Other magazines - listings

Spannerman

Any chance of a change back?

No; I looked at the usage levels and some really did not merit separate sub-forum areas with some being little more than an unpaid for advert (for a competing publication) than a worthwhile discussion topic.

Don't forget who pays the bills here.

So

No; I looked at the usage levels and some really did not merit separate sub-forum areas with some being little more than an unpaid for advert (for a competing publication) than a worthwhile discussion topic.

Don't forget who pays the bills here.

So please explain the rationale behind e.g. the 'disappearance' of the Model Rail/Rapido GER J70 Tram thread, which contained much informative discussion, photographs and other relevant and useful information. It's no longer in 'Other Magazines' nor has it been removed to an appropriate alternative location such as 'Smaller Suppliers'.

• Like 1

I could just tell you where it was relocated to but your 'so please explain' comment seems to appear as though you think I am here at your personal service. If you had politely asked you may have more likely got an informative response.

I could just tell you where it was relocated to but your 'so please explain' comment seems to appear as though you think I am here at your personal service. If you had politely asked you may have more likely got an informative response.

'Please' is a very polite word used when requesting something. You had responded previously that you had removed what to BRM/you might be categorised as an advert for a competing publication but this was a thread about a commissioned model, which would otherwise previously have merited inclusion with the likes of Hattons and TMC and Kernow and so on, all of which are now in the one big lump at the top of the 'zone'.

That is why I politely sought an explanation.

which would otherwise previously have merited inclusion with the likes of Hattons and TMC and Kernow and so on

Which was why it was relocated. 'So please explain' does not come across as a polite request, more of a demand.

I feel saddened that BRM feels that under threat that the other main mags do not get their own sub heading. I would have thought that MRJ for example had enough posts and is a magazine that, one would have thought, was not in direct competition with BRM to keep its own sub title.

It's not about being 'under threat' at all Alan but it's a bit daft really to give equal prominence to other publishers who aren't contributing to running costs here. I don't disagree in principle with your comments about the Journal but I thought it fair to be consistent.

• Like 2

Wonder how many other companies would be as generous to not only give space to, but pay for their rivals goods to be actively promoted on their website.

I don't see Peco etc giving any Webspace to rivals, nor do any of the other sites I visit.

I think Warners have been more than generous for quite some time.

I did have to search for the location of the J70 thread but then found it under the company actually making it. Logical, assuming you know which company.

I was surprised how much 'free' publicity was given to what might be considered competition, but looking at it from another point of view. I just googled Railway Modeller, and found a link to this forum , so some might actually only find this forum as a result of searching online for another publisher;s magazine.

I also wonder how many people have a link to this forum or BRM on their website. Quite a few societies have lists of links to useful websites, at no cost to those websites. This is very useful, especially for those new or returning to the hobby.

I remember a story a friend told me. He had various businesses including a cafe. Someone proposed to set up another cafe just across the road next to the canal. It was a good visitor site , and my friend was asked if he objected. He said he did not object, as 2 cafes in the same area would attract even more visitors than just one. As it turned out someone at council decided to reject permission for the second cafe(not sure for what reason), and the building ended being a very nice canal side office for, guess who, council housing office.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

RMweb was originally funded by Andy York and voluntary contributions from members and could be said to be "magazine/product nuetral"

However things changed some years ago and it is now funded by BRM/Warners so it should be no surprise that "other magazines" now implies "competition" and we are now witnessing the effects of that.

• RMweb Premium

RMweb was originally funded by Andy York and voluntary contributions from members and could be said to be "magazine/product nuetral"

However things changed some years ago and it is now funded by BRM/Warners so it should be no surprise that "other magazines" now implies "competition" and we are now witnessing the effects of that.

Completely understandable . And you can still post/ create threads about the other mags, its just they don't have their own sections any more . Seems more than fair to me.

• 2 weeks later...