Ready made baseboards

Moria15

• RMweb Gold

Greetings all..

sorry if this is the wrong place, but am getting ready to start my new layout having moved back to the UK.

I did a lot of searching on RMWeb but haven't really found any recommendations as such.

For various reasons, I am going to want to use ready made baseboards by one of the many companies out there.  Having read lots of web sites and seen various materials used in these ranging from laser cut ply to furniture grade MDF, I am hoping that perhaps someone who has used one of these companies may be in a position to recommend a company to me from their experience, or at least offer some guidance.

I guess the important thing is that they will need to be a non standard size and in one area, there will hopefully be a cut out for a valley/river bridge.

I can supply the company with a track plan to show what I am after.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Graham

• Like 1

Greetings all..

sorry if this is the wrong place, but am getting ready to start my new layout having moved back to the UK.

I did a lot of searching on RMWeb but haven't really found any recommendations as such.

For various reasons, I am going to want to use ready made baseboards by one of the many companies out there.  Having read lots of web sites and seen various materials used in these ranging from laser cut ply to furniture grade MDF, I am hoping that perhaps someone who has used one of these companies may be in a position to recommend a company to me from their experience, or at least offer some guidance.

I guess the important thing is that they will need to be a non standard size and in one area, there will hopefully be a cut out for a valley/river bridge.

I can supply the company with a track plan to show what I am after.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Graham

I have never used ready made boards, but I would recommend drawing up a full size track plan on a roll of old wallpaper or lining paper so that you are quite clear how big the boards should be. Any approximations of ideas and dimensions might end up badly!

aac 

• Like 1

Probably the key thing you need to decide is whether weight is important. Will you be wanting to dismantle and move the layout quite frequently? Or will it stay at home in the same place (at least until you might move again)? 

That will then focus you on those manufacturers, or at least those materials, supports and methods of joining boards, better suited to your needs.

My only experience was of White Rose, and that was not for my layout but for my nephew, and that was many years ago, so cannot help with a decision between any of them.

• RMweb Premium

Check out the Heaton Lodge Junction thread - I believe he used White Rose Modelworks and he has several pre-made boards making up a 180ft model railway.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110677-heaton-lodge-junction/page-3

A company I have used and the boards are as good twelve or so years later as when bought, solid and well made good service as well 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another plus 1 for Tim Horn boards.

I've used them fro my own layout (DL) and also for work purposes.

With practice, I'm now down to making a board in 35 minutes. It takes longer to remove the packaging!

Although he is rather busy if you want any bespoke boards making.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Hi

I have used the baseboard kits supplied by Model Railway Solutions, one side of the layout had non standard baseboards, which they were more than happy to produce. There premises between Bournemouth and Poole is well worth a visit, and they do have some interesting ideas. One of my baseboards has a hinged lifting section which they built to the very finest parameters.

post-8832-0-80367600-1543563369_thumb.jpeg

Couldn’t recommend them enough

• Like 8

1/ model rail solutions

2/ grange and hodder

3/ white rose modelworks

4/ Tim horn

Those are the contenders for my new boards. I’ve gone with 3/ this time. They will be fully built delivery in 4-6 weeks. I know of a mate who’s ordered Tim horn ones, similar time for delivery

My boards came from Model Railway Solutions of Poole. They came in kit form, but are very easily constructed - a 6x2 finished in one hour. A friend purchased from them and they spent three days at his house constructing the boards - so well worth a call or visit.

[/url]100_0371 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr">45660768212_4f46ea9e4e_t.jpg100_0371 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 1