Cadoxton Quay

RusselBridge2017

9 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I’d be especially interested in how you did the gunnels 

Thanks for your interest Rob, they are really just the Hornby PGA cut down with detail removed then plastic strip added to the body and almost all detail removed from the chassis.

I found a really good article by Paul James on the real life conversion, but I cannot remember where it was, see attached Word doc and photo.

HGA.jpg

Gunnell.docx

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Progress on my Railroom for Cadoxton Quay, a slice of South Wales.

My 1950 Marley garage is looking more hospitable for a model railway. All being well I will have bench work finished Easter time and a 27 by 8 foot space.

On current rate of progress than means track laying by 2023, lol.... Follow this space I will keep you informed for here.

Cadox1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RusselBridge2017 said:

Yes only 25mm polystyrene. The boarding up to enclose the space has helped a little too. 

More concern for me is not the temperature but how to keep the track clean for decent running, garages are not good places for airbourne grime?

I suppose it depends on what else the garage is used for. If it's just the railway and you can seal up gaps, then there is no reason it should be any dirtier than elsewhere. If you have to share it, then yes.

My railway has exclusive use of my shed. I insulated like you and laid vinyl flooring which I keep clean. I don't do dusty jobs such as wood sawing and so far all is ok.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/02/2021 at 15:00, RusselBridge2017 said:

As always I cannot just have one project at a time.

For the Quay side of a layout without any baseboards yet I am working on a distressed Mariners Chapel, its basis is an old Airfix church.

chapel.jpg

You have a great ability for this type of modelling, it’s a skill that not everyone posses (and you have an abundance of it). Thank you for the building you gave to me I already have a place for it on my layout.

• Like 1

Another new work in progress added to the work bench.

My interpretation of the Barry Railway Dock building has been started for Cadoxton Quay.  #

A statement building being heavily modified from a HO Walthers product for a UK layout in OO.

Watch this space to see how far I get before something distracts me again,

Habourbuild.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 04/12/2018 at 12:51, RusselBridge2017 said:

Good point on the back scene, thanks. It is one of the Gaugemaster ones and it said industry but like you say too far west for my location.

My layout is 'probably ' set on the industrial edge of the Pennines, but I also have that backscene. 

Having grown up in South Wales, I am acutely aware that it is Port Talbot in the background- if I can get away with it, so can you :D

• Like 1

On 18/03/2021 at 09:26, RusselBridge2017 said:

My interpretation of the Barry Railway Dock building has been started for Cadoxton Quay.  #

A statement building being heavily modified from a HO Walthers product for a UK layout in OO.

Habourbuild.jpg

I've been concerned that the customs house on my micro was being dwarfed by surrounding industrial buildings, but you've given me an idea to modify the Scalescenes "Large Station" building to something along the lines of the above! Which goes to show that following anybody modelling something similar to yourself can lead to inspiration or help sidestep modeller's block! 

Many thanks for sharing!

Steve S

• Like 2

On 18/03/2021 at 09:26, RusselBridge2017 said:

Habourbuild.jpg

Look forward to seeing this building progress. 

On 22/03/2021 at 07:45, chrisf said:

I shall be interested to follow progress on the Barry Dock building.  My late grandfather worked there when he was head of the mineral accounts office in the early 1950s.

Chris

Hope you will not be disappointed, I plan a large amount of modellers licence but will add red brick to the stone and hopefully end up with a real statement building.....

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, RusselBridge2017 said:

Been weathering when I should be building the layout again....

BLAs.JPG

JSAs.JPG

I think you're getting the hang of it.... with your back catalogue, there's enough to fill a book of inspirational stuff. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...