Can anyone help identify this, please?

For £2 at a stock sale, I couldn't resist this tiny brake van. White-metal body with a card roof and plastic wheels, it'll be upgraded in due course. But what is it? It is really a Gwendraeth van? I could not find any images on line to support that branding.

Anyway, over to the Oracle.....

46030092311_b7ca8261b4_z.jpg

Thanks

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For £2 at a stock sale, I couldn't resist this tiny brake van. White-metal body with a card roof and plastic wheels, it'll be upgraded in due course. But what is it? It is really a Gwendraeth van? I could not find any images on line to support that branding.

Anyway, over to the Oracle.....

46030092311_b7ca8261b4_z.jpg

Thanks

Tony

North British Railway brakevan. There should a handrail on top of the balcony uprights.

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold

Dinky litte thing, isn't it; full understand why you couldn't resist!  I reckon there would have been a removable safety bar that located into that thing nearly half way up the corner, in line with the handrail.  It needs brakes, or it's existence is a bit pointless, and tail/lamp brackets, but I have no idea of their actual positions.

• Like 2

Hi,

Looks like the little NBR brake van right enough. These were rebuilt out of the Brake trucks that were used on the Cowlairs incline (leading down to Glasgow Queen Street) when this was cable worked. If you can imagine the model cut off all the way round level with the end and fitted with the stantions all the way round. They had two big "ships wheel" type brake handle in the centre and several could be added to a train to provide extra braking. I believe that a single brakesman could control several by going from one to another, no health and safety then of course. When cable haulage was done away with some of these brake "trucks" were rebuilt with an enclosed body like the model and used as conventional brake vans.

best wishes,

Ian