Where's Dave?

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Is Dave Jones okay? He seems to have not posted anything here for the best part of a month in any thread.

I know he has a sensible policy of only posting updates when there is something to tell but this long period of silence is unusual.

Is Dave Jones okay? He seems to have not posted anything here for the best part of a month in any thread.

I know he has a sensible policy of only posting updates when there is something to tell but this long period of silence is unusual.

He is as of 2 days ago posting updates to his website, scroll down from the top and you will see his announcement that he will be at Warley.

• Like 1

I suspect DJ Models has had a change of policy, and has fallen in line with other model railway companies by not interacting so much on forums such as RMweb. Wouldn't want to debate whether that is good, bad or indifferent.    

He was at Warley today, extolling the virtues of small, coreless motors and gear-connected driving wheels in 00 steam locos. 30,000 sold and all positive feedback.

Non-running 14xx available at £40 each, other returns also available on his stand. Class 71s at £60.

I picked up an NQP WD saddletank from Dave at Warley, a "Hurricane" returned to Hattons.

Fault?  A broken-off handrail on the boiler front.  Said handrail had been there when the loco was weathered and was present in the box.  Looking inside the circuit board had been pulled out and rammed back the wrong way round.

My deduction is that the original purchaser had applied brute force to open the smokebox door, breaking off the handrail above it.  (S)he had then sent the loco back as defective.   

A small amount of liquid poly will sort the handrail, or at worst a new wire handrail and two brass handrail knobs.  the loco runs beautifully.

Les

• Like 3

Message to Dave.

I can understand how you might feel at times - sniping, digs, criticism. Its hard.

But as one modeller to another, as one business owner to another, look deep into your soul and come back here fighting.

There is a common theme on these djm threads and it's like a cancer for your company. You have the power to fight it. Tackle the problem, dig deep and come back here to stop it spreading.

My friend, I'm not interested in an n guage shark van, or in fact any n guage item but I really do want your business to succeed. Be brave, make that call.

• Like 2

Hi Dave

I agree! Please return here and to the N Gauge Forum.

Remember the good times when members praised you for being so open with us all. Members were really grateful when you posted images of developments, giving us all the opportunity to suggest refinements if we felt that they could improve the models. No other manufacturer has done that as consistently as you have. Embryonic businesses need all the support they can get and a huge number of us are willing you to succeed.

There will be occasional criticism, but that is par for the course. Taken sensibly adverse critism can still be converted into something constructive.

You have broad shoulders and a huge wealth of support from those who genuinely care. It was a very brave decision to go out on your own in establishing a totally new business from scratch. Issues in China have certainly not helped, but your are weathering them with aplomb and things are looking much brighter and more positive.

Please, please let everyone know so that the messages get out there to bring more customers on board.

All the Best,

Ged.

• RMweb Premium

I think supplier participation in third party forums can be both good and bad. Supplier participation can facilitate customer feedback and solicit input into improving products as well as adding expert input to forums. It can be a very effective form of guerrilla marketing to raise the profile of a supplier and secure goodwill and support, I think that is fair enough if the participation is positive as ultimately it just means there is a symbiosis between supplier, customer and forum. However, supplier participation can also be negative in that sometimes it promotes partisan behaviours and can start t feel a bit cult-ish and undermine the perceived independence of a forum. Clearly the suppliers own forums are accepted as being their own so it isn’t an issue, but I’ve seen a lot of forums end up quite seriously compromised by being manipulated by suppliers (I’m a hi-fi enthusiast and this issue is rife on audio forums).

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately at the same time it can also provide direct access for the tiny yet very vocal miority of Trolls, naysayers and other associated axe grinders which can so easily drive them away.

I heard something about DJM being trolled on the N Gauge forum a while back for example.

• RMweb Premium

I think Dennis Lovett is a good example of a manufacturer who avoids trying to manipulate the forum but who provides information when it is pertinent to do so and who obviously monitors it. I think the Revolution guys have found a good sweet spot between engagement and forum neutrality.

• AY Mod locked this topic