The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

• RMweb Premium

A selection of Wagner excerpts performed by the Cleveland Orchestra conducted by George Szell. I know many Wagner fans recoil in horror at such collections and for sure they cannot replace the definitive works from which they are extracted but they are very enjoyable. Szell is one of those conductors who has slipped into obscurity and in Europe I think many have always been reluctant to accept that US orchestras are world class but Szell and the Cleveland was a remarkable combination. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Rattus Norvegicus

- First Tim Brooke Taylor now the Stranglers keyboard guy, that virus up there is killing off many of my '70's/early '80's memory makers..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I saw him at a hall in Upminster around ‘72, his band was augmented by Lol Coxhill on sax that evening. It was a great gig full of quirky and very English music!

• 2 weeks later...

Time on my hands has meant I've been able to get one of the Technics 1210s up and running. I probably haven't played a piece of vinyl for half a decade or more, so grabbing a random album for the initial test play I was rather delighted to pick It Takes a Nation of Millions by Public Enemy. But I had to put it back as it was a limited edition re-issue still in unbroken cellophane...

Pick 2 was an arguably equivalent heavyweight Hip Hop classic mind you:

C6T. 

Having got my Naim CD 5X back in operation yesterday, so far it has hosted:

Miles Davis - The Lost Quintet

Yes - Glastonbury 2003

Status Quo - Backbone 

I'm working my way through the pile of unplayed CDs that contains birthday presents, a couple of purchases and, the majority, ones that have been sent to me from music biz contacts.

steve

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, steve1 said:

Having got my Naim CD 5X back in operation yesterday, so far it has hosted:

Miles Davis - The Lost Quintet

Yes - Glastonbury 2003

Status Quo - Backbone 

I'm working my way through the pile of unplayed CDs that contains birthday presents, a couple of purchases and, the majority, ones that have been sent to me from music biz contacts.

steve

After reading that I am off to play some Undertones.

Saying that I changed my mind and I am listening to the Drollyrots recent release of their version of Teenage Kicks.

:tomato::tomato::tomato::punish: :blackeye:  :cry:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Catching up on Sophie Ellis Bextor's Kitchen Disco from Friday, which features:

• If I Can't Dance
  • Take Me Home
  • Catch You
  • Over and Over
  • Groovejet
  • Murder On The Dancefloor

*Bonus* Afterparty performance:

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Like 2

Some forty five years ago I used to frequent a local watering hole in AIrdrie called "The Staging Post", this was back when Scotland still had a 10pm chucking out time, and to get round this and open to 11pm the pub provided food and entertainment for the grand sum of 50p!

One of the bands that used to play was a cracking outfit called Greenmantle, a band that I liked so much I sneaked a cassette tape recorder into the pub one night and taped their set.  The tape was lost a long while ago and I thought I had heard the last of them until I replied to a post on a Facebook group and found out that a lot of their material had been rerecorded was available on line.  If you like Eagles style country/rock I would recommend looking them up on you tube or Spotify.  This is one of my favourites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SuZ43VLpp0

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Wafting / blasting in from the room next door where her indoors is watching 'Now 70s' on freeview is The Who performing 'Who Are You' at Teddington Studios in '78, in front of an invited audience - it sounds fantastic..... they also recorded a live version of 'Won't Get Fooled Again' on the same day and sadly it was Keith Moon's last performance. Magical to watch and listen to both of these performances.....

WHO images (1).jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Wafting / blasting in from the room next door where her indoors is watching 'Now 70s' on freeview is The Who performing 'Who Are You' at Teddington Studios in '78, in front of an invited audience - it sounds fantastic..... they also recorded a live version of 'Won't Get Fooled Again' on the same day and sadly it was Keith Moon's last performance. Magical to watch and listen to both of these performances.....

WHO images (1).jpg

YouTube has four songs from that recording including Won't Get Fooled Again. 

• Like 1

...The Nightingales new album.

One of those rare albums thats all killa no filla

Particularly liking "The End Began Somewhere" -  If you are missing Mark. E. Smith, give this a go.

The Swagger of The Fall combined with the shape-shifting fluiditiy of Aunty Donnas seminal "Walking In On Someone Doing A Poo"

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/05/2020 at 12:14, Chris116 said:

Listening to Chris Country radio most of the day every day and then my Lainey Wilson 17 song Spotify playlist during the evening. 

my eldest lad who’s 15 is big into country music and I told him about Chris country on the DAB in the car and he informed me that the ‘Chris’ bit is short for ‘Christian’ which I didn’t know

he won’t listen to it, not for religious reasons but he despairs of ‘modern country’ and prefers to listen to the likes of Marty robbins, Waylon Jennings, Johnny cash, Ernie ford and Tammy Wynette! 

The youngest, 10 years old, is into queen, fleetwood mac, ELO, led zeppelin and AC/DC amongst others!

I put it down to Spotify, when I was their age you listened to what ever was on the radio or whatever records you bought whereas now they can just play a random playlist of pretty much any genre of music they choose through Alexa which has really broadened their tastes, of course there are also lots of film soundtracks with old tunes too such as guardians of the galaxy which has 70s tunes on so they get an airing too 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, big jim said:

my eldest lad who’s 15 is big into country music and I told him about Chris country on the DAB in the car and he informed me that the ‘Chris’ bit is short for ‘Christian’ which I didn’t know

he won’t listen to it, not for religious reasons but he despairs of ‘modern country’ and prefers to listen to the likes of Marty robbins, Waylon Jennings, Johnny cash, Ernie ford and Tammy Wynette! 

The "Chris" is nothing to do with Christian but rather the station was started by Chris Stevens who is still one of the presenters. The station was sold by Chris in March this year to Country line.  I like both old and new country. 

• RMweb Gold

I was converting some 12” singles to MP3  yesterday, all 90s dance tunes I used to have ‘back in the day’ that I’ve never managed to replace until now, of course going digital for my DJing means I need them on MP3 so as it’s a long drawn out task I Decided to make a start today

whay I did find it that songs I thought were really good back in the mid to late 90s are actually not that good now when listening back and surprisingly vice versa cheesy songs from back then are actually quite catchy W, I ended up getting about 15 records into the stack and actually only converting just over half of them as the rest were so dire, mainly ‘white label mash ups’

the good stuff I converted was surprisingly things like S Club 7, Eiffel 65 mix of ‘reach for the stars’ and Ant and Dec, Tony de vit mix of ‘shout’ which is an absolute banger! 

More to do tomorrow when I get the time 

• Like 2