20 Casualty Clearing Station, Boisleux Au Mont 1917

Model Railway Noob

Some more of the lighting after spending all day wiring yesterday.

I just have to add the marquee lights when I've built them and another campfire the other side of the tents, then that's all the lighting finished. 

I am planning on something rather ambitious with aircraft. I planned to add two Sopwith Camels chasing off a Fokker Triplane over the layout. I have explored various ways of suspending the aircraft and have decided on transparent cake supports through the wings to the backboard.

I mentioned my aircraft idea to someone and he criticsed the idea because they won't really be flying! Does anyone have people who walk on their layout, eat, talk, drive the locos or actually work? No they don't, so I'm  not too concerned about that. However, I did feel that I could make it more original and have sourced some micro engines that I might just be able to squeeze in to the aeroplanes. They could be too big and I won't know until I actually try and fit them. I have managed to find a way to avoid batteries as they would run out after 10 minutes (these are RC engines) and step the power up to 12v form 3.75v I think it was originally. Of course they may be too noisy if I ever get them running :)

Lights up Feb 19 051.jpg

Lights up Feb 19 050.jpg

Lights up Feb 19 049.jpg

Lights up Feb 19 052.jpg

Lights up Feb 19 054.jpg

Lights up Feb 19 055.jpg

Lights up Feb 19 057.jpg

Lights up Feb 19 058.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's been a while. I have been working on a test track of 00 and 009 track with a small photo area for 009 locomotives.

I thought about my only train set as a child and decided to research it. My mother gave mine to another family who were poorer than us! I got my set at Christmas 1973 and I was 7 years old. It was the Hornby Freightmaster set which was featured in edition 19 of the Hornby magazine. I have not got this very old set again and the locomotive runs but it quite noisy. It is features in the video at the bottom.

On my layout I have been working on paining a brown crane non military traction engine into the same military green traction engine that is produced. Both are actually the same type and we in service in France and Belgium in WWI. I have spent most time however fitting tiny electric engines into quite small WWI aircraft. That was a challenge but I have two working over the layout. The only train related work is to convert some rolling stock into a Royal Engineers mobile workshop. It's not finished but it's getting there. I have a petrol tank coming to modify into the War Office version produced in WWI.  I will then have to weather it.

2019-03-02 014.jpg

March 2nd 19 175.jpg

2019-03-02_015.jpg

2019-03-02 008.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 04/02/2019 at 07:52, Model Railway Noob said:

Some more of the lighting after spending all day wiring yesterday.

I just have to add the marquee lights when I've built them and another campfire the other side of the tents, then that's all the lighting finished. 

I am planning on something rather ambitious with aircraft. I planned to add two Sopwith Camels chasing off a Fokker Triplane over the layout. I have explored various ways of suspending the aircraft and have decided on transparent cake supports through the wings to the backboard.

I mentioned my aircraft idea to someone and he criticsed the idea because they won't really be flying! Does anyone have people who walk on their layout, eat, talk, drive the locos or actually work? No they don't, so I'm  not too concerned about that. However, I did feel that I could make it more original and have sourced some micro engines that I might just be able to squeeze in to the aeroplanes. They could be too big and I won't know until I actually try and fit them. I have managed to find a way to avoid batteries as they would run out after 10 minutes (these are RC engines) and step the power up to 12v form 3.75v I think it was originally. Of course they may be too noisy if I ever get them running :)

Lights up Feb 19 051.jpg

Lights up Feb 19 050.jpg

Lights up Feb 19 049.jpg

Lights up Feb 19 052.jpg

Lights up Feb 19 054.jpg

Lights up Feb 19 055.jpg

You might have to rethink your lighting as open fires, lights from windows, etc would be a big no-no at night. Even during the day fires, etc would be a drawcard for German observers in planes or balloon to inform the German Artillery

Cheers

Peter    

• Thanks 1

On 03/03/2019 at 22:40, Peter Beckett said:

You might have to rethink your lighting as open fires, lights from windows, etc would be a big no-no at night. Even during the day fires, etc would be a drawcard for German observers in planes or balloon to inform the German Artillery

Cheers

Peter    

Hi Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to post. I see your point but I will explain my rationale.

I was a combat medic and so I am very familiar with the tactical considerations of soldiering. I had to learn to put in a canula and put up a drip in total darkness. If we really needed to use a light, it would be red, covered and as close to the casualty as possible. However times were very different when I was a medic compared to WWI which was mostly a static war as you will know.

With regard to the CCS, I am depicting a day time scene in WWI 6-10 miles from the front line. I have visited the location, have the WWI map and read the war diary. There was an experiment with one CCS that was located 4 miles from the front but it was shelled too often (?German confusion about the new site) and the senior officers were concerned that nurses (females), would be killed and that would be bad for morale and PR. The idea was abandoned very soon after becoming operational, even though it was saving more lives and the nurses wanted it to continue - we now understand this as the 'golden hour'.

In WWI, casualty clearing stations were lit with electric lighting and certainly had coal and wood fires for heat - possibly oil too. Electric lighting can be seen miles away at night and especially through canvas as you can imagine. The respective CCSs had different arrangements but in a recent first hand account I read, if a German aircraft was heard overhead at night, the officer in charge would blow his whistle three times and staff would distinguish lights and fires where possible because of an understandable fear of bombing. That's assuming they all heard his whistle though! The aircraft however was already overhead and of course the pilot would have seen the hospital lights from miles away, unless there was loads of low cloud cover. Furthermore, the Germans knew exactly where the hospitals were located. They typically had a large red cross painted on the ground and occasionally on one tent instead. Both sides had observations balloons aloft (one was at Boisleux until the hospital CO asked them to move as he thought they were shelled when the target was actually the balloon site).  The CCSs were large installations and impossible to miss and very distinctive trains with lots of red crosses were arriving daily. Both sides flew over each others' lines several times a day and recorded new positions as they appeared. I have recently finished a pilot's first hand account flying a Sopwith Pup in WWI.

From WWII onwards, the tactical considerations changed and just about every building had a red cross on it (Red Star of David for Israeli forces and the Red Crescent for Muslim countries) and they don't try to hide them because it makes no sense. Having said that medics were armed from WWII onwards for self protection and to protect their casualties.

For the most part in WWI, the enemy aircraft at night were bombers and were largely after ammunition dumps and this was known at the time and is well documented. A nurse's first hand account wrote, "the Boche flew over again searching for ammo dumps". This was an almost daily occurrence and the CCS staff were very used to it. Counter battery shelling usually passed overhead on their way to targets and the British return fire. Both sides knew where their targets were. Sometimes German pilots became disorientated and bombed hospitals. It was never thought to be intentional because apart from being a war crime, there were usually German casualties being treated and they wouldn't have wanted to kill their own troops. Incidentally I come from a village that had an officers' PoW camp in WWI. Although Zeppelins were seen overhead, no one expected the village to be bombed because the Germans knew the camp was there. The village was only ten miles from Rolls Royce.

Soldiers in the front line also lit fires but of course tried their best to conceal smoke and light. Lots of soldiers died from the fumes in trying to do so. Each side knew each other's positions and a look at any trench map of either side during WWI illustrates this very well (I have a large collection of British and German trench maps). You could die at any time in the front line trench from shelling but you could also die from trench fever and hypothermia. Life was a miserable existence and clothing largely inadequate for the conditions. Heat went a long way to boost morale where it was possible so soldiers took the risk and searched for fuel to burn. 

Although I am the first to admit that I am relatively new to model railways and have a lot to learn, I have been researching the Great War for a number of years and have a large library of books. All of what I do on this layout is thoroughly researched where it is possible. Having said that, I wouldn't describe me as a prototypical modeller. I do know my WWI history though. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi everyone.

Well I've been covering myself with paint and pigment all week. I have built another aircraft (Fokker Triplane) and have the last one on the way.

I weathered the Royal Engineers workshop and painted the tank and truck. I thought I really should have something running in 00, as I realised that I have never showed anything other than narrow gauge. The track and loco really need a clean but you will get the idea.

I have three narrow gauge locos to build and some rolling stock. Unfortunately whilst I have gathered the parts for a different approach to the marquee tents, I haven't actually started yet. I have several more tanks, ambulances and armoured cars to build before I get anywhere near to soldiers. Once I've done that, the tents need more work.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2019 at 08:57, luke the train spotter said:

The lighting adds a lot of atmosphere and depth to the layout. I love the church pews visible. The 009 stock is also a great addition too. 

Thank you Luke. It was worth the effort putting the pews in. I have made some trellis tables and may show these in one the marquee tents when I finally get around to them. I have just added the last aircraft - an American Spad XIII but haven't tested the engine yet.

I have four other narrow gauge locos to build and two rolling stock items then it's more tanks, armoured cars, ambulances and people.

Thanks everyone else for the support.

2019-03-16 March 16 19 033.jpg

2019-03-16 March 16 19 034.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's been a while. I have been working on some 009 rolling stock which has been a problem. I bought four vans for an engineers' train and the instructions were to buy BEMO couplings. However they were too think and resulted in one set of wheels being off the floor. I tied Peco and they derail. The vans are very high and fall over easily. I did think of  adding weight but I would need to add some to the locomotives too as I still got some wheel slip. In the end, I bought some 3D printed stuff and the seller also sold couplings. They seem to work best but I only had enough for one of the vans. I put together the other wagons and I have everything to make a Simplex, Hunslett and Dick Kerr including three chassis/engines (except perhaps enough confidence and skill) :)

upload1.jpg

upload2.jpg

upload3.jpg

upload4.jpg

upload5.jpg

upload6.jpg

upload7.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone and apologies for the long delay in posting again. I moved in with brother at the end of April (my fifth move since my divorce five years ago and still cannot decide where to go) and put my stuff in storage. I was waiting to retire before deciding where to move to but have still not decided where go. I am now retired after 35 years in the NHS although I revalidated my nursing registration in case I get bored and go back to work.

Any way I have finally started progressing this layout. I've bought a further 6 or 7 locomotives to turn back to their ROD liveries (another later post) and have been making some of the static vehicle models. I have working engines in all four aircraft and have some hospital tents at last. They aren't ideal and after trying to scratch build twice, I gave up and found something close to what I wanted, albeit H0 scale.  I needed to fill the space before doing anything else.

I have been working on a warflat that I plan to revert to a Parrot carrying Renault FT tanks, destined for the US army. You probably know that the first US tank commander was a Captain (very soon Major) George S Patton. I have the warflat but it has yet to be painted and the chains added.

I have added more lighting in the tents and some fires for warmth. The guy ropes and tent pegs were a pain! 

I still have about five 009 locomotives to build and have to convert lots of the wagons to RAMC stores wagons and the famous 40 men, 8 horses wagons.

I have been doing lots of reading for two special projects involving navy guns. I have gathered all the materials now and will start work on those soon. If I don't mess them up, I will post some photos here. Both are based on actual events during WWI although one was strictly home defence.

Here are some recent images.

layoutOct19_01.jpg

layoutOct19_02.jpg

layoutOct19_03.jpg

layoutOct19_04.jpg

layoutOct19_05.jpg

layoutOct19_06.jpg

layoutOct19_07.jpg

layoutOct19_08.jpg

layoutOct19_09.jpg

layoutOct19_10.jpg

layoutOct19_11.jpg

layoutOct19_12.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I only have one photo taken quote early before I put the top on the open tent. It's hard to get in there now because of the guy ropes :(

The soldiers uniforms at that time wasn't quite right and I think the Bachmann figures are too dark. This represents a reception tent like A&E. This was where I worked in a field hospital although of course much bigger IRL. Other tents were wards, theatres, ready for evacuation and what they termed no-hopers or too sick to travel.  Soldiers with VD were not transferred any further up the line than this.  The table type was still in use when I was a medic in the late 80s and of course beds in the wards. 

2019-09-03 Note 10 Plus 1 224.jpg

• Like 2

Hi everyone.

I have been busy now I have more time for this. Over the next few days I will add photos of the recent developments then some with them all in place on the layout. I want to create some scenes from old photographs to illustrate the research that goes into the layout. I have read several more books since I last provided an update but mainly for three additional WWI projects I am working on.  I have now read the war diary and have notes on the numbers of 20 different Continental Ambulance Trains (CATs) that visited this site between early June 1917 and he middle of March 1918. As the Bachmann train went to Egypt and then Pallestine, that wasn't one of them, so I am not using it on this layout. 

The first images show the use of washing up/wash bowls on tables outside. I want to re-create some scenes from historic photos to demonstrate the research that goes into this layout development. The last two photographs are about the telephone lines. Although this village had them before the war, British models would have been used within the CCS area. Lots of photographs also show flowers so I have added quite a few to brighten up the place. The nurses often used their spare time to wonder around the back areas in their gum boots and brought back flowers. They described this in detail in first had accounts. They also made attempts to visit the old trenches near to the front!

As a side note, I love the sign in the first photo so I will re-produce these as well as the beware of trains versions. Note the top part of the tents was darkened as per orders.

use1.PNG

use1a.jpg

use1b.jpg

use2a.jpg

use2b.jpg

• Like 4

Hi all,

Following on from yesterday:

I have modified my London buses and boarded up the sides as they did in WWI. I wasn't keen on the orange seating, so I painted the seats brown. I have a set of figures designed to sit inside this from WD models. Once they are painted, I will add them too. I have some painted up spades and forks so I may add those too as they look quite good on the real thing. I did this for my armour cars and liked the effect. I only noticed they carried them when I posted image just now :) 

I've done some more work on the Parrot conversions and they are progressing well. I will print out the text myself when I print out all the ROD numbers. It would be a waste of transfer paper not to fill each page and I haven't done all the numbering research yet.

As you can see hand carts were used quite a bit so I wanted to show those. I am converting some WD stretcher bearers to push/pull these. I watched a film last night showing them in use with one stretcher on each. I will position them around the layout. There are also two Vauxhall and two Ford Model T ambulances. They now have transfers and weathering. I will show photos of them on the layout later. I left the doors off the back of two of them to show the four stretchers inside. Interestingly the layout hadn't changed when I was a medic!

I have sourced and repainted some water bowsers for the steam traction engines. I have weathered them a bit for now but will add WD markings at a later date.

use5.jpg

use6.jpg

use24.jpg

use8.jpg

use8bz.jpg

use9.jpg

use9a.jpg

use9b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

58 minutes ago, Model Railway Noob said:

Hi all,

Following on from yesterday:

I have modified my London buses and boarded up the sides as they did in WWI. I wasn't keen on the orange seating, so I painted the seats brown. I have a set of figures designed to sit inside this from WD models. Once they are painted, I will add them too. I have some painted up spades and forks so I may add those too as they look quite good on the real thing. I did this for my armour cars and liked the effect. I only noticed they carried them when I posted image just now :) 

I've done some more work on the Parrot conversions and they are progressing well. I will print out the text myself when I print out all the ROD numbers. It would be a waste of transfer paper not to fill each page and I haven't done all the numbering research yet.

As you can see hand carts were used quite a bit so I wanted to show those. I am converting some WD stretcher bearers to push/pull these. I watched a film last night showing them in use with one stretcher on each. I will position them around the layout. There are also two Vauxhall and two Ford Model T ambulances. They now have transfers and weathering. I will show photos of them on the layout later. I left the doors off the back of two of them to show the four stretchers inside. Interestingly the layout hadn't changed when I was a medic!

I have sourced and repainted some water bowsers for the steam traction engines. I have weathered them a bit for now but will add WD markings at a later date.

use5.jpg

use6.jpg

use24.jpg

use8.jpg

use8bz.jpg

use9.jpg

use9a.jpg

use9b.jpg

Where you get those cart and water carriers from? They look superb!

1 hour ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Where you get those cart and water carriers from? They look superb!

Hi Callum,

The carts are made by Preisler HO pack number 17103. You get 8 for £10 and I bought them via ebay. I am hoping Barry's WD stretcher bearers will fit the smaller ones and I want to add a horse to the biggest cart.

The water bowsers are Oxford Diecast but look very different when you buy them. I bought mine from KJB Models via ebay. I noticed tonight that Hatton's have them as a new pre-order so I suppose they are new out. They were £10.95 each and free postage.

Both items arrived very quickly. 

Its all coming together and looking good, very interested in this one as my great uncle died at the CCS at Dernancourt in October 1916. If you can get them the recent Roden 1/72 B Type goes together well and the WD Figures fit well in it.  The attached is a picture of mine that is part of a small diorama that won the category at the recent MBF national show.  Most figures are by WD and some by Modelu and HaT with a solitary Bachmann one.

Roden B type.jpg

Edited by wamwig
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2