BRM Express - 30th November 2018

Phil Parker

• Administrators

BRMexpress.jpg

The latest issue of BRM Express, or free electronic newsletter is out tomorrow. It's a big Warley round-up with loads to read and even more to watch.

The Andy'n'Phil video crew have been doing our thing, resulting in over an hour of exciting interviews to watch.

In this issue.

• News from the trade.
  • Interviews with trade exhibitors at Warley - Featuring Accurascale, Bachmann, Hattons, Heljan KR Models, Kytes Lights, Model Railway Scenery, Rails of Sheffield, Revolution, T-gauge, Train Tech, Woodland Scenics.
  • Phil's blog - What caught my eye at the show?
  • Interviews with the people behind The Great Model Railway Challenge - staring Aberdeen MRC, The Basingstoke Bodgers, Stern Steve, Kathy Millatt, Producer Pat Doyle, Simon Kohler and modellers brought into the hobby by the TV show. 
  • Practical: Building a plywood baseboard.

If you don't get BRM Express, sign up here, and it will appear magically into your In-Box tomorrow and then twice a month. Don't forget this is a free publication, so what have you got to lose?

• Like 4

• Administrators

Our dignity in that Marklin My world video. :D

Fortunately, that one isn't in there. Too much else for people to watch!

Your interrogation of the trade is a bit exciting though. Paxman would think, "He's being a bit harsh" in a couple of them.

• Administrators

Which of the e-newsletter options does one have to tick to get BRM Express?

Go for "All aspects of railway modelling" - it covers everything.

I'll remind the web people that we really need to re-write that list...

• RMweb Gold

Your interrogation of the trade is a bit exciting though. Paxman would think, "He's being a bit harsh" in a couple of them.

There's just one thing viewers need to know: "Did you threaten to overrule him?"

I trust we won't need to ask 14 times - and still not get a straight answer ... .

Joking aside, this stuff promises to be interesting - I guess I'll just have to see if there's any way of signing up for BRM Express directly from this site.

Like (it seems) a number of other members of this site, I've been having "fun" trying to work out how to get BRM Express since GDPR kicked in - this isn't helped by the fact it's quite a while since I last did anything with my "World of Railways" account (that is, apart from click on some flag labelled "forgotten password" a number of months back - so guess what's happened in the meantime).

OK, in my defence, I have had rather a lot to deal with recently - so trying to remember some login details that were last really used "in anger" when Warners sold "Ally Pally" tickets direct to people like me might not be my #1 priority right now.

I'm not making excuses - just stating facts.

Huw.

• Administrators

I guess I'll just have to see if there's any way of signing up for BRM Express directly from this site.

Yes there is - you click on the link at the top of the page and set up an account.

If you can't remember your old login then set up a new one. I'm sure if there is a duplicate account, it won't be the end of the world.

• RMweb Premium

A plea for help I guess from those in the know / on the inside: have I missed it?  Noting that there's article in today's e-newsletter on plywood baseboards which I'd be very interested in seeing, I've logged into my account and updated my preferences accordingly to start receiving the e-newsletter, but have only been able to do so in the past few minutes (when people who can have gone home for the weekend).  I'm therefore wondering if I've missed this edition - and the article I'm after.  If I have, is there another way of accessing the content?

It sounds like there's some fun stuff too, but I'm focusing: it may have taken 40 years for me to realise that failure to ever build a proper baseboard has probably hindered progress on any of my many layout ideas, but I'm getting there.  Mind you, the amount of paper I've drawn on over the decades could also have made up a decent quantity of wood too...

• RMweb Premium

I can't work out how to post a link to the whole newsletter, but this is the article you wanted:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/information/how-to-build-a-model-railway-baseboard

Best wishes

Andrew

Thank you - I still have my print copies of the Edgeworth supplements (I thought it was a good series at the time), so I should dig them out too.  I'm sure I'll have some more detailed questions, but those would be for a different thread.  Keith.

Glad to see that myself and my dad didn't let our fatigue at the end of a LONG day affect how we were on camera! Thanks for the chance to speak to you Phil and Andy, hopefully I should be able to share some progress on my first layout soon! :D

• Like 1

• Administrators

Glad to see that myself and my dad didn't let our fatigue at the end of a LONG day affect how we were on camera! Thanks for the chance to speak to you Phil and Andy, hopefully I should be able to share some progress on my first layout soon! :D

Fatique from carrying all those bags!

It was a pleasure to see you and thanks for taking the time to speak to us on camera.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thank you - I still have my print copies of the Edgeworth supplements (I thought it was a good series at the time), so I should dig them out too.  I'm sure I'll have some more detailed questions, but those would be for a different thread.  Keith.

And that thread would be this one. (Glad you liked the series!)

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately, that one isn't in there. Too much else for people to watch!

Interesting questioning but hardly  up to John Humphreys'  or Paxman's rottweiler style.  Mind you he did drag quite lot out of  Accuracsale and that was an achievement with those folk!

And I really liked Phil's presentation of the Bismarck but I was waiting to find out how much the etched kit would cost  :O 

• Administrators

On a related point, is there an easy way of accessing issues from before we signed up?

Not at the moment. The e-mailer software doesn't store them in an easily accessible way, unfortunately. One for future developments. 

• Administrators

Interesting questioning but hardly  up to John Humphreys'  or Paxman's rottweiler style.  Mind you he did drag quite lot out of  Accuracsale and that was an achievement with those folk!

And I really liked Phil's presentation of the Bismarck but I was waiting to find out how much the etched kit would cost  :O 

And etched Bismark would be truly terrifyingly expensive, both in cost and time to assemble. It is an amazing model though.

Bismark1.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I foresee that Bismark kit being launched as a partwork in January!

Heres the weird thing - I have an account already on the website (as a subscriber), and I seem to have the boxes checked to receive the newsletters, but havnt had one for ages! I certainly didnt receive this months BRM express. Whats gone wrong?

• Administrators

Check your Spam folders. I have issues with the newsletter sent to my personal account going in there. MS Outlook Grrrr.

If you can't find it, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll forward a copy (Once. This is not a replacement for signing up).

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi.  Has there been a BRM Express since 30th Nov 2018?  Something I read about the 2019 Cakebox Challenge suggested there has been - if so it looks like I didn't manage to register correctly when I tried updating my preferences in my World-of-Railways account at the end of November as I've not had anything.  I asked the question on the cakebox challenge thread as I couldn't find a generic BRM Express topic / thread to use but should probably have posted it here instead, sorry.  I have checked for spam - in my email and kitchen cupboards...

• Administrators

Hi.  Has there been a BRM Express since 30th Nov 2018?  Something I read about the 2019 Cakebox Challenge suggested there has been - if so it looks like I didn't manage to register correctly when I tried updating my preferences in my World-of-Railways account at the end of November as I've not had anything.  I asked the question on the cakebox challenge thread as I couldn't find a generic BRM Express topic / thread to use but should probably have posted it here instead, sorry.  I have checked for spam - in my email and kitchen cupboards...

Several - PM me your e-mail address and I'll see if I can get this checked out.