DBC seaforth - mossend container service

rob D2

The train mainly consists of KFA wagons but they are now using at least 4 pairs of FCA wagons as the train can includes quite a few 20ft containers as each pair can take 6 compared to 4 on the KFA.

Edited by slg

The train mainly consists of KFA wagons but they are now using at least 4 pairs of FCA wagons as the train can includes quite a few 20ft containers as each pair can take 6 compared to 4 on the KFA.

I think you mean FKA twins. These have a 820mm deck height and can only load two 20' units per platform. KFA is a single wagons with a deck height of 1000mm and can load 3 x 20' units.

From a distance you cant tell the difference between the FC and FX even when next to each other!

Mark Saunders

FYA & FXA wagons were all built as FCA.

FCA when loaded to the max GLW, speed was reduced to 60 mph.

This made them unsuitable for class 4 workings, so some wagons were modified (brake if I recall correctly) to run at 75 mph.

Deck height of FCA/FYA is 1023mm. With gauge enhancement of routes to enable 9' 6" units to be loaded on the standard flats, KFA FSA etc, FCA FYA deck height of 1023mm meant they could still not be loaded with 9' 6" units. Hence further wheel mod and the FXA. 

I believe FXA wagons are now being marked up to make them obvious to loading staff.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add, had a good look at the set that was sat in the loading area at Seaforth this afternoon, its roughly half and half FXAs and FKAs.

There's a pair of FKAs sat just outside in the run round loop between the container port and the Corn Mill with one wheelset on a dolly. There were a few stabled further down the docks near the Strand Road gate in what I assumed was a cripples siding, not sure if these were them and have been moved for attention.