3D Printing in 2mm Scale

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Having had a chat with Atso at the Stevenage show, I’ve made a few changes to the palvan CAD. A longitudinal wall has been added down the Centre, along with a floor including drain holes for any uncured resin to escape. I’ve also tried replacing some of the spheres I’d used for rivets with cylinders on Steve’s suggestion, and this has given much better definition.

post-1467-0-07249800-1547990759_thumb.jpeg

Printed using Phrozen grey resin and only primed with some supports removed, no other clean up.

Tom.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

There are a lot more rivets on a Palvan than I initially realized! Slowly getting there though. This is probably one of the best prints of the van so far using a few tips from Steve about orientation & angles.

post-1467-0-46581500-1548632252_thumb.jpeg

post-1467-0-93473000-1548632274_thumb.jpeg

The lighting here is showing up some lines which are nearly impossible to see in the flesh, and once fully painted will probably disappear anyway, although I’ve done nothing to this again except prime it, so some proper cleaning up of the print would also help.

Tom.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

On Steve's (Atso) suggestion I changed the rivets from spheres to cylinders, which give much better definition when printed. In close proximity to the strapping any gap between it and the rivet is lost, but I think they still look OK given the limitations of the printer. 

In 2mm we are at the limit of the photon's capabilities, but for a home printed wagon it's still pretty impressive stuff. 

Tom. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another project for the Photon. This is the water tank at Ropley that sits at the rear of the layout on top of the embankment. 

tank.jpg.1bf36faf4b0e92de2577a608757b1549.jpg

We'll see how the Photon copes with something a little larger than the Palvan!

Tom. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

First print of the tank. Some changes required to the CAD to improve the definition of the panel frames, but I think the X shapes have come out reasonably well. 

I also messed up the supports on this one and it ended up more or less welded to the base.

48A44C1C-3349-4BBB-827C-457F70E2EE00.jpeg.59c2f1367d7f591ecd55b423ceb416c3.jpeg

Tom. 

• Like 9

These do look really good Tom. What was the resin that you used again? I feel like I need to get a bottle. Although I get good prints generally they aren't as good as the ones I got in the beginning with Anycubics own resin.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav.

These were done with Phrozen ABS like grey obtained here: https://www.fepshop.com/shop/uv-resin/phrozen-abs-like-gray/

I quite like it, the detail is good and with it being a bit less viscous than the Anycubic stuff it does make clean up a bit easier. It does need a good mix prior to use though. 

Cheers,

Tom. 

It has been a little while since I've done any designing and printing but finally some mojo has returned and I offer this to the discussion

1898184921_HowldenLavCompTestPrint.jpg.f40fa827fa618c400686f9e7bb267002.jpg

This is a test print of an ex-GNR Howlden Lavatory Composite coach. The print is in two parts, the body and the underframe (with interior that cannot be seen here!). I've got a couple of minor issues to have to sort out - the worst being the lowermost beading right at the bottom of the body; this is incredibly thin and, as a result, has warped noticeably. Rather than try to resolve this, I've simply removed it from the CAD file as I don't believe that its absence will be noticed once painted. I also need to support the tops of the windows as they have a noticeable curve that shouldn't be there. The under frame also needs some modest adjustments but this is more of a support issue.

I think that it is showing potential as a future 'layout' coach and will form part of the 2.04pm Cambridge to King's Cross express on Hadley Wood. The whole train is a mishmash of ex-GNR coaches with four early Gresley types and a clerestory making up the other five vehicles. Unfortunately, all the remaining vehicles are slightly too long to be comfortably fitted within the build are on the photo - I'll see how I might be able to fit them in at a steeper angle (more than my usual 10 degrees) once I've designed the next coach.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, CF MRC said:

That looks excellent Steve.  It could also travel through CF!

Tim

If you'd like to model the 2.04pm Cambridge to King's Cross service (1934-37 formation), you're welcome to have some prints Tim; once I've designed the coaches and refined how I'm going to print them. The rest of the formation consists of:

- x2 D183 Non-Corridor Composite Brakes

- x2 D248D Thirds

- x1 D236 Clerestory Open Third

The basic formation is described in 'LNER Passenger Trains and Formations but additional thanks goes to John Smart who found the exact diagrams for me.

You'll need a C1 (or maybe one of the Royal Clauds) to pull it though. ;)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice work with the coach Steve!

When I was adding the solebar to the van I did consider adding a thin sacrificial layer which would be used for support attachment but could then be sanded away to give a smooth & level bottom edge. In the end the palvan didn't need it, but perhaps something to try for a longer vehicle like a coach?

Tom.  

• Thanks 1

I made this bell tower for a factory complex I’m working on. I also made a boiler house for the other end. Actually, the main reason I bought the printer was to help make brick arches, I’m finding all sorts of other uses for it as well.

WijcFBU.jpg

VI6knNi.jpg

There is an issue with th bottom of the wall curving up, I probably need to revisit exactly where the supports are, and my painting leaves something to be desired, but otherwise I’m pleased with how it’s come out.

9m7frYR.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, garethashenden said:

There is an issue with th bottom of the wall curving up, I probably need to revisit exactly where the supports are, and my painting leaves something to be desired, but otherwise I’m pleased with how it’s come out.

9m7frYR.jpg

That looks like the support was only on the left bottom corner of the buttress.  I'm working with ChituBox and I'm finding out that its automatic placements can be problematic and requires a good inspection before printing.  I have been running into problems like that recently and it's annoying to find out the problem after a print time of several hours. :-)

Jim.

4 hours ago, garethashenden said:

There is an issue with the bottom of the wall curving up, I probably need to revisit exactly where the supports are, and my painting leaves something to be desired, but otherwise I’m pleased with how it’s come out.

Impressive! Fortunately the curving up problem is something easily "scenicked" out when installing the building on a layout.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

You could also try to raise the print above 5mm from the print bed. I had a similar issue and found that setting the print to 7mm above all but removed the issue provided you also add plenty of support. 

Tom. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, TomE said:

Nice work with the coach Steve!

When I was adding the solebar to the van I did consider adding a thin sacrificial layer which would be used for support attachment but could then be sanded away to give a smooth & level bottom edge. In the end the palvan didn't need it, but perhaps something to try for a longer vehicle like a coach?

Tom.  

Thanks Tom. I was thinking of doing something similar for this coach. However, altering the diameter and location of the supports seems to have done the trick.

I've been working on the next coach for the formation an ex GN Diagram 183 Lavatory Composite Brake.

989757799_D183LavCompBrake14-2-19.jpg.4054aebba5483e911dd95c3a49f719d5.jpg

At a length of 58ft 1.5in (119.75mm), it just about fits within the photon's footprint with a 10 degree offset in the X axis and a 25 degree offset in the Z axis. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TomE said:

You could also try to raise the print above 5mm from the print bed. I had a similar issue and found that setting the print to 7mm above all but removed the issue provided you also add plenty of support. 

Tom. 

I think I need to use thicker supports too. I usually set the height to be 10mm, but once it adds the supports it changes to something like 1mm. More thicker supports should fix it, I just need to do it...

• Informative/Useful 1

Below is the latest incarnation of the Howlden Lavatory Composite

20190215_171710.jpg.b784bc2f3ad2dce172ca179b3771ce6c.jpg

The bottom of the body has bowed outwards slightly. I'll see if I can fix this with some hot water - if not I'll have to glue the two halves together once painted. I think I'll have to fit under-scale wheels to the bogies as the solebars are resting on the wheel treads at present. Due to the design of the prototype, I've got nowhere where I can get anymore clearance without having to widen the whole coach!

Also, here is the first test print of the Gresley D183 Lavatory Composite Brake.

20190215_172429.jpg.a23d6d8fc2c2d8baff0064a90c527dd8.jpg

Despite being much longer, this one seems to have resisted the temptation to warp a little better. I'll have to do some investigation into what I've done differently between the two coaches. Unfortunately the opposite corner is missing a section due to a slight positioning error on the build plate - I said that it was tight! I've got another attempt on the go, fingers crossed I've got it correctly positioned this time (there are literally microns of space to spare!).

Both of these coaches are useful designs for which I've found several 1930's formations that contained them.

Edited by Atso
  • Like 11

Early days in designing the next coach body (I really should've finished the D183 first though!). It is an ex-GNR Gresley D.248D Corridor Third which, at 54' over the vestibules, is somewhat shorter than the better know LNER 61' stock. Two of these will be needed for my model of the 2.04pm Cambridge to KX secondary express formation.

D248D Corridor Third.jpg

• Like 10

Some platelayer's huts from me this time, one LNER and one GWR.

First the LNER concrete hut.

1962681098_LNERHut1.jpg.dbbb63b65d307fa7aed4e0c25c2dae55.jpg

926604119_LNERHut2.jpg.22bc0f3f91dd60b20336609f81c933f8.jpg

Next the GWR one - the design puts the door at the back which is strange as it is not quite 5' high as a result!

981491957_GWRHut1.jpg.1333b3da5d4ad7e0ebd93dd40c42cdc0.jpg

2032188993_GWRHut2.jpg.430820ee1dd1fa8657c1eda646fe29ba.jpg

Both of these huts were printed with a sacrificial layer on the bottom which was then sanded smooth.

I'd love to do some brick build structures but my computer doesn't seem capable enough to render large numbers of bricks in CAD. For the time being, chimney's and bases will have to be the limit of my brickwork...

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
On 01/03/2019 at 17:54, Atso said:

Both of these huts were printed with a sacrificial layer on the bottom which was then sanded smooth.

Looks like it worked out well Steve! Did you print them perpendicular to the plate? 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TomE said:

Looks like it worked out well Steve! Did you print them perpendicular to the plate? 

Tom.  

Thanks Tom,

I used my usual 10 degree by 10 degree offset for these as I find printing 90 degrees to the build plate nearly always results in disappointment.

• Like 1