3D Printing in 2mm Scale

TomE

I can't upload either of these honeycomb files in Fusion unfortunately.  And, while it is easy to create a hexagon in Fusion, a honeycomb is another matter entirely!

Would it be possible to upload one of of these beautiful files as an ordinary stl please?

Many thanks

Simon

Nope a honeycomb is dead easy to do in fusion. I will do a video later and show you how. What size honeycomb would you like? Hexagon size and wall thickness?

Edit: Link to video

Edited by RBE
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

No Probs, you can draw them whatever size you like. That took me like 3 minutes and that was with a few pauses here and there to let my brain catch up. There is no reason not to do the honeycomb from scratch on your wagon floor whenever you are using it on a model by model basis, its so fast to do.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

54B8B64E-B6FE-4D96-AEC6-166EC9A3CF86.jpeg.ce54c328f4a56f8b0568966784c94549.jpeg

Starting to look part now I reckon. Printed, primed, painted. It will be interesting to see where 3D printing is in another 5 years or so but this will do nicely for now. 

This is one of the test bodies with brush painted black areas, but I’ve sprayed up a couple of the final version which will also have the black areas sprayed once all masked up. 

Tom. 

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Buffers! 

0AE3CD88-4710-4D22-BB3F-6250880945E1.jpeg.1cdd88651eef8a3a1a6fec8b98b5c2e1.jpeg

4A184469-B148-4212-A1DE-597BD4754A7D.jpeg.4764a88bae5116b86dbe8de34d4a7538.jpeg

These came out a fraction too large so I’ve reduced the size and I’m running the through the printer again now. Sadly the OLEO text didn’t make it. 

Tom. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, TomE said:

Buffers! 

0AE3CD88-4710-4D22-BB3F-6250880945E1.jpeg.1cdd88651eef8a3a1a6fec8b98b5c2e1.jpeg

4A184469-B148-4212-A1DE-597BD4754A7D.jpeg.4764a88bae5116b86dbe8de34d4a7538.jpeg

These came out a fraction too large so I’ve reduced the size and I’m running the through the printer again now. Sadly the OLEO text didn’t make it. 

Tom. 

Do they have working springs printed inside ?

• Funny 5

3 hours ago, TomE said:

Next test for the mono x! 

42D9C52C-A45A-4654-84C0-C6ED5C10BB77.jpeg.e2b29341f527b76be4ae4ae7b00bba54.jpeg

Open Shoc wagon body. The sides are quite thin so we’ll see how (if) they come out! 

Tom. 

Tom, given the colour should that be an open choc wagon?? :jester:

I couldn't help but notice though that there appear to be rivets/bolts on the near corrugated end, but the other end (showing the inside) there is nothing into which said bolts/rivets would fit.  Is that an oversight on your part?  Are the two ends different?  Clearly, since this type of wagon appeared long after 1906 (and almost certainly on a different railway system) I have absolutely no knowledge of the prototype so please feel free to ignore my observation!

Ian

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Smith said:

Tom, given the colour should that be an open choc wagon?? :jester:

I couldn't help but notice though that there appear to be rivets/bolts on the near corrugated end, but the other end (showing the inside) there is nothing into which said bolts/rivets would fit.  Is that an oversight on your part?  Are the two ends different?  Clearly, since this type of wagon appeared long after 1906 (and almost certainly on a different railway system) I have absolutely no knowledge of the prototype so please feel free to ignore my observation!

Ian

It's more of a can't find a decent photo of the insides thing! 

There are a couple of pics on Paul Bartlett's site with the side door open which appear to show the inside ends may have been plated or planked over, hence no detail on there until I can confirm that!

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for those Ian. Just after posting the above I had a flash of inspiration (ouch) and started trawling through the videos I’ve taken at the Mid Hants over the years. I managed to capture their example at just the right angle to show vertical wooden planking over (most) of the inner ends. 

903E94B5-AC8A-4155-8266-122E8CAD6EFA.png.8f0bbffc28b296ce14efee086c6e2c0b.png

There is a print currently running to test if the mono x is up to the thin side walls and whether they can be kept straight until fully cured. To aid in that I’ve added my usual lower raft but also with drain holes and a ‘sprue’ over the top of the wagon to try and keep things in check

543FDF57-1531-4DC2-A0E8-B5B9FE4B710A.jpeg.a7bedc9d6d85016e5b86ce8855e467a6.jpeg

Only 6 hours to find out if it works or not! 

Tom. 

• Like 3

One other thing that I thought that you might have included would have been the capping strip on top of the sides, or at least some representation of the clips holding it down (which can be clearly seen in your photo of the Mid Hants example).

Edited by bécasse
typo corrected

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, bécasse said:

One other thing that I thought that you might have included would have been the capping strip on top of the sides, or at least some representation of the bolts holding it down (which can be clearly seen in your photo of the Mid Hants example).

I'd forgotten that in the pics posted above...........

shoc2.jpg.481c91747534ec8510587440ba6dcb06.jpg

The inside ends have had the planking and bolt representations added too. 

Tom.  

• Like 4

I see some mention of people willing to share STL files but only see one has made it onto the 2 mm website. 

I treated myself to “mars pro 2 mono” to have a go at printing some wagons/break vans/general stock as I have a couple of quiet days to enjoy over the break.

I wonder if anybody would be willing to share some STL files that they have successfully printed so I don’t have to reinvent rivet size and can work with the recesses in detail that you’ve already established?

Of particular interest would be anything midland railway oriented but really I’m just after looking at details and how they’ve been modelled to translate them.

Happy to message my email via pm, it’s also in the 2mm directory.

Thanks Gary 

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

I am happy to share some of my STLs, but they were made for printing by Shapeways, so do not have rafts, skirts or supports. Are they of any use to others? If so, I can upload some.

Ian

indeed they are the slicing software adds the rafts etc

Nick B

9 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

I am happy to share some of my STLs, but they were made for printing by Shapeways, so do not have rafts, skirts or supports. Are they of any use to others? If so, I can upload some.

If you would be happy for me to do so I could send already sliced files for Gary. We have the same printer. 

It would be great to have a few files to look over, so would love to take you up on the offers @nick_bastable @Ian Morgan @richbrummitt rest assured they will only be used for my personal use to work out the best detail as described below.

My email is: garyf3d@outlook.com

My intention is to import the stl into fusion as a mesh and then just use your established detailed metrics (for rivet size/depth, plank recesses etc) rather than go through the experimentation stages you have already been through.

@richbrummitt how are you finding the printer? do you have any photos? As you suggested it would be great to see some sliced files or screenshots as to what you have found the best orientation/raft options. What resin have you found most successful, I was given some water washable, so will start here, but it seems to have mixed reviews. I do have a was and cure so can easily accommodate other resins.

2 hours ago, garygfletcher said:

I see some mention of people willing to share STL files but only see one has made it onto the 2 mm website. 

Presumably because only one person contacted Nigel Hunt who is coordinating this. 

9 minutes ago, garygfletcher said:

It would be great to have a few files to look over, so would love to take you up on the offers ................ rest assured they will only be used for my personal use to work out the best detail as described below.

My email is: ..........

Which is great cooperation, but doesn't change what's on the 2mm website. 

Sharing stuff on the website requires people to offer information to the coordinator.   It doesn't happen by magic.   
I'll tweak the page to add headings, filters, search terms, and the like, if/when there are enough to require it. 

- Nigel (webmaster)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If anyone wants to give this LBSCR 5 plank open wagon a try, let me know how it goes. If it is workable, I will push it to the 2mm website.

It is designed to fit the Association 9'6" wheelbase chassis (2-328), but the solebars and chassis 'floor' need shortening somewhat.

LBSCR5plank_in_Blender.jpg.1d5530e8c1a6544fcdfb6eba0794ad55.jpg

IMG_20201223_172558

LBSCR_5Plank_fixed.stl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold

Well I knew I was pushing it with 0.4mm thick sides & ends, and I was right. Will have to thicken them up slightly & try again. On the plus side the details came out great! 

51C0DAC9-B1D2-4A5A-8AE1-6433995B0BA2.jpeg.1c17793bcb15a94ab6be1886e932abd2.jpeg13E11A93-E0B0-4775-A9E7-83D9D8EFB5EC.jpeg.3ff4735f50876797c807de79c55e69bd.jpeg

Tom. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1