Parkside 13 ton hopper wagon

it's-er

I understand they are awaiting transfers/decals from a certain source that at the moment has supply difficulties. I have several of these on pre-order with a very reliable UK supplier.

Personally I would rather the kit be sold without decals, and then pester Mr. Isherwood at CCT for a comprehensive sheet. My opinion only.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568
additional text

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Your WD needs a fire iron rack. :prankster:

That's the thing that sticks out like a sore thumb I'm afraid.

Look here to see what I mean. Well worth doing.

http://www.hall-royd-junction.co.uk/Hall_Royd_Model/layout_39.html

Jason

Hi Jason

The Austerity is still very much a work in progress, and just happened to be on my bench during the photoshoot for the article on the construction of the wagon. More details on the progress on it coming soon. 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting picture of the kit for sale.  Rather strange to undersell it by not having a picture of the finished model complete with transfers on the packaging!  (From earlier in the thread I understood it was to come with transfers?)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 26power said:

Thanks for posting picture of the kit for sale.  Rather strange to undersell it by not having a picture of the finished model complete with transfers on the packaging!  (From earlier in the thread I understood it was to come with transfers?)

This is the photo they are using on publicity.

I'm surprised they haven't used it on the box, but it may have been slightly rushed out.

image.png.eb154e5cd134d7d682f0c4024d470e61.png

https://www.hattons.co.uk/684187/parkside_models_pc90_13_ton_br_eastern_region_steel_body_hopper_wagon_plastic_kit/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Somewhere earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that part of the delay in releasing this kit was caused by having to await the arrival of the transfers.

The photo of the built-and-painted but not lettered model on the packaging suggests that to be so. No doubt the covers had to be ordered from the printers before they turned up.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

Have you built it yet?  Any pictures or comments about the build?

Thanks!

I have got a rolling rigid chassis in P4.  I just need to add the brake details and buffers (which I am replacing with white metal versions).

Personally, I’d describe it as a bit of curate’s egg: good in parts.  I built the 4mm version more as a curiosity  than anything and won’t be doing any more.  I intend to get a couple of the 7mm ones next year.

On the positive, getting a rolling chassis in P4 without trying to bodge suspension/compensation is a positive and so I am sure people will be able to build it nice and square in OO and get a good runner.  Under frame detail isn’t bad and I like the detail of the wooden hopper doors.

There is a generous sheet of decals included from Modelmaster, which look excellent, in good register and include a range of markings for different traffics (including sugar beet - who knew?).

I am less impressed with the multi part hopper body and it seems to me that not producing it as a single part is an opportunity missed.  This being said it’s easier than than the 21 ton hoppers from the same stable (which incidentally build into very nice wagons…I digress).

I will be posting the finished thing on my Instagram in the next week when I get around to adding details, which you can find by looking for ‘railfreightrelic’ if you are interested in seeing a bit more.  I have posted a picture of the sprues there too if you would like to see those.

hope that helps?

Edited by Nick-L
Spelling
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Nick-L said:

I have got a rolling rigid chassis in P4.  I just need to add the brake details and buffers (which I am replacing with white metal versions).

Personally, I’d describe it as a bit of curate’s egg: good in parts.  I built the 4mm version more as a curiosity  than anything and won’t be doing any more.  I intend to get a couple of the 7mm ones next year.

On the positive, getting a rolling chassis in P4 without trying to bodge suspension/compensation is a positive and so I am sure people will be able to build it nice and square in OO and get a good runner.  Under frame detail isn’t bad and I like the detail of the wooden hopper doors.

There is a generous sheet of decals included from Modelmaster, which look excellent, in good register and include a range of markings for different traffics (including sugar beet - who knew?).

I am less impressed with the multi part hopper body and it seems to me that not producing it as a single part is an opportunity missed.  This being said it’s easier than than the 21 ton hoppers from the same stable (which incidentally build into very nice wagons…I digress).

I will be posting the finished thing on my Instagram in the next week when I get around to adding details, which you can find by looking for ‘railfreightrelic’ if you are interested in seeing a bit more.  I have posted a picture of the sprues there too if you would like to see those.

hope that helps?

Thanks Nick!  Good photos!

• Thanks 1

Curate’s egg is a good description - good and crisp and looks the part, but completely flat axle boxes are a let down.

The style of instructions are very different to traditional parkside. Lots of diagrams (good) but a bit vague and missing details like length to cut the handrails.

Overall though a nice kit and well done to Peco for bringing it to market.

Mike

• Like 1

I should also add that recesses for the upper handrail brackets are not present on my sample, although the instructions imply that they should be there.  Somewhat curiously there is ‘ghosting’ of them on the moulding on my sample, as you can see on the sprue photo, yet they have no relief.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I've been building 3 of these and thought that they were really good. The small details were awkward for my eyesight but worth it. They assembled squarely with no problem. The only difficulty I can see is how to provide any weight without hiding it under a load if you want to run them empty. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Tony K

2 hours ago, TonyK said:

Hi

I've been building 3 of these and thought that they were really good. The small details were awkward for my eyesight but worth it. They assembled squarely with no problem. The only difficulty I can see is how to provide any weight without hiding it under a load if you want to run them empty. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Tony K

Is it too late to file off the door details on the underside and add some lead flashing under the doors?  You can't really notice at normal viewing distance...DSCF5641.JPG.0f3ab28d5aed790632ea5cf68fb3d1ee.JPG

Edited by Axlebox
picture added
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1