Pre-Grouping 3D Print Wishlist

I have noticed of late that there are an increasing number of 3D modellers on this forum designing various locomotives, coaches and goods stock mainly for their own collections. Some of them also make these available for sale via the various 3D print companies or from their own 3D printers.

A number of these modellers create models based on the suggestions from the more technically challenged (like me) members of the community so I thought that I would start this thread.

I was thinking along the lines of members listing one item per posting giving the reason/s they would like to see the model made available. Voting for the item is simply based on the number of ‘Like’ or ‘Agree’ clicks the posting receives. Hopefully the subjects will appeal to the 3D model designers enough that they are happy to try their hands at drawing them up.

Dave R.

To start the ball rolling here is my first item.

I’ve always wanted a 4mm scale model of the GWR ‘Armstrong’ 4-4-0’s. What I would be looking for is a basic body shell which could be used with the Branchlines City/Bulldog chassis. Dome and safety valve (& front bogie?) could be sourced from Lord of the Isles spares which are available from various Hornby spare parts sellers. If the 3D modeller wanted to make his own chassis for the model, all the better. A printed tender with coal rails instead of side sheets would be a bonus.

Dave R.

• Like 2

I am willing to do anything, but I suggest asking people other than I for doing such work. I have proven that my standard isn't the highest, nor my products the cheapest and above all that my lead times and ability to deliver are unacceptable.

I'll content myself with 'Derwent' for now. Just thought I'd put this out there before someone (kindly, perhaps) suggests something that I've previously felt enthusiastic about modelling.

I've stuck with the same CAD processes for too long now, stuck with the same software for too long. Even in the past year, everyone else has been able to move on and overtake me! That isn't to say that I'll give up entirely, but I think I'll stop taking any form of commission or 'production' for now.

You didn't specify scale (or restrict it to one scale) so I'll go for any Drummond 4-4-0 in N gauge, something that can run on a Union Mills T9 chassis even if the wheels may be a little inaccurate for the 3D body (it's still better than not having it at all).

Let's start with a Class L12 which uses pretty much the same wheel sizes on the chassis underneath it.

I guess that, if an N version is being produced, then it's just as easy to produce a larger version too (or primarily) and then shrink down/scale up. Scale need not apply to votes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are you looking to buy a copy of someone’s existing model, produced for their needs, or for someone to create the design for you as well, but for no extra cost?

You haven’t given any indication of whether or not you are prepared to pay for the time taken to design the model, which is not inconsiderable. Even at hobby/mates’ rates, for what you are suggesting this could easily be £500, ± quite a lot.

I can’t see the point of voting, except to be able to say that maybe 5 people want such a model, and therefore the design costs could be split between them. But without a firm commitment up front - i.e. paying equal shares of the design cost up-front into an escrow fund or similar - then even that is fairly meaningless.

All that will happen here is a “wish list” will appear, and have no other impact.

• Like 1

Its a matter of what we can get drawings for, I know of a few projects in the development stage which I'll keep quiet about until they manifest themselves properly, in terms of what I personally would like to see that others haven't mentioned (for which drawings exist) I quite like E B Wilson engines like the Pensnett 0-4-0s