Chiltern Railways DVT

• RMweb Gold

If you use masking tape to mark the vertical and horizontal limits of the vents, (I would then mark the vents using pencil too) then use a very small drill in a pin vice, you can drill several holes in the bodyside in a line, then use a sharp blade to join them together.

Hi I'm trying to work out how to cut the vents in the side of a DVT for Chiltern Railways the vents were put in I believe to help with the cooling of the APU.As always any help is very welcome

.attachicon.gif36163748942_352507c316_b.jpg

Hello William

I suggest you use a sharp blade and a scribe tool and score some lines along wherever you require them.

HTH?

My personal preference - to carefully cut out the small (roughly square) apertures where the vents will be, then insert an interference-fit square of pre-scribed plasticard in each.  Note - referring to photos of different DVTs, I'm not sure if the model already comes with the two square vents nearer the cab.

For the vented door aperture, I would fill the window with a square of plastic the same thickness as the body, file smooth, then drill and slot the six horizontal louvres with a file, then put a backing piece of plasticard on the inside of the shell.

Edited by 'CHARD

An alternative would be to cut out the door and have the replacement panel 3D printed complete with the vents then glue it in place

Now that is a really good idea no idea how I'd get the replacement panel made but well worth thinking about. I had wondered about trying some kind of decal for the vents?

Edited by stock_2007

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold

I’m thinking of doing a Chiltern Trains DVT and interested in how people have done both the vents and exhaust on the roof. Getting a 3D printed replacement door with the vents moulded in could be the way to go but if your going to do that, do the exhaust vent as well.

Found someone on e-bay selling  plain white bodies for 99p each so picked up 2 we can but try

• RMweb Premium

Now that is a really good idea no idea how I'd get the replacement panel made but well worth thinking about. I had wondered about trying some kind of decal for the vents?

I used decals on my yellow NR DVT, but these vents are a bit large for that method.

I would cut holes as detailed above and then use plasticard fillets to fill in the angled sections.

I like the idea of 3D printing, but matching the curve/tumblehome could be fun.

My personal preference - to carefully cut out the small (roughly square) apertures where the vents will be, then insert an interference-fit square of pre-scribed plasticard in each.  Note - referring to photos of different DVTs, I'm not sure if the model already comes with the two square vents nearer the cab.

The vents were certainly on my base model DVTs (that are now yellow obviously!) in my avatar.

post-408-0-46275200-1543620015_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Just as a slight word of caution, the posted link to the petersspares DVT is actually to a Mk4 DVT rather than the Mk3b design that Chiltern use. Just make sure you select the correct bodyshell, assuming Peters spares have the Hornby Mk3b DVT body available.  IIRC it was quite a pricey item when it came out.   

I've been able to pick up a Wrexham & Shropshire DVT to save on a full paint job once the vents are done! Has anyone any ideas on how I can take the wording off the DVT sides?

T-cut and a cotton bud usually removes all printed on wording, just rub softly and stop once youve removed the branding you dont want, whilst checking occasionally to see how much is removed

NL