GWR cab side number red boarder

Tom F

Evening all

The red thin border to some GWR loco cab side numbers. Was this only on larger passenger locos? Would you have seen it on Cast Iron Cabside number plates of the likes of 57XX/8750, 58XX/14XX?

Thanks

Tom

post-24300-0-91597100-1543008633_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793

It seems that if the loco was lined, then the plate was lined. If the loco wasn't lined, the plate wasn't.

The lining is 1/8" orange chrome.

Thanks Russ!

Have a look at the number plates in the last GWRA auction last Saturday. Several cast iron plates with the line, e.g. 2255. 2255 has original paint and it was lined green.

Cheers Alan, the cab side for my namesake '9793' recently sold, ex loco condition with no sign of lining, but I wasn't sure if had rubbed off. Russ's comments confirm it for me.

• 1 month later...

Cheers Alan, the cab side for my namesake '9793' recently sold, ex loco condition with no sign of lining, but I wasn't sure if had rubbed off. Russ's comments confirm it for me.

Actually it was a bad repaint possibly about 30 years ago - you should cannot believe what auction catalogues say!  The back was OK ex-loco though.

Tony

Edited by Rail-Online

• RMweb Gold

Lining was applied to the number plates of locomotives that received lined green livery post 1956, which included types not previously lined by either the GW or BR.  If it was lined green, it had a lined number plate.

These included 54/64xx, 45xx/4575, 56xx, 5101/61xx/Collett 31xx large praries, 2251, 43xx, and Manor/Grange.  Examples of all these classes, but not all examples of any of these classes with the possible exception of Manors and Granges, were painted in lined green passenger livery form 1956 onwards.  

Some locos of these classes other than Manors or Granges were also turned out in 'economy' unlined green, but I would not be able to state with certainty whether or not the number plates were lined; I suspect they weren't.