Decent trees for OO scale?

I'm probably not capable of making my own OO scale trees and wondered if you might have any recommendations for a decent tree to purchase? Seen a few online but they do look a bit poor. I know almost ten years ago when I built a layout someone suggested a particular tree which came from America and they were amazing. Do you think I can remember? Not a chance.

• RMweb Gold

The problem with shop bought trees is they are really too small.

If you have deep pockets, you could try 4D model shop. They make architectural models but also do trees. They can be commissioned to make something a bit more to scale.

In the end I developed a technique using florists wire to make my own. They take around an hour per tree. Would you be interested in some step by step instructions on this thread to have a go yourself? If so, I’ll post a few instructions on this thread tonight.

post-7653-0-50020000-1543585355_thumb.jpeg

Hi

Many bought trees are very unrealistic.  They are often all the same size, they can look very plastic and unnatural.   It has already been commented that they can also be too small - or at least look the wrong shape for their size.  My greatest concern I think is that they just don't look like real trees.  

A few suggestions ...

a)  Go for a walk!!!   Enjoy looking at some trees - notice the different shapes associated with different species.  Look at the variety sometimes in quite a small area.  Note that green is not one shade!!  Look at all the different colours - even in the summer - green has many different shades - yes - dark and lighter but also yellowish greens, bluish greens etc.   Notice how often with a real tree you can see daylight through the tree - in other words its not all solid foliage - have a look and see how many bought trees model this. 

b)  Do a Google image search for specific species e.g. oak, ash, scots pine - so that you can base a model on what the real thing looks like. 

c)  Decide what time of the year you want to model.  Deciduous trees in the winter don't have any leaves!!

d)  Think about the area you are modelling - does it have largely one type of tree e.g. largely evergreens - or a mix

e)  Have a look at some layouts that have a reputation for fantastic trees / plants.  Have a look for example at the County Gate website.   Look at the modelling methods then scenery then modelling trees and plants sections

http://www.009.cd2.com/

f)  Have a go at making your own trees - it's really not that hard and you will get better at making them - there's lots of advice out there including some useful videos on Youtube.     Again look at County Gate website for some ideas.   There are lots of natural materials like sea moss that make great shrubs and trees - particularly when stuck to real pieces of natural root or small twigs and branches.  There is a huge range of flocks and leaf materials available that will give you the different shades of green I mentioned. 

f)  Try typing sea moss model railways into Google and do an image search - that will I think raise the bar a bit for what you might want to achieve!!

Finally have a look at this shot from one of my older layouts.  I'm sure I can improve on this and I have seen better trees on other layouts but I don't think it's too bad - and I think for me anyway it looks much better than the majority of bought trees.    Have fun making them too - you don't get this with bought ones!! 

Having said all of this there are some good commercial trees available - they can be quite expensive though.

gallery_7099_799_20139.jpg

Edited by PaulWarb
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Do you want quality trees?

https://mbrmodel.eu/

Easy to order from and fast too. However, not cheap at all but worth it imho.

There's now an UK stockist for these in a model shop I can't remember off the top of my head at the moment.

Edit. Found it https://www.aandhmodels.co.uk/mbr-trees-1939-c.asp

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

I have used many brands of tree and been more, or less, happy with them all.  But one brand I came back to time and again because of the range of sizes and species was Heki.  Not widely available in the UK though some model shops will stock some of their products.  But try a search engine and see what you get rather than me implying any specific retailer recommendation.

For a simple approach, go into the garden and cut a few small suitable branches.  If you're lucky you may even find some with 'foliage' which may be suitable for OO although there isn't really a 'size' as trees very greatly in model form as in life.  At the very least, they can fill in alongside commercial examples to make a forest.

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

Find the RM Web blog for Little Muddle and read through the 131 pages (132 by the time the site minder approves my post) for real looking lush UK rural landscape with lots of trees. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120848-little-muddle/page-131&do=findComment&comment=3384015. I believe he Kevin talks about his methods at one point or another.

• 2 weeks later...

For a simple approach, go into the garden and cut a few small suitable branches.  

Brian.

Definitely, agree. If you have a garden, try Weglia. Within a year you will have a supply of woody trees.

http://thesulzer27.blogspot.com/2017/08/tree-making.html

I would encourage you to try to make your own as it really will make a difference.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for taking so long to reply to this posting, but unfortunately I don't have a camera at present!

Now my son is back from holiday he has taken a few shots for me on his cellphone, showing some home made wire trees on my model.

Most are still in winter garb, as I'm out of suitable scenic stuff, and living in Africa, model shops are a bit thin on the ground.

The photos are a bit cruel, but my object is to show that making trees isn't too difficult, given time, patience, and a few beers.

Why not have a bash?

post-3961-0-56816900-1546521952_thumb.jpg

post-3961-0-66998600-1546522123_thumb.jpg

post-3961-0-88215100-1546522282_thumb.jpg

post-3961-0-60729300-1546522409_thumb.jpg

• Like 2