The Stobs project

Richard Hall

1 hour ago, DaveArkley said:

Very nice, I just ordered one.

Where did you source the 7mm wheels please Richard?

The layout is coming together very nicely, already oozes the Borders.

Cheers

Dave

The wheels are Farish coach wheels I had lying around.  Hard to get hold of at the moment apparently. You may have to rob them off a Mk1 and hope they come back into stock later.  The Chivers kit has a couple of issues  partly due to its long wheelbase.  I buried 2mm Assoc bearing cups deep in the axleboxes but still had to push the solebars right out to get the wheels to fit, Farish axles are quite long.  Then the thing wouldn't sit square and I had to carefully twist the body, using a sheet of glass to check the wheels, until it didn't wobble, at which point I glued the roof down.  It still rocks slightly: three point compensation with rocking W irons would be better but I can't find anyone who makes them in N gauge.  I might have to get the CAD software out again and design an etch myself.

Richard

Richard

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I must admit that,  as an occasional viewer of this thread, i didn't realise it was in N!

I'd assumed it was 00.

Excellent modelling and really gives the impression of a railway in its real (rather remote) setting.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/09/2020 at 07:46, Richard Hall said:

Couple more photos for Iain Mac:

DSCN1976-L.jpg

Unusual motive power for a Kingmoor-Millerhill freight: a "Crab" clanks over the viaduct towards Hawick.

DSCN2030-L.jpg

BRCW Type 2 on a Carlisle-Hawick local passes a typical North British platelayers hut.

DSCN2067-L.jpg

Banking to Whitrope: a J36 gives a sturdy shove to a southbound freight.

Is the J36 from a kit? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 08:28, crunchie48 said:

Is the J36 from a kit? 

Scratchbuilt from brass and Plastikard.  Sine I finished it, Tiny Underground Models have done a 3D printed body to fit a Farish C class chassis.  https://www.shapeways.com/product/M67BBQCK5/nbr-c-class-lner-j36-n-gauge?optionId=189926414&li=shops

• Informative/Useful 1