LNER Gresley V4

So I’m trying to Build a OO gauge LNER V4 from scratch or more so lit bashing. I live In the US so getting a V4 Model would be hard and I don’t think any manufacturers make a RTR V4 so I decided why not do it myself. I’m going to be using a Dapol V2 Kit as a base for the Loco, I’m going to Have to scratch build a tender since the V4 and the V2 have completely different tenders.

I’m also going to try and scratch build a 2-6-2 chassis. Over all this seems like a simple project, only time will tell.

Edited by Joshua Gonzalez

I bought a built kit which later suffered a serious accident courtesy of one of our cats, It is fitted onto a Hornby Ivatt mogul chassis with consequent compromises regarding wheel spacing and diameter. I had intended to repair it but it's been around for a number of years untouched so it will probably never be done.

I was fortunate enough to buy a kit-built V4 at a toy fair some years ago, which is a lovely model, though Tony Wright had to sort out the running and a broken crank pin for me.

I believe the kit was by ABS Models and it is worth watching out for.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for one then.

I bought a built kit which later suffered a serious accident courtesy of one of our cats, It is fitted onto a Hornby Ivatt mogul chassis with consequent compromises regarding wheel spacing and diameter. I had intended to repair it but it's been around for a number of years untouched so it will probably never be done.

That’s quite a shame, the same thing happened with my Great Western hall, I was able to buy a spare body for it, using an ivatt mogul chassis sounds like a smart idea, I’ll see if I can find one and hoping that adding a rear wheel won’t be a hassle and won’t ruin the quality of the running.

• RMweb Gold

Without having all the dimensions to hand to check, I would expect a Bachmann V1/3 to be a better starting point as a chassis for this project.

So far as I can recall, the V4s were coupled with a standard LNER tender so that should be readily available also as an r-t-r item.

The cab can perhaps also be modified from another loco, just leaving boiler and firebox to create. Suitable domes and chimneys definitely out there.

Without having all the dimensions to hand to check, I would expect a Bachmann V1/3 to be a better starting point as a chassis for this project.

So far as I can recall, the V4s were coupled with a standard LNER tender so that should be readily available also as an r-t-r item.

The cab can perhaps also be modified from another loco, just leaving boiler and firebox to create. Suitable domes and chimneys definitely out there.

i have thought about buying a Bachmann v1/3 chassis as i wouldnt need to create a new chassis from near scratch, and i have thought about just buying a standard tender as i wouldnt need to create one from scratch. thank you for the advice

Why not just buy a set of etches from Mike Edge, you will just need a suitable diameter brass tube for the boiler and the readily available castings. Mike can even supply a resin cast chimney and dome.

Will save you a lot of fabrication time.

it would save a lot time. Ill go to his website and see what i can get.

i have thought about buying a Bachmann v1/3 chassis as i wouldnt need to create a new chassis from near scratch, and i have thought about just buying a standard tender as i wouldnt need to create one from scratch. thank you for the advice

There is a significant difference in the coupled wheelbase of these locos. The V3 is 16ft 3in and the V4 is 12ft 10in.

p.s. The Ivatt/Standard 2MTs are 13ft 9in with 5ft wheels.

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I was fortunate enough to acquire a kit-built example at a toy fair some years ago. 

A pretty little loco but it isn't currently a well-known class so I don't expect an RTR version in the near future.  Maybe when the A1STL achieve progress has been made on the new build loco?