3D Printing in 2mm Scale

TomE

• RMweb Gold

I thought i'd move this off the Workbench thread to avoid clogging it up with 3D printing posts since there appear to be several 2mm/N Gauge modellers using these printers now. 

This is the latest print off my Anycubic Photon:

post-1467-0-60604300-1543174611_thumb.jpeg

The boiler was drawn up using Fusion360:

post-1467-0-50905600-1542935721_thumb.jpg

There are a few areas that I need to work on, namely support positioning to minimize cleanup on the lower surface of the boiler tube, and also resolving the line which runs parallel along the boiler sides. I suspect this is an issue with the model rather than the printer as it has been present on all of the prints I've made so far, so a little investigation/learning required in Fusion. 

Steve (Atso) kindly sent me over a few pointers on print/orientation settings so I'm planning to try these on the next print. 

Cheers, 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 8

Good idea with the new thread Tom!

My contribution is a test print of one of my N gauge LNER Dia 23 fish vans that I designed last year.

post-943-0-02123600-1543228986_thumb.jpg

This is my first attempt using Anycubic's grey resin and it was also printed on a new FEP sheet - the transparent barrier between the LCD projection unit and the resin. I've cut the supports off and tidied up the supported faces; it is currently undergoing post curing in a UV light box.

Edited by Atso
  • Like 7

Interested to see what appears in here.....

I'm enjoying working away at a V1/V3 print but always interested to see what guys like yourself come up with.

Sounds like there is a continuous improvement in the printing as well, with high quality home printing now an option rather than Shapeways etc..

Edited by millerhillboy

• RMweb Gold

Angling the print reduces large areas of flat surface, which would require extensive supports to avoid the risk of failure as the printer lifts the layer from the bottom surface of the resin tank. 

Tom.  

• Informative/Useful 1

What's the reason for angling the print?

Angling the print reduces large areas of flat surface, which would require extensive supports to avoid the risk of failure as the printer lifts the layer from the bottom surface of the resin tank. 

Tom.  

In addition to Tom's comments, angling the print can also help disguise the pixels that will be highly visible if you printed a model parallel to the build plate.

Back to some prints and I did the fish van again today.

post-943-0-97428800-1543345564_thumb.jpg

As an experiment I added to roof to the STL file and tried printing multiple models. I actually printed seven of these vans (filling the build plate) but, unfortunately, I placed the models too close to the build plate and shattered one when cutting off the supports due to a lack of give. I've modified the file so that the model is sitting 2mm higher which should remove this problem.

• Like 9

Nice work on the roof Steve, looks commendably thin at the edges!

Tom.  

Thanks Tom, the roof is 0.5mm thick at the edges but goes to 1mm inside the body.

Here is a photo of one of the vans in primer.

post-943-0-31468200-1543404000_thumb.jpg

This is particularly cruel close up shot and I'd like to stress that I've done no clean up other than remove all traces of the supports. This is the result of three light coats of Halfords red primer and there are visible print lines if you care in inspect the model closely under a very strong light. For a layout model, I think it'll pass inspection.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

This is particularly cruel close up shot and I'd like to stress that I've done no clean up other than remove all traces of the supports. 

Which I think speaks volumes for the quality of the prints from the Photon. Considering that is only about what, 4cm long, it looks fantastic! 

I've made a start on drawing up a 12T Palvan, although I could do with finding some drawings for them. Does anyone know a good source for these, if they even exist?

Tom. 

In all honesty, I don't think that is cruel at all. Looks fine to me.

Which I think speaks volumes for the quality of the prints from the Photon. Considering that is only about what, 4cm long, it looks fantastic! 

I've made a start on drawing up a 12T Palvan, although I could do with finding some drawings for them. Does anyone know a good source for these, if they even exist?

Tom. 

Thank you guys. :)

Tom, I think (but might be wrong) that the NGS has managed to get the tooling for the Palvan kit working again - mounted on a suitable chassis etch I'm sure it would look the part. Might it be worth checking with them?

Edit: I've just had a look on the NGS shop and kit 63 is indeed back in stock.

Edited by Atso

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tom, the roof is 0.5mm thick at the edges but goes to 1mm inside the body.

Here is a photo of one of the vans in primer.

attachicon.gifDia 23 Fish Van in primer.jpg

This is particularly cruel close up shot and I'd like to stress that I've done no clean up other than remove all traces of the supports. This is the result of three light coats of Halfords red primer and there are visible print lines if you care in inspect the model closely under a very strong light. For a layout model, I think it'll pass inspection.

That is really good Steve. We could do with a few of them on our Flying Kipper!

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

Thank you Tim, PM sent.

I've had a go at printing the chassis. Surprisingly, I managed to calculate the compensation for the slightly over thick walls correctly and the wheels are very free running!

post-943-0-55311300-1543429042_thumb.jpg

However, the are a couple of niggles with the print. The worst is that, from some unknown reason, one end of the chassis ended up much thicker than the other requiring me to carefully rub down the tops of the solebars to end everything to the same thickness and square. I'll play around with the orientation and settings to get a better result but I'm pretty pleased with this as a first attempt at printing it. I need to modify the brake levers and put the crank in that clears the axle boxes and see if I add brake shoes!

Edited by Atso
  • Like 7

Guys

If and maybe its a big if, what sort of cost would you think there would be in a simple unfinished unpainted print of a single wagon. Not including wheels, couplings etc..

The finish from what I'm seeing is starting to really look excellent after a few test runs. So question is what would a wagon body cost from one of these home printers rather than somewhere like Shapeways.