BRM January Digital Edition - Special Effects

Ruth1971

• RMweb Gold

And is still way behind Peppa Pig.

The Peppa Pig magazine is more a bag of cheap kids toys with a magazine attached. 

RM sells 31,966 a month - not sure why they were not in the article, but details available from www.abc.org.uk

• RMweb Premium

I have a problem watching the video clips from BRMon my iPad as the sound doesn’t work. It works fine on my PC and through the headphones on my iPad, but not through the iPad speaker. The iPad speakers work fine on other videos.

Has anyone else come across this problem and is there a solution?

Thanks

Andy

• Administrators

Advertising therefore, is a necessary evil to secure the continued employment of a bunch of passionate folk and keep this very forum online.

It can be intrusive at times (e.g. The DM Toys adverts that were all over the page in a recent digital edition), but the reality is that without the adverts there wouldn't be a BRM.

Spot on. The advertising makes the difference between and magazine and no magazine (and no RMweb). We are lucky in that Warners takes a "big picture" view of publications - sales are important of course, but at the end of the day, if the magazine makes a profit through all its activities, that's what keeps it going. We're not alone in this - ModelRail sells limited edition models, other magazines run holidays for their readers. All those contribute to the bottom line.

That said, the adverts are important to readers. If people didn't look at them, advertisers wouldn't bother buying page space, and they do work because the advertisers tell us they make sales from adverts. We all enjoy a little retail therapy and browsing adverts is a big part of this. Even in the Internet age, it's fun to find things you didn't know existed while browsing the ads, especially from the smaller suppliers who don't have a presence at shows. 

• Like 2

I have a problem watching the video clips from BRMon my iPad as the sound doesn’t work. It works fine on my PC and through the headphones on my iPad, but not through the iPad speaker. The iPad speakers work fine on other videos.

Has anyone else come across this problem and is there a solution?

Thanks

Andy

It does seem to be a problem for some ipad users with the embedded video content, not being an Apple user I can't help with much practical advice but is there any means by a long press to lift the url of the video and paste it into a browser to see if will then run it?

As an N gauge enthusiast there doesn’t appear to be much of interest.

It's very rare that we don't have an N gauge layout in, this month has a little more focus on O gauge for a change. I've just looked at the next 6 months and at the moment there's an N gauge layout in each of those issues.

• RMweb Premium

It does seem to be a problem for some ipad users with the embedded video content, not being an Apple user I can't help with much practical advice but is there any means by a long press to lift the url of the video and paste it into a browser to see if will then run it?

I’m running it through the Pocketmags app so there is no url.

I’m running it through the Pocketmags app so there is no url.

That's a shame, on Android a long press brings up a menu which includes the option to copy the url.

I'll try and talk to people and see what our options are.

• RMweb Premium

We all enjoy a little retail therapy and browsing adverts is a big part of this. Even in the Internet age, it's fun to find things you didn't know existed while browsing the ads, especially from the smaller suppliers who don't have a presence at shows.

Yes. To my mind one of the biggest drawbacks of online anything is that it’s fine if you know exactly what you want, or how it is described/named. But if you don’t, or don’t realise you could benefit from having something, then that is where it all falls down for me, and magazines score highly in this respect. Browsing adverts is as much information gathering for me in this respect as actual articles on modelling itself.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

There's no 'secrecy', we just didn't broadcast it to all - there's no obligation to do so and relatively few industry changes are announced. We are doing a lot of things well but there's more we can do better still, especially with regard to cross-publication planning and implementation along with a lot of digital content planning and it was decided it was time for moving onwards and Andy was approaching two years in the role. Our editor's role is very different from any of the other mags as we do a lot more as a team.

Beyond that it wouldn't be appropriate for me to say more so why should there be any expectation for it to be so?

And there seems to be a pretty good team putting the mag together and the result is what counts so thanks for that Andy.

You're right, such 'right to know' demands bug me. Just what good would it do anyone else to know such stuff? Between spurious FOI requests and the overt expression of Lookatmebook sits a normal world.

I think your 'Christmas message' has probably summed that up rather well, you have my continuing best wishes and sympathy.

Would love to get back to hearing what you all like and dislike at the moment with the new aspects we’ve been rolling out lately as Howard asked earlier? Editor or no editor we’re working really hard to give you as much content as we can but we can only add to our product if we know what you all think!

As I said on here previously, and to you when we were introduced at the Warley show, I think you have been doing a marvellous job on the printed mag in the past few months and no matter what the content you are making it more readable which is great.

As far as content is concerned I think the mag has got the right approach on layout articles and there are some good points in reviews.  The latter is a difficult area as you're up against the market leader in that area which has drawn on the old 'Model Railway Constructor' approach and modernised it but using expertise and prototype knowledge such as Tony Wright's on Hornby's new LNER Toad in the January issue is an excellent way of tackling this subject and that was one of the best put together and laid out reviews I've seen in a long while helped by those 'special prototype' views which turned out to be on a well known layout. 

I'm never sure about constructional articles and the big problem must always be how they are targetted reader level/experience wise so they're a bit of a mixture as far as I'm concerned but the ones I like are always well written which is nice to see.

• Like 3

As an N gauge enthusiast there doesn’t appear to be much of interest.

Does that mean you can’t get any inspiration from layouts in other scales? As a fellow N gauge enthusiast I think there’s inspiration to found in all aspects of the hobby.

• RMweb Gold

I've been made aware that some stockists may not have the mag on their shelves today due to a distribution issue but that is expected to be resolved tomorrow/Saturday.

That explains why Smugs at St Pancreas and Padlington were lacking.

Collected my saved copy from local newsagent this morning.

Just flicked through, and it looks excellent. And what a great freebie - a good quality Humbrol brush set!  Well done BRM!

One happy customer here - plus another actually.  When I was paying for mine, a shop customer spotted the brushes on the cover and promptly bought one!  We had a quick chat, he doesn't normally buy it.

(Looking forward to Peterborough tomorrow).

• RMweb Gold

Aye, one of them is me - no sound for a couple of years on iPad using Pocketmags App with iOS 11 ( but also on previous versions).

To get it into Safari, and so be able to hear the Chat, I do the following:

1. In the app, go to the page, click on the share icon, top right to display the URL

2. Click on the URL - this will show the movie, but again without sound

3. Click on the word ‘Safari’ on the top right. This will display the video properly within Safari with sound.

The January one will throw you as Phil’s lips will be moving but a Steve is talking. Like a bad Mariah Carey lip synch.

Cheers

Jason

• RMweb Gold

That explains why Smugs at St Pancreas and Padlington were lacking.

And still no luck. Smugs in Exeter had not received any by today, were not expecting any until Wednesday. They were also out of Michele Obama’s autobiography, which Sherry was seeking.

No stock in Lydney or Chepstow either today.  Filling station is doing well out of me.  Yes I know I could have it on subscription but I like to support the news agent.  Once we had three in Lydney, now it's just the one.

Tony Comber

• RMweb Premium

Got mine yesterday. Great issue and thanks for the brush set, that’s definitely going to come in handy. Loved the articles on the Barn and rusting techniques. Also, worthy winner and highly recommended models from the cake box challenge. All nicely displayed and described. All in all another brilliant issue with loads to peruse. No wonder BRM is the top seller, obviously on the right track (excuse the pun!). Happy Christmas and New Year to all the team.

Mike

No wonder BRM is the top seller

We're not the top seller (but things are going well from the figures I've been reading this morning) but we do put a lot of effort in and we do have some excellent contributors. ;)

Thanks for the seasonal wishes, the same to you of course Mike!