N gauge J94

TomJ

• RMweb Gold
On 22/03/2019 at 19:02, PMP said:

What do you do to make it run better? I’d like to see a before and after example. Mine has not responded at all to any modifications, and the six others I’ve had through my workshop all have the same issues . 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipy7Zn4N5kY

Lubrication and LOTS of running in is all. Still a bit noisy though by modern standards Paul 

My several (2 J94 plus NCB4, Yellow Peril, 71515 X2, weathered red, weathered green,) are a mixed lot as far as their innards is concerned.  Four are sound fitted - three professionally and the other by me, one has a Bachmann chip and one a LAISDCC chip - I can't remember what the others are.  However all perform satisfactorily and were a sight easier to chip than any of my Hornby/Dapol WDs.  The four sound-fitted don't make enough motor or gear noise to interfere with the sounds from the speaker - the one I fitted sounds a little rougher than the three Jeremy did but this is mostly down to my poor fitting of the speaker.

Two things improve them.  Each has had over an hour running round the club layout in each direction to run them in.  All bar one have as substantial a plug of lead as I could get into the smokebox inserted to give a bit of front end weight.  They cope with the industrial track on No Place as well as most and better than a number of "better" (by the measure of others) locos.  I got rid of my 64xx as it wouldn't stay on the track and my J50 is confined to the shed yard for example.  OTOH one of my "old" ie Hornby/Dapol WDS has developed a decided knock which sounds just like a wheel flat, and another is much noisier than any of the DJMs.

Not perhaps the best locos I have (the Dapol B4, Hattons P and Roco Glaskastern take a lot of beating) but more than adequate at a price point that isn't excessive.

To bring this back on topic I look forward to the N-gauge one coming out as I could do with four for Hawthorn Dene.  The Farish one has too many limitations and the colliery is mainly shunted by Dapol Panniers as the best of the "nearly suitables".   I just hope I haven't sold the layout before they arrive.

Les

Edited by Les1952

16 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

To bring this back on topic I look forward to the N-gauge one coming out as I could do with four for Hawthorn Dene.  The Farish one has too many limitations and the colliery is mainly shunted by Dapol Panniers as the best of the "nearly suitables".   I just hope I haven't sold the layout before they arrive.

I'd suggest that the NGS Hunslet shunter is a shoo-in certainty to become available before the DJM J94 and being an industrial shunter would be an excellent option for use in a colliery.

G

• Like 1

Graham,

I agree - especially the NCB two-tone green one for us in the North East - I've got two ordered.

However, the lack of a NE Region steam tank locomotive is a pity - I'll have to start on a kit or a 3D print.

Regards,

Roy 

6 minutes ago, R Marshall said:

I agree - especially the NCB two-tone green one for us in the North East - I've got two ordered.

However, the lack of a NE Region steam tank locomotive is a pity - I'll have to start on a kit or a 3D print.

For me it doesn't really matter whether it is steam or diesel but that the loco is appropriate. As such, as well as the NGS Hunslet, there are also suitable RTR diesels for performing shunting roles from Farish and Dapol.  

And yes, it is a pity there is nothing RTR for NE steam tank locos but I understand that there is quite a choice of kits - AtsoCad do 3D body prints of LNER N2, C12, V1, V3 and Y5 and there are white metal body kits from Langley Models of LNER L3(L1), N2 and N7/3. However, obtaining suitable motor chassis are often the stumbling block. But it is possible to build a kit and mount it on a RTR chassis as I did with this SR Z class heavy steam tank shunting loco:

DSC_7012.JPG.d9ea3ac79e238880e132f38a7f9faa49.JPG

G

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, grahame said:

I'd suggest that the NGS Hunslet shunter is a shoo-in certainty to become available before the DJM J94 and being an industrial shunter would be an excellent option for use in a colliery.

G

That is why I have four on order.....

Les

For me it doesn't really matter whether it is steam or diesel but that the loco is appropriate. As such, as well as the NGS Hunslet, there are also suitable RTR diesels for performing shunting roles from Farish and Dapol.  

And yes, it is a pity there is nothing RTR for NE steam tank locos but I understand that there is quite a choice of kits - AtsoCad do 3D body prints of LNER N2, C12, V1, V3 and Y5 and there are white metal body kits from Langley Models of LNER L3(L1), N2 and N7/3. However, obtaining suitable motor chassis are often the stumbling block. But it is possible to build a kit and mount it on a RTR chassis as I did with this SR Z class heavy steam tank shunting loco:

G

Lovely but there were only about three 0-8-0 tanks built for colliery service....

Likewise not one of the kits you mentioned (and I had an Atso V3 running on Hawthorn Dene at Warley) is an 0-6-0...

I only get away with the Dapol panniers as a few 57xx went into colliery service, though none in the North or North East, while the panniers in Durham and Northumberland were ex-Barry Railway.  The Jinty I run is "on loan from 50A York" and is numbered appropriately.

OTOH over 300 of the 484 WD saddletanks found their way into colliery service, making them the most numerous class on the NCB by an order of magnitude.

Les

G

Graham,

I read the article on the construction of that locomotive with interest - great model.

I didn't mean it to come across as a moan - there are lots of great models to choose from - the new Thompson carriages look superb. I'm really content - I've added to my UM D20 and 2 x J26s, so the next step is a kit of some sort, or a 3D print. I'm also pleased with the Etched Pixels Thompson set I'm working on. After that, the next challenge is some Bill Bedford etches of Conflat Ls. Not to mention my first two turnouts from Britsh Finescale.

So, not a moan at all, just not enough time in the day, especially with 12" to the foot models taking up some of that time!

Here's a picture of my D20 with latest tender.

Regards,

Roy

62372,_23_02.19_(1).jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Agreed Roy, producing full sized kits of parts from the fully assembled model is quite time consuming, especially if you have to take all the notes as well.:rolleyes:

Your 2mm stuff looks to be just the distraction needed to keep you otherwise occupied.

With apologies for straying slightly OT, but intended as encouragement in both scales.

Regards,

John (from the lathe bench)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brit70053 said:

Agreed Roy, producing full sized kits of parts from the fully assembled model is quite time consuming, especially if you have to take all the notes as well.:rolleyes:

Your 2mm stuff looks to be just the distraction needed to keep you otherwise occupied.

With apologies for straying slightly OT, but intended as encouragement in both scales.

Regards,

John (from the lathe bench)

John,

Aye, but at least we've got a J72 in that scale!

Regards,

Roy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Another possibility is the Farish class 14—widely used in the north-east coalfield but probably out of Les' period.

Out of my modelled period on Hwathorn Dene (but within it for my OO shunting plank NO PLACE), though I did get to drive D9555 part of the way from Burradon to Backworth.  When I asked the real driver how you stopped the train he replied "put it into reverse, the brakes don't work."  It didn't take me long to give him back his seat at the controls..... 

Les

• Like 3

• AY Mod locked this topic