RMWEB Tour of Didcot & Fawley 25th & 26th May 2019

Castle

Hi All,

i am going to PM the details for the donations to those going to the Fawley Tour. You can pay on the day but it is easier for us to do it prior if possible.

sorry things have been a bit quiet but I’ve been a tad busy. The morning of the 25th May now has the added attraction of the Pendennis Castle reunion going for it. Families and friends associated with the locomotive will be gathering as we start the final fundraising push! There are a whole host of people coming including an appearance from Doug Godden who was 4079’s last fireman in service on the 9th May 1964. It will be his 86th birthday!

Does anyone else want the ultimate RMWEB full size train day out?

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, Castle said:

The morning of the 25th May now has the added attraction of the Pendennis Castle reunion going for it. Families and friends associated with the locomotive will be gathering

I did e-mail Didcot to find out more details of the 4079 gathering but got no reply. What is the plan, if any?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Castle said:

Hi All,

i am going to PM the details for the payment to those going to the Fawley Tour. You can pay on the day but it is easier for us to do it prior if possible.

sorry things have been a bit quiet but I’ve been a tad busy. The morning of the 25th May now has the added attraction of the Pendennis Castle reunion going for it. Families and friends associated with the locomotive will be gathering as we start the final fundraising push! There are a whole host of people coming including an appearance from Doug Godden who was 4079’s last fireman in service on the 9th May 1964. It will be his 86th birthday!

Does anyone else want the ultimate RMWEB full size train day out?

All the best,

Castle

I'm really sorry but I am going to have to drop out of the weekend, unfortunately my inlaws are moving house that weekend, and my wife has volunteered my services....

Not best pleased!

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 08/05/2019 at 11:35, Poor Old Bruce said:

I did e-mail Didcot to find out more details of the 4079 gathering but got no reply. What is the plan, if any?

Hi there,

The plan is to get as many as possible old hands from the 4079 story in one place at one time for a picture, sometime about 10:00 - 10:30hrs. Please come by if you are available!

All the best,

Castle

PS: it is planned to be a 2999 running day too...

Edited by Castle
Spelling and I forgot a bit...
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Castle said:

Hi there,

The plan is to get as many as possible old hands from the 4079 story in one place at one time for a picture, sometime about 10:00 - 10:30hrs. Please come by if you are available!

Thanks for that. Could be more like 11 o'clock before I get there.

• Like 1

Well, my accommodation is booked - very much looking forward to my third visit to Didcot and my first ever visit to Fawley Hill. Is there any reason why the Saint is no longer scheduled to be running, Castle? A slight disappointment but I am sure the day will be fantastic as always.

I have also managed to schedule a stay over in Cheltenham to attend the GWSR steam gala on Bank Holiday Monday, which is always a good do - I can partake of a few real ales too as we're being given the Tuesday off work - the virtues of working in local government!

Cheers, 

CoY

• Like 1

Hi All,

Yes - yet to get to the bottom of no saint but I’ve just confirmed it with the crew. Sorry people... On the plus side 1450 will be operating with a pair of autocoaches and it means a close up view of ‘The Lady’ I suppose.

I will work through my list of people and send the information for the donations for Fawley via PM this evening.

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

• RMweb Premium

Morning

Is there a plan for Fawley Hill on Sunday? Are we expected to arrive at a certain time etc and meet up or is it a free for all?

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Which way in do we use Drew - is it the one marked 'Fawley Hil on Google maps or do we go round the top to the field used on event days please?

Hi Mike,

yep - top field please! That’s important. Information actually. The postcode to use for sat nav self loosing devices is RG9 6JA and you want to use the entrance next to the small row of houses. It’s on Dobson’s Lane,

all the best,

Castle.

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Castle said:

Hi Mike,

yep - top field please! That’s important. Information actually. The postcode to use for sat nav self loosing devices is RG9 6JA and you want to use the entrance next to the small row of houses. It’s on Dobson’s Lane,

all the best,

Castle.

So I presume at least one of the big gates will be open or do we open it ourselves?

OK to answer tomorrow 

May I be the the first to thank Drew for a great trip around the GWR treasure box of Didcot this afternoon. I think I speak for everyone when I say what a comprehensive and informative tour it was. I’ve done the tour once before but I learnt a lot of new things nonetheless. 

Seeing Pendennis Castle 100% visually ‘complete’ for the first time in my life was also a highlight. 

I desperately wanted to take and post another picture but I pledged to keep the secret! 

Now for tomorrow at Fawley! 

Cheers, 

CoY

42F2BEF4-71AE-43F2-B702-5514F44A58D0.jpeg

E43CAF73-F167-4B9D-9B60-9693A224DB7E.jpeg

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Back from my first visit to Fawley Hill, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The place has a very unique atmosphere and the railwayana collection is incredible. It was also an unexpected surprise to see John Dornom’s exquisite Swindon A Shop and Laira  MPD dioramas again.

Huge thank you to Drew for the invite, top man!

Andy.

Edited by Andy M
  • Thanks 1

That was a first- both managed to completely fill my 'phone's memory and run the battery flat! What an excellent day at Fawley Hill- an excellent weekend all round, in fact.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Thank you for organising it all Drew. 

IMG_20190526_153421306_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190526_144125953_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from a wonderful day at Fawley. Many thanks to Drew and indeed all the friendly team at Fawley who worked very hard and put on an excellent day. That hill climbing takes some skill from the crew  while the late Sir William has collected an impressive array of stuff in the museum section with some stunning paintings. The catering was good too - those cakes were delicious.

• Thanks 1