3D Printing in 2mm Scale

TomE

Some more work done on the Howlden/Gresley triplet. I've still got to do the other side and I'm annoyed by the wonky 'LNER' on the brake third - thankfully this is the side that won't be normally visible from the viewing side of the layout.

20211207_184514-1.jpg.710bbffdd1170d881377f708452ec627.jpg

Despite having now returned to work, I've been slowly working on designing another carriage.

872661218_656RestaurantFirstBody3.jpg.907d1c518b39592229b6d8fcff003ad2.jpg

301566474_656RestaurantFirstBody4.jpg.432c7e8c7c604bdd9621e64e364cc834.jpg

A Gresley ex-GNR 63'6 RF which will ride on six wheel bogies. I've designed this one for a specific early 1930's formation that only ran in the summer months and it will be paired with a pantry third of similar outline. The express was named; any ideas as to the train to be modelled?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Atso said:

Some more work done on the Howlden/Gresley triplet. I've still got to do the other side and I'm annoyed by the wonky 'LNER' on the brake third - thankfully this is the side that won't be normally visible from the viewing side of the layout.

20211207_184514-1.jpg.710bbffdd1170d881377f708452ec627.jpg

Despite having now returned to work, I've been slowly working on designing another carriage.

872661218_656RestaurantFirstBody3.jpg.907d1c518b39592229b6d8fcff003ad2.jpg

301566474_656RestaurantFirstBody4.jpg.432c7e8c7c604bdd9621e64e364cc834.jpg

A Gresley ex-GNR 63'6 RF which will ride on six wheel bogies. I've designed this one for a specific early 1930's formation that only ran in the summer months and it will be paired with a pantry third of similar outline. The express was named; any ideas as to the train to be modelled?

11.50 from King's Cross perchance? 

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a small plug for some of the designs now available via the 2mm Association 3D CAD exchange. The contractor-built LMS steel vans (diagram 1828) below are designed by @Sithlord75 and printed on an Elegoo Mars 2 by my brother.  They use chassis 2-324, Association buffers and NGS transfers.

1250916607_20220109_1719182.jpg.f013e62d3fb24746e1ff028e02aa4694.jpg

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

11 hours ago, 65179 said:

Just a small plug for some of the designs now available via the 2mm Association 3D CAD exchange. The contractor-built LMS steel vans (diagram 1828) below are designed by @Sithlord75 and printed on an Elegoo Mars 2 by my brother.  They use chassis 2-324, Association buffers and NGS transfers.

1250916607_20220109_1719182.jpg.f013e62d3fb24746e1ff028e02aa4694.jpg

Simon

Don't want to be picky, but aren't the brakes the wrong way round?  Seems like we are looking at the lifting link on this side, which reverses the action.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

Don't want to be picky, but aren't the brakes the wrong way round?  Seems like we are looking at the lifting link on this side, which reverses the action.

Oops so they are! A good job I've not glued the bodies to the chassis yet! Thanks Nick,    Simon

Glad the picky was at the chassis and not the bodies!!!

All three contractor vans to D1828 are available for those interested in the stl file.  Flick me a PM or email (email can be found in the 2mm Newsletter - ZAG or SEQAG contact).

Edited by Sithlord75
correcting Diagram number
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

Now remedied:

149220649_20220110_2102412.jpg.3b0a0e3e9689d3e4e0900adc5be691a0.jpg

Simon

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 months later...

Hi folks,

Some more L&Y goodness these past few nights while other things were going off in the background. 

Partially done L&Y dia 61 20 ton brake van. Some interior "cab" detailing to do, such as doors and windows. I am undecided whether to model the chassis or not. If I did it would be 3d printed springs, irons, axleboxes and footboards. This would hopefully allow enough room to let an etched wagon chassis and pinpoint bearings just slide into it underneath. The other approach would be to find an 8-shoe fitted chassis that fits underneath perfectly along with appropriate leaf springs, but the likelihood of something fitting perfectly is not high! 

Would love to see what everyone else has been up to! 

image.png.6a8e9ae849be3bfe0bbc569cfc4657d1.png

Edited by A. Bastow
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been a few weeks in the making but here I think is the version that I will print over the next few days. 

image.png.2289fe5cf5b56c384b68ff9e6561c2bf.png

It's designed to take an L&Y 10'6" chassis from association shop 2. The way it should work is that the plain chassis with bearings should sit perfectly inside the printed axleboxes. The axleboxes, springs and brackets actually hold up the rest of the body. 

I know the resin I use is sturdy but those parts are at the thickest 0.5mm. We'll see if it works. If it doesn't I can look at a way to use some scrap etch to help support it all.

I'm sure I have spare bits enough to rig up the extra four brake shoes not present on the kit as well as enough for guard irons and handles, etc. I could use the banding strips from the association shop to fabricate or strengthen the footboards if I needed to. 

I'm not sure how many hours I've spent on this. Must be a good 8 hours or so - I'm no expert! Glad this one is at a printable stage! 

Edited by A. Bastow
typo
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...

Some ongoing projects to fulfil a long held desire to own some pilot scheme diesel traction in N scale!
Modelled in Blender using test print results to calibrate gap widths and minimum sizes for items like bolts and vent slats, the numbers of which were reduced to about 3 per millimetre. 
Scale drawings used were from British Rail Main Line Diesel Locomotives.
Did some test part prints at 0.02mm & 1.33sec exposure on my basic Photon Mono with Phrozen Aqua resin. 
Parts were angled at 21.413 degrees using the sine of 0.051mm pixel size and 0.02mm height. 
Encountered warpage issues, going to try fatter walls and internal ribbing next, would ideally like to keep printing in separate sections to get the best layer line finish!

1713722608_BabyDeltic.PNG.7607a1d2744aa69b952fd86b8bc56040.PNGMV Type 2.PNG298433185_BTHType1.PNG.bd6dc2e9d31ed3ae12cd9ee6bad4300d.PNG1709190668_NBLType1.PNG.2cbdba7c71e4f4c30fb05c34112cbae5.PNG654138036_TestPrints.png.bf3f1821036b6325687dc84b8dc80633.png

Edited by tom s
  • Like 16

7 hours ago, tom s said:

Some ongoing projects to fulfil a long held desire to own some pilot scheme diesel traction in N scale!

Do you have any plans to make these available as kits, for those of us who have a similar desire but lack the hardware? 🤩

Richard

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, RichardBenn said:

Do you have any plans to make these available as kits, for those of us who have a similar desire but lack the hardware? 🤩

Richard

That sounds worth looking into! Finding chassis that would fit the bodies might be difficult, I don't own any of the farish 20's or older 25/33 models that seem the obvious choice. 
My own models i'm planning to be on scratch made chassis with spare wheelsets/gears/pickups from farishspares.co.uk and a coreless motor probably from tramfabriek.nl. Mainly because it is a lot cheaper, the printer and equipment weren't cheap but I'm thinking will be more cost effective than buying several locomotives or coach sets RtR. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, tom s said:

That sounds worth looking into! Finding chassis that would fit the bodies might be difficult, I don't own any of the farish 20's or older 25/33 models that seem the obvious choice. 
My own models i'm planning to be on scratch made chassis with spare wheelsets/gears/pickups from farishspares.co.uk and a coreless motor probably from tramfabriek.nl. Mainly because it is a lot cheaper, the printer and equipment weren't cheap but I'm thinking will be more cost effective than buying several locomotives or coach sets RtR. 

The challange will be finding suitable chassis as the wheelbases of the CL15 & CL16 are quite a bit less than the CL20 or CL24/25. As Bachmann now offer spares getting a couple of CL20 bogies and fitting them into a home brew chassis could be a solution, althought not a cheap option.

Bob

And now we have a completed L&Y brake van. 

The chassis didn’t fit as I’d hoped so what I did was take the sides off the etch with the bearing mounts and trim them to length to fit inside. They are simply glued in place, as are the OLEO buffers. I used some two part epoxy putty to serve as a base to glue the couplings on (as pictured).

Really happy with how it turned out. 

Next job I think is to get a loco kit built and get some painting done. 

E0F26F13-F2BC-45FA-8758-E474735D7378.jpeg

04B7F07E-9DD4-4AD2-8468-53D1389F35E3.jpeg

• Like 12

I seem to have got dragged into doing some tender axleboxes... 😆

Here are the LNER Group Standard ones with short spring hangers. I've just noticed that one of the spring protectors hasn't printed. I'll need to check that. 

DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.76a20e6755964374e5dca863faa835ac.JPG

These and other types will be available to buy from Central Shop at Derby.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Yorkshire Square said:

I seem to have got dragged into doing some tender axleboxes... 😆

Here are the LNER Group Standard ones with short spring hangers. I've just noticed that one of the spring protectors hasn't printed. I'll need to check that. 

DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.76a20e6755964374e5dca863faa835ac.JPG

These and other types will be available to buy from Central Shop at Derby.

These look really good Tony, nice work. Will you have the Fowler 3,500 gallon and Midland Railway Johnson tender axlebox/ springs at Derby, or have you been overwhelmed with enthusiasm and printed even more types to take with you? I was really impressed with the level of detail and delicacy of the test Fowler ones you sent me to look at and I think these new items will be a boon to many of us.

Nigel Hunt

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nig H said:

These look really good Tony, nice work. Will you have the Fowler 3,500 gallon and Midland Railway Johnson tender axlebox/ springs at Derby, or have you been overwhelmed with enthusiasm and printed even more types to take with you? I was really impressed with the level of detail and delicacy of the test Fowler ones you sent me to look at and I think these new items will be a boon to many of us.

Nigel Hunt

Hi Nigel

There will be two types of Fowler (Plain Front and Bit Stuck On(!)), Johnson and two types of LNER (Short Hanger and Longer Hanger). These are printed and ready to go.

Simon Grand has identified some LNER ones with even longer hangers (!) and I might get these done too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

More wagon designing today. 

Probably spent about 4 hours on this off and on today, and with distractions from other things. 

L&Y 10 ton coal wagon to Diagram 4. I'm getting better at reading those engineering drawings and faster at transferring them to a 3d model. Really happy with this one. As is the danger with 2mm scale modelling, it's often a case of what to include and what to leave off - which led me to working on it half an hour longer than intended to include the banding on the inside of the wagon, with the accompanying rivets on both sides of the planks. 

I keep getting asked if I am going to make these L&Y wagons available to people the answer is yes. I plan to have listed on the 2mm association website either as a direct order from myself or as a CAD exchange with others who have files to share. 

image.png.73abc1e4bf3fe6ab1c0d68c081ac0998.png

Edited by A. Bastow
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, A. Bastow said:

As is the danger with 2mm scale modelling, it's often a case of what to include and what to leave off - which led me to working on it half an hour longer than intended to include the banding on the inside of the wagon, with the accompanying rivets on both sides of the planks. 

I take my advice on what to include v what to not worry about from (I think) @Caley Jim - if it casts a shadow, put it on.  I've always been a little surprised as to what prints and how it can make a difference having it or not - even if it is slightly over scale.  The eye expects to see it and will notice the absence more than the presence. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another L&Y flavoured wagon this week - to Diagram 12, "pitch wagon". Open wagon with a single tip end and side doors. 

This one ended up with a rather messy timeline as the measurements taken from the drawing didn't look right when compared with the photographs. So I went with what looked right as opposed to what I had managed to take from the drawing. It also didn't help that this wagon only has a single line of symmetry down the length of the wagon. With some of the others that I have done before, they had two lines of symmetry- one down the length and across the width, so I was able to draw a quarter of the wagon and then mirror/copy the parts up so it duplicates everything. 

Slowly working my way through the various types. Diagram 15 with falling sides next. Don't really want to think about the ones after that to be honest! 

image.png.0aa9aa5c185cee9f804d5a0871925b68.png

• Like 2

I feel you with the end door variations!  I ended up doing qtrs which I mirrored into halves and assembled the halves rather than drawing a half.  I have a large collection of quarter wagons as a result!  But it does mean, at least when it comes to RCH types, I can put together over 25 different types.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

I feel you with the end door variations!  I ended up doing qtrs which I mirrored into halves and assembled the halves rather than drawing a half.  I have a large collection of quarter wagons as a result!  But it does mean, at least when it comes to RCH types, I can put together over 25 different types.

I should really have had a look at doing something like that to be fair. Rather than drawing up wagons randomly, have a look at the plank widths, overall wagon lengths etc and categorise them and build them from there from quarter wagons as you have done. Too late now really as I'm 8 wagon designs deep with the Dia.15 already in the works. 

I suppose I could set up a standard base for the wagon and modify it as needed when doing a new design. 

Any suggestions for L&Y wagons that people would want drawing up? I am also thinking about doing some more carriages, that's if I can figure out how to make the detail extend down on to curved surfaces in F360. 

• Like 1