Hornby 8f motor

It is very annoying that they have stopped producing this motor as a spare, especially considering there are so many current models that use it. I have been looking for one for a grange and another for an 8f, but they are also used on Britannias, Black 5s, Clans and the old Kings.

Considering they are still manufacturing/buying in these motors for models they are producing like the recent 70013 models, it is annoying that they won't get some more to sell as spares. Surely there is profit in this when they have been selling them for £15-£20!

Who said they had stopped making them? Last I heard was that they were just out of stock. Hornby's spares situation is a mess thanks to the decisions of the previous management. If you talk to them, you find that they are well aware of this, but you can't just throw a magic switch, and put the situation right overnight. We just need to grow some patience.

Who said they had stopped making them? Last I heard was that they were just out of stock. Hornby's spares situation is a mess thanks to the decisions of the previous management. If you talk to them, you find that they are well aware of this, but you can't just throw a magic switch, and put the situation right overnight. We just need to grow some patience.

Hornby do , they show no stock and discontinued.

Thanks for your replys. I talked to Hornby on the phone a week ago and he said they don't for see any stock coming in the future. I'm going to try a king motor. Will let you all know how it goes. I have a dead king. But I know the motor is still good.

It is very difficult to understand why they haven't been able to fix this particular problem given that I think this motor (X9108) has been out of stock for almost a year, and in that time we have had brand new 8fs, Granges, Britannias and Black 5s (all of which use the X9108 motor). How difficult can it really be to buy a few more of these motors and put them in a box with all the other stuff coming from China!

Edited by MatthewCarty

• 1 month later...

Just an update Well after a break in the Canadian cold I Was able to get in to the shed and fit the king motor to the 8f. It fitted no issue. The only issue I had was at crawl speed it would judder. After going back and forth making sure I had not missed anything obvious I had a thought for that the magnet in the motor was too strong. So I was able to remove and swap It with the original one from the defective motor. Hey presto it works as good as new.