The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

• RMweb Premium

I’ve never taken the time to listen to much country music, but on the recommendation of a friend I took a punt on a best of Emmylou Harris CD - beautiful voice, superb instrumentation, what’s not to like?

Just wish I’d checked her out before now!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Wagakki Band, from Japan.  A truly astonishing variety of music during their concert - this video starts with music played on tradtional Japanese instruments but after 2:50 you'll get some excellent rock music with a brilliant but rather weird lead guitarist and an absolutelyfrantic drummer - oh, and a girl bass player's always nice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Torper said:

The Wagakki Band, from Japan.  A truly astonishing variety of music during their concert - this video starts with music played on tradtional Japanese instruments but after 2:50 you'll get some excellent rock music with a brilliant but rather weird lead guitarist and an absolutelyfrantic drummer - oh, and a girl bass player's always nice.

I have been listening to the Wagakki Band for some time, they are excellent.

Torper, sorry to disillusion you but Asa the bass player is a geezer. From  https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/亜沙  "He has long hair, and although he is often thought of as a woman by name and looks, he is a man."

Asa is very talented,

His best song, which Wagakki Band play, is Yoshiwara Lament. It is about the plight of a prostitute, it takes a bloke in a dress to write such a song.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Torper, sorry to disillusion you but Asa the bass player is a geezer. From  https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/亜沙  "He has long hair, and although he is often thought of as a woman by name and looks, he is a man."

Oh dear, I was completey fooled!  Please don't tell me now that that rather cute shamisen player is also a bloke.....

What a talented group of musicians.  Brilliant music and visually their stage shows seem to be quite remarkable.  Since finding them a few days ago I've shared their music with quite a lot of friends (all of whom I'm now going to have to disillusion about Asa!) and all have been very impressed.

DT

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Torper said:

Oh dear, I was completey fooled!  Please don't tell me now that that rather cute shamisen player is also a bloke.....

What a talented group of musicians.  Brilliant music and visually their stage shows seem to be quite remarkable.  Since finding them a few days ago I've shared their music with quite a lot of friends (all of whom I'm now going to have to disillusion about Asa!) and all have been very impressed.

DT

I was caught out when I first found them. :blush: So welcome to the club.

If you pop over to my Sheffield Exchange thread I have been trying to educate RMwebbers about the Wagakki band and other bands from around the world for some time.

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I was caught out when I first found them. :blush: So welcome to the club.

If you pop over to my Sheffield Exchange thread I have been trying to educate RMwebbers about the Wagakki band and other bands from around the world for some time.

To quote The Kinks

Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

To quote The Kinks

Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world

I was lucky enough to see the Kast Off Kinks last year just before one of their number sadly died. They did a superb rendition of Lola. If you liked The Kinks then go see them if you get the chance. 

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, 5 C said:

Can always rely on The Ukes to raise a smile in even the darkest of times. And a very talented new singer too.

The ukulele is the second most horrible ‘musical’ instrument (of torture) after the bagpipes and only marginally ahead of the banjo...

steve

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, steve1 said:

The ukulele is the second most horrible ‘musical’ instrument (of torture) after the bagpipes and only marginally ahead of the banjo...

steve

Other views are available. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, steve1 said:

steve

Just for you Steve,

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 04/07/2020 at 13:16, steve1 said:

I quite agree -  the ukelele is the second most horrible instrument.  I wasn't sure about it until I played Clive's video above, and it is now clear that the banjo comes bottom of the list (I rather like the bagpipes, at least most of the time).  And the ukelele orchestra did have a very decent vocalist,

DT

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, 5 C said:

Well my last post certainly stirred things up a bit. So in the same vein and in view of today's news about Ennio Morricone, I give you this.

I have been to see the UOGB a few times. Always hugely enjoyable, fun and entertaining. I love it when people say that something is "horrible" or "dreadful" when really they are only saying "I don't like it therefore it must be bad". Any band that can do the Dambusters March and Psycho Killer in the same concert can't be accused of playing it safe with their choice of material.

I often listen to Ennio Morricone film music and have been doing so today in his honour. What a talented and prolific man, famous for the Spaghetti Western scores but capable of such diverse styles. The main theme from "Once upon a time in the West" is my favourite bit of film music.  

Edited by t-b-g
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

By coincidence I was listening to one of my Morricone compilation CDs in the car on the way home from work this morning, not the spaghetti western stuff but some of his work on thrillers and 'Giallos' of the period, sublime doesn't do it justice really, lots of beautiful harpsichords, strings and swooping otherworldly vocals, lovely stuff. Most people probably aren't aware that he only did about forty or so western soundtracks, he also did about four hundred other films. RIP Ennio.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

By coincidence I was listening to one of my Morricone compilation CDs in the car on the way home from work this morning, not the spaghetti western stuff but some of his work on thrillers and 'Giallos' of the period, sublime doesn't do it justice really, lots of beautiful harpsichords, strings and swooping otherworldly vocals, lovely stuff. Most people probably aren't aware that he only did about forty or so western soundtracks, he also did about four hundred other films. RIP Ennio.

I saw a documentary about him a while ago. Many of his film scores were written in a few weeks and recorded on a shoestring budget. Many of the sounds he used, like voices and whistling were because there was no money for an orchestra and a vocalist was cheaper. As you say, once you get away from the famous scores, there is some truly beautiful music just waiting to be discovered.

• Like 1