The Fiftieth Anniversary 6th January 2019

'CHARD

Oh dear, Maybon, a new spelling ... and was he a "vicar"?  Surely a Minister.  

The Rev Maben was led away, but he wasn't actually arrested.   Later the police were given tea and sandwiches at the manse.

Bruce

post-5524-0-49666200-1543334720_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Oh dear, Maybon, a new spelling ... and was he a "vicar"?  Surely a Minister.  

The Rev Maben was led away, but he wasn't actually arrested.   Later the police were given tea and sandwiches at the manse.

Bruce

attachicon.gif017.jpg

And some medicinal fortification of the malted variety I'm sure!!!

Actually on a more serious note, can anyone recall the name of the uniformed sergeant in the photo? There were some right characters based in the Hawick polis at the time inter alia Davie Todd and Alec Ewen, the former being an avid railway modeller, not that I ever had the occasion to meet them whilst they were doing their day job!

Actually on a more serious note, can anyone recall the name of the uniformed sergeant in the photo? There were some right characters based in the Hawick polis at the time inter alia Davie Todd and Alec Ewen, the former being an avid railway modeller, not that I ever had the occasion to meet them whilst they were doing their day job!

I've been party to a discussion about this interlude relatively recently where, I think, one of the serving officers' sons contributed; let me check back and see if there's a record of names or any leads for us to follow....

• Like 1

The Officers are - in uniform, Sergeant Albert Murdoch; in civvies, Detective Sergeant Bobby Tait and behind them Detective Constable Andrew Farquhar.

More detail about this night will be in the first-hand account written by Brydon Maben's son, Police Constable Graham Maben who was present that night - in the next issue of The Waverley. It's a cracking read and a worthwhile reason to join the Waverley Route Heritage Association!