slip eccentrics for the inside cylinder by having two independent sets of valve gear controlled by their own steam reverser from one common lever in the cab! From what I recall this will follow Webb practice of naming classes by being called 'Unbelievable'

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Edit, maybe I've stuck my neck out too far in assuming the larger wheels are from an LNER Pacific, going purely by the colour. I don't know which one it would be, unless possibly from Blue Peter?

If all the green wheels belong together, it's a three cylinder engine with divided drive (note the large crankpins on the far left set), at least six coupled wheels and is that a single eccentric for inside Walschaert's gear on the crank axle? They aren't BFB wheels so it isn't a Bulleid Pacific. Not a lot it could be.

If the green wheels are all from the same machine then it's a three cylinder job with divided drive (crank pins on the wheels not on the crank axle) and derived valve gear (no eccentrics on the axles). Hmm. New build B17? (no don't be silly!).

If the green wheels are all from the same machine then it's a three cylinder job with divided drive (crank pins on the wheels not on the crank axle) and derived valve gear (no eccentrics on the axles). Hmm. New build B17? (no don't be silly!).

They also have shallow 'bevelled' rims, which were LNER post-Gresley practice. There appear to be dressing marks on the inside of the tyres between alternate spokes. LNER practice was to fit securing rivets in these positions. I'd say the A2's set, being re-tyred.

The Nim.

There are two new B17s.

The one that is likely to succeed is at Llangollen with virtually a completed chassis. But I don't think they've made the wheels yet.

http://www.b17steamloco.com/news-and-events/construction-progress

The other scheme looks a bit "pie in the sky" IMHO. I wish them well, but it's a terrible name though.  :bad:

http://www.engine61662appeal.co.uk/project.html

Jason

• RMweb Premium

No, there does appear to be a single eccentric on the crank axle.

There are two new B17s.

The one that is likely to succeed is at Llangollen with virtually a completed chassis. But I don't think they've made the wheels yet.

The other scheme looks a bit "pie in the sky" IMHO. I wish them well, but it's a terrible name though. :bad:

Jason

Splitters!

C6T.

They also have shallow 'bevelled' rims, which were LNER post-Gresley practice. There appear to be dressing marks on the inside of the tyres between alternate spokes. LNER practice was to fit securing rivets in these positions. I'd say the A2's set, being re-tyred.

The Nim.

Seems spot on to me. The Peppercorn A2s certainly had divided drive. My facetious suggestion of a new-build "Sandy" was no more than wishful thinking. Unfortunately!

Chaz

There are two new B17s.

The other scheme looks a bit "pie in the sky" IMHO. I wish them well, but it's a terrible name though.  :bad:

Jason

Crikey! I wasn't aware of these schemes. One of my favourite locos when I was very small and used to be taken to Liverpool Street station with Dad on Saturday mornings.

Chaz

Doesn't the SDR have equipment for either tyre turning or tyre fitting?  That'd explain the random wheelsets.

926s wheelsets are away somewhere for turning, perhaps those are the green ones - not knowing much about ashtrays that is only supposition.

Edited by Boris

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The boiler looks like a Bulleid one to me.

Green wheels. Where are Blue Peter's?

Jason

Blue Peter? I still own £5 worth of shares from the 60’s (I would guess it was) from when there was an appeal on the TV show Blue Peter.......they sent me a certificate as well........although that’s gone long ago I guess, I wonder how much my £5 is worth now? ;)

Doesn't the SDR have equipment for either tyre turning or tyre fitting?  That'd explain the random wheelsets.

There should be a full set of class 40 wheels there soon, they are getting quite a good reputation now for wheel set work