Old French shop fronts, with music.

ianp

I thought I was the only one who listened to this type of music. I even used to use a CD as backgroud for some of my layouts at exhibitions.

Managed to screen print all the shop fronts, might give me some inspiration for my artwork.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

I thought I was the only one who listened to this type of music. I even used to use a CD as backgroud for some of my layouts at exhibitions.

Managed to screen print all the shop fronts, might give me some inspiration for my artwork.

I love the typefaces of the shop signs. Are there any good books about French typography?

Thanks Ian

These are a really good source, particularly of some of the building details like street drains as well as the shops themsleves. It's hard to date the typography, especially as some of it is probably deliberately "retro" but I'd hazard a guess at mainly1960s to 1980s. Some of them, such as the Cooperative Agricole are paticularly interesting as it looks like the original or early post war signage. 

Typography is a good way of "placing" the viewer in a particular country (or era) as are certain arcihtectural details such as the shape of arch commonly used for doors and windows. .

There's quite a good reference to typical French typography here https://typography.guru/list/region/french-fonts-typefaces/

It doesn't go as far as giving the TrueType files but most of them can probably be got by using the names.   

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
There's quite a good reference to typical French typography here https://typography.guru/list/region/french-fonts-typefaces/

It doesn't go as far as giving the TrueType files but most of them can probably be got by using the names.   

Thanks for that. I'd not come across 'Buvez de ce whisky que le patron juge fameux' as a French equivalent of 'The quick brown fox'. It's more concise than 'Zoë ma grande fille veut que je boive de ce whisky dont je ne veux pas'.

• Like 1