3D Printing in 2mm Scale

TomE

1 hour ago, MinerChris said:

Has the resin distorted whilst it was curing - or is it a prototypical BR curly sandwich? :-D

Best Wishes,

Chris

Reminds me of The Meaning of Liff by Douglas Adams:

Amlwch (n.)

A British Rail sandwich which has been kept soft by being regularly washed and resealed in clingfilm.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/05/2020 at 15:25, TomE said:

including cups and triangular sandwich box..

Just how many people will see that over the years to come. As others say, the quality of the print is excellent and looking forward to the through the window shot of this.

• RMweb Gold

That’s not just a sandwich, it’s a MHR sandwich! 

I did think about making a back dated version, but I can’t make the supports small enough for the curled edges of a plated up BR Blue era sarnie. 

I was planning to use a Farish RU chassis, but it seems a bit of a waste and there appear to be some subtle differences so I’ve been testing out whether it’s feasible to print my own underframe equipment. The battery boxes seem to have come out ok. 

B64556CF-2101-49DB-9A67-84BBD9A74ECE.jpeg.f90ed7a3175a676694794c0854e0c8e2.jpeg

Tom

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

My own contribution is (having gotten the first one working properly) another couple of C1 Atlantics. These will become 3286 (front) and 4436, both of which were regular visitors to Hadley Wood. While still in the raw resin, I hope that enough can been seen to show the detail differences between the two locomotives.

3286 and 4436.jpg

• Like 11

From the big stuff to the little stuff.

I've been talking with Laurie Adams about bits and bobs like facing point locks and detectors to go with his excellent point rodding range. With a bit of spare time yesterday, I drew up a Midland economical lock and this morning, printed a few. There is a small lug beneath the plate to position the lock in relation to the timbers. Whether it's worth doing the small bar and box type locks, I don't know.

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Yorkshire Square said:

From the big stuff to the little stuff.

I've been talking with Laurie Adams about bits and bobs like facing point locks and detectors to go with his excellent point rodding range. With a bit of spare time yesterday, I drew up a Midland economical lock and this morning, printed a few. There is a small lug beneath the plate to position the lock in relation to the timbers. Whether it's worth doing the small bar and box type locks, I don't know.

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

Brilliant, they look really useful. Any chance they will be added to the 2mm shop

Jerry

1 hour ago, queensquare said:

Brilliant, they look really useful. Any chance they will be added to the 2mm shop

Jerry

Thanks Jerry

Yes, the plan is to do a small range including detectors, locks and maybe point motors (the real ones, not Peco style :rolleyes:). As I no nowt about these things, I'm waiting on some pointers from Laurie. If you have any ideas and/or prototype info, let me know. Cheers!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Griddle underframe coming along. All of the equipment boxes are printed. I had to relocate the V hangars too to match the real thing. 

Pleased with how these have turned out. 

CB65B376-ABB5-454F-AD18-65DE372D8910.jpeg.8517fe99a58f7b4737f5b16cfb7f211e.jpeg

Excuse the dodgy pic. Also the body & Interior are the original V1 I’ve been using for testing. 

Tom. 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Having created a number of CAD models of various Midland prototypes primarily for 7mm I thought I ought to see if I can print them at 2mm.  The answer is sort of...

I'm struggling with eradicating various distortions in the models.  I've printed a corpse van on my Wanhao D7 using Elegoo grey ABS like reason at 35 microns.  It ain't perfect.  Certainly not as good as some of the examples on here.

20200518_124307.jpg.3817dcca9c0cb11e15df9d363c1abb0d.jpg

Supports, apart from the strip along the bottom edge, are added using Chitubox but other than that the model is simply scaled from the 7mm version.

It's rather small compared to its brother!

20200518_125426.jpg.8a1bd67fa973c57f9b75290659c345b8.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Edited by eldavo
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

How thick do the sides come out Dave if it’s just a scaled down 7mm model? Could be they are not think enough on the 2mm version and that’s what’s causing the warping. Ideally they need to be 1mm or more. 

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, eldavo said:

Having created a number of CAD models of various Midland prototypes primarily for 7mm I thought I ought to see if I can print them at 2mm.  The answer is sort of...

I'm struggling with eradicating various distortions in the models.  I've printed a corpse van on my Wanhao D7 using Elegoo grey ABS like reason at 35 microns.  It ain't perfect.  Certainly not as good as some of the examples on here.

9 hours ago, eldavo said:

Supports, apart from the strip along the bottom edge, are added using Chitubox but other than that the model is simply scaled from the 7mm version.

It's rather small compared to its brother!

20200518_125426.jpg.8a1bd67fa973c57f9b75290659c345b8.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Midland NPCS, I really hope you can make these available to the wider masses. What other vehicles have you done,

Jerry

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Water tank for Bath which Tom E kindly did for me. I've sliced it from its supports with a razor saw and cleaned it up but not done anything else with it yet. More details on my Bath thread. 

Jerry

803784513_20200518_212345(2).jpg.e893d1b9c8d96047b070f784f4c593d5.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Decided to have a crack at some B4 bogies since it’s difficult to get Farish ones on stock I can repurpose now. Pretty pleased with these! 

A6F9EAD2-EE00-4117-97FF-8F679120F446.jpeg.46312f586dcdb63f061f35c4093ab26b.jpeg

19D58F27-2C65-407C-B8E1-34B4F1E06420.jpeg.cd3109afac67e2aa52004530f79fb560.jpeg

Will let them thoroughly cure for a few days before removing the support and trying wheelsets in them. 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

That’ll do Photon, that’ll do! 

ADC504EB-CD4C-4FF2-BCDA-45046CD16D69.jpeg.79ff70cca66c02ac7c0c35e08f98c3d7.jpeg

There is a ‘deliberate’ mistake though on the bogie though, which I’ll correct before printing. Wonder if anyone can spot it :)

I’ve managed to track down a pack of the Farish 6.3mm wheels which should hopefully arrive in the next couple of days, but a test with some borrowed from another coach was successful and the bogie ran freely.

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Cav! Really pleased with them, although the deliberate error was me mirroring the springs so that at each end the coil ran in the opposite direction whereas they should coil the same way :rolleyes: A classic example of time saving actually causing more work! Not sure anyone would have noticed when they're running on the layout but all fixed now and other set running off the printer. 

I'm also going to draw up some brake units for addition after the wheelsets are installed. Always bugs me that on both the Farish B4 and Commonwealth bogies the brakes are not inline with the wheels. 

Look forward to seeing how the Y25s come out! 

Tom.  

• Like 1