20 Casualty Clearing Station, Boisleux Au Mont 1917

Model Railway Noob

Hi all,

Below is a captured KPEV G8.1 locomotive. The G8.1 was the numerous German (Prussian) locomotive. 50 of them went into war service.

The wagons are the 40 men, 8 horses wagon referred to in many first hand accounts by both British and American soldiers. There were several designs. I went to Mulhouse to photograph an example and to see more of the text used on them. In WWII the same wagons were used by the Germans to transfer Jews to death camps. In WWII, the Germans crammed 150 people in. 

Prussian_G_8.1_number_55_3345.jpg

update01.jpg

update03.jpg

KPEV-Logo.jpg

carnet06_09.jpg

images.jpeg

update01a.jpg

update02.jpg

• Like 2

I've just bought this railways at war (WWI) DVD. It is pretty good for those who are interested. It is narrated by Major Tonie Holt of the war tour books fame. Whilst he is knowledgeable about war, he fumbles through some of this speculating which was a bit disappointing. It's a shame the publishers didn't research it better first.

There is as lot of footage for narrow gauge and some good coverage of railway guns. Some British footage, a lot of American and some France. It is worth the money. 

If Callum reads this it shows your Baldwin 2-8-0 ROD moving :)

B00B4FAGFY.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning,

After my wagon post, a member sent me a message with some information about some more accurate wagon of the war period. I ordered a few of these and then found some that are extremely similar to the Mulhouse museum example that I photographed. They are again made by REE Models that made my US army pack. They aren't cheap but they are well detailed. The only drawback was that these models were marked with the PLM. However I can either live with that or cover it over with one of the others. Since then I found some AL region wagons in grey that would be good being pulled by the US army 2-8-0 Pershing, so they are coming from France too. The original wagon seller from France contacted me to say he had two more in stock so they will be here at some point . I will have two trains worth.

Here are some images of the wagon packs. The pack won model of the year in France in 2014. They are no longer produced but there are a few around in French shops.

I may paint the door handles black and I have added the Hunt couplings. 

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

wagon.jpg

• Like 4

On 03/08/2020 at 13:56, Chris hndrsn said:

I like your work. What brand are your ETAT wagon couvert?

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris, sorry missed this. The wagons are all Roco. The REE models are much better though. The others I have coming from France are Piko Wagon Couvert OCEM SNCF 

4 hours ago, Model Railway Noob said:

Good morning,

After my wagon post, a member sent me a message with some information about some more accurate wagon of the war period. I ordered a few of these and then found some that are extremely similar to the Mulhouse museum example that I photographed. They are again made by REE Models that made my US army pack. They aren't cheap but they are well detailed. The only drawback was that these models were marked with the PLM. However I can either live with that or cover it over with one of the others. Since then I found some AL region wagons in grey that would be good being pulled by the US army 2-8-0 Pershing, so they are coming from France too. The original wagon seller from France contacted me to say he had two more in stock so they will be here at some point . I will have two trains worth.

Here are some images of the wagon packs. The pack won model of the year in France in 2014. They are no longer produced but there are a few around in French shops.

I may paint the door handles black and I have added the Hunt couplings. 

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

wagon.jpg

Very nice indeed! Dare I ask how much?

34 minutes ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Very nice indeed! Dare I ask how much?

Hi Callum,

The two-wagon packs are normally €65.90 per pack. However, these were on sale (fortunately) from here at €49.90 and they are in stock right now : https://www.jura-modelisme.fr/accueil/27489-ree-modeles-rewb247-set-de-2-wagons-couverts-ocem-plm.html

wb-248.JPG

Edited by Model Railway Noob
Added image
  • Thanks 1

Work still in progress!

I started to take a few photos around the layout, now that some of the models and soldiers are glued in place. However, I discovered that with these close up shots, some of my painting is very messy with bits missing and there is still far more of the snow left from Christmas than I thought there was. I guess that is the problem with a 55 year old (nearer 56) using the naked eye instead of magnifying aids :)It is nice to see the layout more populated though.  

On a different note, some of you will remember me saying that after two failed attempts at scratch building the perfect looking hospital tents more commonly seen in these hospitals, I gave up and settled for second best. Whilst a wide variety of canvas and sizes were used, these aren't quite right. Many different styles of huts were also used. I am considering pulling up the centre row of tents which are the tents I like least and replacing them with an Adrian and two Tarrant huts. These were made by a large team of female carpenters based in Calais and assembled on-site by the Royal Engineers. The war diary described orders for these huts as well as the small and larger Nissen huts I have already. The often started with canvas and replaced them with wooden huts. I noted several other pieces of evidence to support the exact  location of the hospital as the one I identified. I am likely to go over this site with some scrutiny in the future with a few to increasing the size of my WWI battlefield finds collection.

There are a few US Marine medical troops on the layout that were attached from September 1917 and I have lots more French and British to add as well as more stretcher and wheelchair cases. More weathering is needed too. 

04.jpg

05.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

• Like 4

The last batch of French wagons arrived yesterday. These four were made by Piko. Apologies for the photos. There is a window immediately behind the layout so I am always taking the photos into a brighter light. I should have taken them last night but I am in the middle of building a desktop home cockpit for flight simulations. 

newvan1.jpg

newvan2.jpg

newvan3.jpg

• Like 2

On 14/08/2020 at 07:45, Model Railway Noob said:

The next batch of wagons arrived from France. They are a mixture from the ETAT and AL. All have Hunt couplings installed as well as the locomotive pulling them.

Can I ask the shop/website you are buying these from. I am trying to by myself some as well and am having trouble with the stores responding to emails.

Chris

• RMweb Gold
On 13/08/2020 at 22:45, Model Railway Noob said:

The next batch of wagons arrived from France. They are a mixture from the ETAT and AL. All have Hunt couplings installed as well as the locomotive pulling them.

photoa.jpg

photob.jpg

photoc.jpg

photod.jpg

Sorry to be "difficult", but those vans date from 1919. OCEM were presumably asked to come up with a design to replace stock lost during the war.

At the time of WW1, Alsace-Lorraine did not exist as such. It was Elsass-Lothringen from 1870 to 1919.

I think that most vans at the time of WW1 would have had pitched roofs rather than curved.

Hi Joseph,

I am aware that they are 1919 OCEM wagons as it said that on the website and the box. However they are the closest I have seen and carry the text which saves me having to put it on. With regard to the roof design, I have seen three different designs from the war period and mentioned that above. The museum example has the same roof these wagons have (also shown above).  Some of the tanks show in the layout didn't enter service until May 1918 I understand but this layout is from about mid 1917.  

• RMweb Gold
On 21/08/2020 at 11:35, Chris hndrsn said:

Can I ask the shop/website you are buying these from. I am trying to by myself some as well and am having trouble with the stores responding to emails.

Chris

It's France! They have probably gone away for August.

Not sure what the stock position would be on these lovely REE wagons which, I think, will have sold very well. Filled a big gap in the market.

Pierre Dominique perhaps the best option but I have not dealt with them for a while. Jura Modelisme usually reliable too.

On 21/08/2020 at 11:35, Chris hndrsn said:

Chris

Hi Chris,

The last batch were from a French dealer on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/laiguilleur66?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

The REE models are from two French sellers: https://www.jura-modelisme.fr/ and https://www.easy-miniatures.com

Everything was well packaged and arrived relatively quickly. Communication was also excellent. I would buy from all three again.

I've bought some additional troops for the layout. I felt I should have more variety and civilians. I have ordered 2 Mack trucks, a Vauxhall staff car, a Renault FT-17 command vehicle and some civilians with their farming carts and stock. Some of this has arrived, so I have some painting to do.

I am looking at replacing the middle tents and have some huts ordered to try out. I have been researching huts and have discovered that over 20 types were made during WWI. I know from the war diary that several of these were ordered and used in the camp.  Some time ago I saw a photo that showed the inside of 'hospital Nissen hut'. Unusually the roof seemed to have skylight windows across the top. I have searched and not found images of this type but have now seen Nissen's patent for it with the design plans. With this in mind I am trying to work out how I can convert my Nissen huts into the hospital versions.

I watched DCC Concepts videos on soldering. I have never been very good or confident at it and find it a chore. I bought a better iron and what a difference it makes. I might finally get around ot those 5x 009 locomotives I have yet to build. They are white metal and brass. I have the engines too but the models have been sitting in a box for about 18 months.

20200828_113515.jpg

car.JPG

renault ft17 command.JPG

truck1.JPG

truck2.JPG

20200828_113503.jpg

37ef1491c43df549c19ab66d757fb353--krieg-first-world.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all, another long delay. I seem to have less time now that I am retired. I also enjoy online gaming and wildlife photography so they are competing with my model railway interests.

I recently tried putting some DCC sound decoders into some locomotives. I have only ever used DC but the CCS layout can be both; or DCC for 00 and DC for 009 and vice versa. However I have been trying this out with my test track some of you have seen before. I was filming some military trains for Youtube and my brother suggested I add some scenery so it is less board like. I have now done this but it is still mainly for running in new locomotives as I cannot reliably do it on the CCS layout and I don't yet have a large home layout. The DCC stuff went well until I ordered some Hornby TTS sound equipped locomotives and both decoders are faulty. The sound decoders I fitted myself seem to work well but they are in Class 47 and 66 locomotives. I have a few more to try but I have been busy collecting royal train packs.

You may have seen above that I have never been happy with my tents, so I decided to rip them up and replace them with wooden huts. I have researched WWI huts quite extensively and at least 20 types in total were used. The officer commanding 20 CCS ordered several types in the autumn of 1917 and these were installed by the Royal Engineers. I tried out various layouts (see photo) before deciding on the final layout. I have still to decide on lighting or being able to see through windows. That would mean an awful lot more modelling. However I may compromise and go for lighting with curtains closed to give some atmosphere. I managed to damage the sister's Nissen hut but I will probably try to repair this.

I have gathered a lot more detail for the layout including some French civilian farmers. Farming continued in many of the areas where the CCSs were put up and many of these became casualties of shelling and bombing. First hand accounts of nurses refer to treating adults and children.

I have so much to do it is a bit off-putting! I suppose I am not the only one to feel like that.

test track.jpg

coal wagons.jpg

tents removed.jpg

damage.jpg

decision.jpg

to do list.jpg

• Like 2