Fitting a decoder to a Bachmann 32-353 4MT Tank No. 80135

bob hughes60

So I decided to remove the body to check the size of the 8 pin decoder I could fit.

On the exploded diagram 5 body fixing screws are shown. Removed all of these.

The front of the chassis will now pull down and away from the body but sticks at the rear half,

under the cab.

I have not resorted to brute force as I was wondering if there was something else I need to detach

to enable the body to drop clear.

I removed the rear 4 wheel bogie to get a better look at under the cab.

There is a bolt, brass washer, plastic washer and a spring.

There is a nut in a little compartment under cab.

It is a nightmare trying to reassemble the bogie as the diagram enclosed doesn't show all the parts!!

Nor are there any  instructions about detaching the body.

So if anybody can enlighten me on detaching the body and or re-attaching the bogie (i.e order of the washers etc. I would be eternally grateful.

TIA

Bob Hughes

Edited by bob hughes60

Once you have got the loco apart the really annoying thing is that  the bolt that is visually under the of cab on the underside of the chassis is just offset from one that holds the body together - a little bit more of design thought could have seen those two combined with the body could having some internal clip fits so its was not wholly dependent on the bolt . On one of mine I have taken off the internal body fixing bolt so I only have to undo the front fixing bolt to get access to the decoder and worm by simply lifting the boiler and smokebox off the model; the downside is that the cab roof has a tendency not to fit positively on the rear cab plate - keep on meaning to try some tacky glue on it. If you do this just watch out that the first time you remove the boiler a number of the detail parts on it may come loose depending on how well or not they have glued in place.

By removing the five screws plus the screw holding the speedometer in place the body separates from the chassis but not completely.

I haven't cut the pipework as you can get at the decoder and I am awaiting feedback on fitting a TCS 8 pin direct so not having to faff about with wires etc.

Will update further, thanks for the info from fellow modellers.

I fitted the TCS DP2X-UK decoder, works fine.

unfortunately I lost one of the middle body screws. So sent an email to Bachmann.

I got a next day reply screws now on their way and notes from a Bachmann technician on re-attaching the bogie are

:-

"If you are looking at the underneath of the chassis, there would be the thick washer, followed by the spring and then the thin washer, then the bogie, and then the screw."

Hope this is useful if anybody else is mad enough to detach the bogie.

Bob Hughes